• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Here are just my current thoughts on this based on reading articles with quotes from various AD's.

Comments by AD's in a couple of articles.
AD's really want to play a football season, because the loss of that revenue would be devastating (would basically be making decisions on what programs to keep running).
They will not play college sports if college students are not on campus in the fall.
They will not play college sports without fans. (If it is not safe for fans to be there it is not safe for student-athletes to be there).
When they play they don't want to have to play a partial season because it gets shut down. (This leads me to believe that spring is starting to become more likely than fall).

A few thoughts that are my opinion.
First, there is no way college sports will return before professional sports will return. NCAA and Universities will want to watch what professional leagues do and whether there is a safe way to play before letting SA's play again.

I have a hard time seeing football starting on time this fall even if things go well. it looks unlikely that any colleges are going to have students on campus this summer, and some have already cancelled all summer camps, etc. So I expect the NCAA will ultimately extend the ban on any athletic activities until fall semester. That means in SA's being on campus doing S&C, 'voluntary' workouts, etc. Even if the students are allowed back on campus this fall the SA's will basically been on their own since mid-March - around 5 months. They are not going to be in condition to play games in a matter of weeks.

I think a college basketball season is really unlikely. It makes less money for all but 4 P5 Universities than football and having thousands of people indoors together during winter seems like a bad idea.

If professional sports are not playing games by mid-July i don't see college sports in the fall. Decisions likely have to be made before then on whether students will be on campus, and whether sports can be allowed.

I have difficulty believing that the type of testing that would be needed is going to be available this fall for the number of football games that take place each week.

I last thought.What is happening in Singapore right now causes me alot of concern. They had everything under control and then missed some cases in migrant dormitories and now have had 4,500 cases in the last 4 days, around 7,000 in the last 2 weeks - almost all their cases. if it is easy to spread in migrant dormitories, is it likely to be easy to spread in college dormitories? And if it is, does that make it less likely Universities will have students live on campus until a vaccine is ready?

https://time.com/5824039/singapore-outbreak-migrant-workers/

Even in dorms that are set up in suites, the risk of exposure would be significant. Then you throw in the crowds in the dining halls. Large lecture hall classes are certainly out for the time being. It would be interesting to hear whether colleges are scrambling to increase bandwidth before August.

Don't see this happening, but if the CDC/NCAA/ACC etc. got to the point where they would allow fans at games this fall but still requiring 6' social distancing in the seats, by my very crude/quick calculation that would accommodate about 6,000 fans in general seating(not counting the suites). If you made some reasonable accommodation where immediate family members could sit side-by-side (and for season tickets not purchased by businesses, I'm guessing the majority of season tiks are immediate family), you could potentially get that number up to 8-10,000. I have no idea what Wake's season ticket base is, but that number may come close to covering all of our season ticket holders, in which case you're not having to "cull" who goes to the games, i.e. season ticket holders would fill close to 100% of available seats which is the case at a Clemson or an Alabama every year. But for those football factories, that scenario and the negative backlash from regular ticket holders may not be worth the butt-hurt and carry-over from 75% of your fan base for just one season. But again assuming Wake does not have 15,000+ season tickets, I could see a scenario for getting fannies in the seats w/o having to turn away regular season ticket holders.

I’m pretty pessimistic about getting back on campus in the Fall. Some private schools may take the risk because they don’t have the capacity to go online or because they’re willing to take whoever is willing to come to campus and will put everyone in singles and cut class sizes for social distancing because they need the cash.

I think the most likely scenario things improve enough that football, men’s basketball, and women’s basketball play all starting between Jan-March 2021. The main reason other sports won’t play is that it would be hard for all teams to budget to field those sports without knowing how much money they’ll make in a post-COVID world especially with Spring semester football season.

Sounds like some Tarheel sold the market short in March or cornered the market on PPE. Neither would surprise me.

Can you imagine the outrage this announcement would have brought on this board if Manning had not been dismissed/bought-out/whatever by now.

Georgia- Florida game 1980 on ESPNU. Herschel (freshman tailback from Wrightsville) with over 200 yards in the third quarter.

