• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The 2020-21 College Football Thread: Alabama Unleashes Bold Familiar Flavor on CFB !!

Edit to add that regarding Tabari, he didn’t really have a clear vision or plan for himself...he just seemed to have sour grapes about not being the to target. To me, that Was a dumb ass decision but I still didn’t want him to fail.

Newman has a plan, vision and legitimate NFL aspirations. He will be in a better chance to achieve those dreams by playing next to and against NFL talent every single week.

Edit to add that regarding Tabari, he didn’t really have a clear vision or plan for himself...he just seemed to have sour grapes about not being the to target. To me, that Was a dumb ass decision but I still didn’t want him to fail.

Newman has a plan, vision and legitimate NFL aspirations. He will be in a better chance to achieve those dreams by playing next to and against NFL talent every single week.

No reason to fully rehash this argument but I disagree with your last statement. He got on the radar at Wake and plenty of QBs come out of tiny schools. Also, I think Newman checked out on us pretty early last year.

No reason to fully rehash this argument but I disagree with your last statement. He got on the radar at Wake and plenty of QBs come out of tiny schools. Also, I think Newman checked out on us pretty early last year.

While leading us to another bowl game and putting up silly numbers?

Athletic departments are going to do whatever they can to play football games. At most FBS schools, and even many FCS schools, football funds 80% or more of the athletic department. No football means that colleges are going to start cutting sports and cutting jobs. If preventing that means playing games in January in Minnesota, they will play games in January in Minnesota.

The one other problem for college football is that, for other sports playing without fans hurts, but does not kill, as the vast majority of income for most sports comes from TV. But if big time college football teams are forced to play games without fans, that is a ton of ticket and concession revenue that schools aren't ever going to get back. The TV revenue helps, but if Michigan misses out on a bunch of 100,000 fans paydays, that's a huge loss. Maybe people will have short memories, but hard to believe that, in a few months, even if restrictions are largely lifted everyone is going to be fine playing games in packed stadiums.

Athletic departments are going to do whatever they can to play football games. At most FBS schools, and even many FCS schools, football funds 80% or more of the athletic department. No football means that colleges are going to start cutting sports and cutting jobs. If preventing that means playing games in January in Minnesota, they will play games in January in Minnesota.

The one other problem for college football is that, for other sports playing without fans hurts, but does not kill, as the vast majority of income for most sports comes from TV. But if big time college football teams are forced to play games without fans, that is a ton of ticket and concession revenue that schools aren't ever going to get back. The TV revenue helps, but if Michigan misses out on a bunch of 100,000 fans paydays, that's a huge loss. Maybe people will have short memories, but hard to believe that, in a few months, even if restrictions are largely lifted everyone is going to be fine playing games in packed stadiums.

Michigan fans may be crazy enough to brave blizzards. Even if fans are allowed, whether most schools average 50% of capacity is questionable. A lot of fans will not buy season tickets for a mid-Winter schedule but wait and check the forecast.

While leading us to another bowl game and putting up silly numbers?

I think the kid is crazy talented as shown by the first half of the season. I think he and the whole team hit a wall last year. Whether that was checking out or just the buzzsaw of Clemson and VT I certainly don’t know (‘Cuse and Mich. St losses were bad). At the end of the day I’m a WF fan and that’s all. I’m not rooting for Newman because I don’t root for UGA.

Yeah, at the end of the year, UNC-CH would up being our best win. And we got them before they started playing well.

UNC-CH and Utah State are the only two teams we beat that finished with winning records. Both went 7-6.

We beat one P5 opponent that finished with a winning record.

I’ve been told by someone in direct contact with a few Power 5 ADs that they are contingency planning for college football season in the spring during what essentially would be spring ball under ordinary circumstances. Seems like solely a backup option at the moment. Not sure how broadly it’s being considered at this stage, sounds like individual schools or small groups working through alternatives at this point.

Back