• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Biff Tannen

Franchise Quarterback on a Rookie Contract
Staff Member
Reaction score
Just speculation so far.

Kirk Herbstreit would be ‘shocked’ if college football is played this fall

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/27/college-football-kirk-herbstreit-shocked/

In the midst of the growing coronavirus pandemic, Mack Brown earlier this week expressed concern about whether or not the college football season would be played as scheduled. Whether it would be a partial season. Or no season at all.

“There is a fear of ‘would we have a season?’ ‘Would we have a partial season?’ ‘What does a partial season mean,’” North Carolina head coach said. “There is a great concern because of the remedy that comes in with football.

“The biggest problem is you’re not sure when it ends, and we can’t get those answers at this point.”

Compared to one prominent college football personality, Brown is downright optimistic.

During a radio interview Thursday night, Kirk Herbstreit was asked about the prospects of teams taking the fall this season. According to the ESPN television personality, he would be “shocked” if it happened.

“I’ll be shocked if we have NFL football this fall, if we have college football. I’ll be so surprised if that happens,” Herbstreit stated, by way of TMZ.com.

Yeah the rubes that love football the most are costing themselves a football season.

Ed Orgeron did a coronavirus press conference with the LA governor last week.

Football coaches could play a very important role in getting the word out. They are high profile representatives of academic institutions who can be very effective messengers.

Skipping a season is really gonna screw up OOC schedules.

Also, you'd think the NCAA would have to expand rosters for a year or two, but that cost would just be passed to the institution.

So, probably a dumb question, but why couldn't you have a college football season that started in January if need be (if that's really the earliest time that it could be started)? Plenty of time in the remainder of the academic year if it can't get started at its usual time.

DM: "If you people will just stay at home for real, I'll take that $8 million for my buyout."

Interesting. Everyone's getting tired of the Big 12 getting a slot in the playoff, just so they can lose, but this article offers some insight into what other conferences are allowing this spring, while Riley gets his excuses ready.

Lincoln Riley says Big 12 teams at disadvantage compared to other P5s in wake of coronavirus

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...compared-to-other-p5s-in-wake-of-coronavirus/

Oklahoma head coach Lincoln Riley has expressed his concerns about how the Big 12 has handled things so far, suggesting it puts the Sooners and every other Big 12 team at a disadvantage.

“Our conference has been more stringent on it,” Riley said in a radio interview with KREF on Thursday (according to a Norman Transcript report. “So that hasn’t been a positive in that it hasn’t really been an equal playing field.”

Riley made note that coaches in the ACC, for example, have been able to stay in somewhat direct communication with their players through the use of video conferencing technology. The ACC has also allowed for players to receive gear for training through the mail, while the Big 12 has not yet made that option available. Coaches in the Big Ten have also been able to hold conference video calls with players during this abrupt stoppage in spring.

The SEC is reportedly set to offer football instruction via remote technology, according to 247 Sports. In addition, the University of Florida is looking to endorse regulation of what a program is allowed to provide players with respect to nutrition.

“Nutritionally, right now the biggest thing we have in place is the education,” Florida strength and conditioning coach Nick Savage told 247 Sports. “Our job is to coach them, teach them, show them, educate them, all those things. Now behind the scenes we’re working on a few things that we’re trying to get accomplished, but obviously we’re waiting to hear back if it’s all approved and things like that.”

All I really care about right now is the Wake Forest - Notre Dame in Charlotte in December and having a big tailgate and getting wasted with my friends.

Also, hope the world gets over this pandemic so it all goes down as planned.

So, probably a dumb question, but why couldn't you have a college football season that started in January if need be (if that's really the earliest time that it could be started)? Plenty of time in the remainder of the academic year if it can't get started at its usual time.

Good question. It would mess with the NFL schedule but why couldn’t the NFL start in January if necessary. Both are too lucrative to give up just because of the schedule.

Silver lining to lack of practice is Newman not getting a ton of practice time in a new scheme.

Silver lining to no season is Newman not getting to play at UGA.

Let me guess - you've never attended a late November game in places such as Blacksburg or Boone. Weather in January becomes a huge consideration.

Let me guess - you've never attended a late November game in places such as Blacksburg or Boone. Weather in January becomes a huge consideration.

Clearly they’d have to change up the schedule due to weather. Some teams wouldn’t be able to host until March. Some teams would have to give up conference home games to get them back next year. Some Big Ten games would need to be moved to neutral sites.

Or places like Nebraska, Minnesota, Michigan, Colorado, etc.

I mean, if the options are not have a college football season at all or play some cold games in January and February, are we really canceling the season due to weather? Rejigger the schedule to minimize the cold games or find some neutral site options indoors. Heck, you could wait until February to start and have it end in May (by not having the ridiculously long layoff between conference championships and playoffs starting). The large majority of the early-season slate is a waste of time anyways with the P5 beating up on all of the Bethune-Cookmans of the world. But not even considering it due to weather would be embarrassing.

When sports return (when being the big question obviously), the schedule of seasons just isn't gonna be perfect. There's gonna be overlap with other leagues, etc. That's just the reality of the situation.

Right. The powers that be aren’t giving up all that money because it’s cold in some places.

I think you could see the NFL temporarily relocating the Bills, Pats, Bears, and a few others to Orlando, San Antonio, San Antonio, San Diego, Oklahoma City and such.

College football would have to figure something similar out with neutral site games. But none of that matters is classes are all online for all of 2020-21.

No way there is a football season this year.

There will be more people testing positive for Coronavirus for a long time.

The only way I see the season happening is if test are so plentiful that all players are able to be tested before games and most practices. Until that time there will be no approved contact sports.

Will be even longer before spectators return.

Silver lining to lack of practice is Newman not getting a ton of practice time in a new scheme.

Silver lining to no season is Newman not getting to play at UGA.

I mean to each his own, but are you actively pulling for Newman to fail? I’m happy for the dude...He has a hell of an opportunity to prove he’s a top tier QB. He also played VERY good football for us in the short time we had him. I can’t bring myself for cheering against one of our own.

I had some issues with Tabari transferring because he would’ve played a lot of snaps for us...But Newman made a bold, medium risk, high reward move. I wish nothing but the best for the guy.

Back