Considered making a separate post for this, but I'll put it here:
Harbaugh's frequently goofy as fuck, but I think this might be worth weighing over.
I'm of two minds on it. Also, what are the impacts on recruiting? Would they have to return to the school they were at or could they go to another, effectively reopening their recruitment?
Harbaugh advocates rule changes for NFL draft http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ollege-football-players-flexibility-nfl-draft
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Apparently, at least some if not all Power V Conference Commissioners think that FBS Football can and will go on as scheduled in the Fall even if:

- Students are not back on campus
- Some conference schools cannot or will not go forward with football
https://watchstadium.com/will-college-football-return-if-students-cant-return-to-campus-conference-commissioners-weigh-in-05-07-2020/

Table is being set for the SEC and Big 12 to play football this Fall even if other schools or conferences do not.

Harbaugh's frequently goofy as fuck, but I think this might be worth weighing over.
I'm of two minds on it. Also, what are the impacts on recruiting? Would they have to return to the school they were at or could they go to another, effectively reopening their recruitment?
Harbaugh advocates rule changes for NFL draft http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ollege-football-players-flexibility-nfl-draft

Harbaugh trying to get good OSU players to the NFL sooner so he has a prayer at a victory. Smart.

The draft age doesn't need to be messed with. Football is great the way it is. However, I'd definitely be in favor of letting players not drafted come back to school, if they have eligibility remaining. Maybe create some sort of more formal draft evaluation process like the NBA has as well.

This is interesting. it's easy to poke holes in from a competition perspective, as it would do away with the five years to play four seasons rule and just give every player five years of eligibility.

create a "clean, clear and concise" rule that each player gets five years of eligibility and eliminates the redshirt rules that currently limit a player to four years of participation during a five-year window.

It would also make roster management a nightmare.

It would also potentially allow the blue bloods to stockpile even more highly talented players:

He said he also would like to get rid of the "hard cap" that currently restricts teams from signing more than 25 new scholarship players per year.

I'm definitely in favor of players having better information before entering the draft though.

"There are 'early bloomers' capable of competing in the NFL and earning a livelihood at an earlier age," Harbaugh wrote in the letter. "The goal would be to create a scenario that makes adjustments for all current and future student‐athletes that puts the timeline for transition to professional football at their discretion and that of their family. I propose an option that allows them to make the decision that is best for them."

Harbaugh also said he would like to see rules that allow college football players to consult with agents for advice before signing professional contracts, as long as the athlete doesn't receive any compensation as part of that relationship. Under Harbaugh's proposed plan, a player would be allowed to enter his name in the draft and return to school if he is not picked in the seven rounds of the draft. If a player is selected in the draft or signs a free-agent contract, he would relinquish the rest of his college eligibility under Harbaugh's plan.

However, not much good is going to come of having a 19-year old, who just finished his freshman season, enter the draft and get picked in the sixth round.

Harbaugh trying to get good OSU players to the NFL sooner so he has a prayer at a victory. Smart.

The draft age doesn't need to be messed with. Football is great the way it is. However, I'd definitely be in favor of letting players not drafted come back to school, if they have eligibility remaining. Maybe create some sort of more formal draft evaluation process like the NBA has as well.

Yeah, I can see that as part of it. But, the thing is, the schools thatare currently reloading every year are just going to keep reloading. I think theprograms that are going to get hurt by this proposal will be the mid and lower level P5 teams and the G5 teams who put in a lot of work with a three star recruit, only to see them leave at the last minute because some college sophomore from Clemson is going to get drafted and Dabo can now bring in 28 players this year.

Sounds like some Tarheel sold the market short in March or cornered the market on PPE. Neither would surprise me.

Was a gift from the CEO and founder of Grady-White boats. I'm a little surprised he could afford to give over $15 million, because he's donated millions to other causes and the company is by no means huge. Guess the boat business is doing well.

I'm perfectly fine with the PAC12 not playing this year.

This isn't it. That league is unpredictable which is something that is too rare in CFB these days. Plus you get truly insane shit like the UCLA-Wazzu game from last year

Was a gift from the CEO and founder of Grady-White boats. I'm a little surprised he could afford to give over $15 million, because he's donated millions to other causes and the company is by no means huge. Guess the boat business is doing well.

You priced a brand new G-W boat lately ?

EXhk_NtXQAARPCp

Back