• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

i just lost my first patient to COVID since vaccines have been available. So unnecessary. Older guy who was not vaccinated. Sounds like he got if from his grandson, who he was taking care of a few days weekly. I'm only in an outpatient clinic, so wasn't there with him. We communicated via his portal during the process. He started out stubborn and left the hospital against medical advice before family brought him back a few days later. He refused our COVID nurse support while he was back home. I had to check in with him multiple times daily to make sure he was ok. It was chilling experiencing it with him when he went back in, especially when he got to the point that he realized "my odds aren't good". He deteriorated quickly. His last couple messages were nonsensical. The last message he sent where he seemed to have some insight, he asked me for advice. I started with reinforcing that he do everything the doctors ask of him this time and provided some words of encouragement. I finished by telling him that when (edited from "if") you get out, tell your family, friends, anyone you care about that is eligible for the vaccine, to get vaccinated as soon as they can. He didn't get out.
It is a different feeling. Normally, when I am informed that I've lost a patient, I stop whatever I am doing. i reflect on my memories of them and who they were. In the midst of sadness, I find gratitude that I had the honor of being a part of their journey. All of those emotions are motivating to try give everything I have to the patients that are still in front of me. Knowing the loss I will one day feel, makes even those mundane moments with them special.
This time, I just felt tired.

RIP, Jim.

Sorry to hear that, TR.

This is not necessarily specific to your patient, but just a reminder to everyone out there that Regen-COV2 monoclonal antibodies is an effective treatment for COVID, but it is an outpatient treatment and has to be used within 10 days of symptom onset (the sooner the better). It can also be used for prophylaxis in high-risk individuals. So, if you or friends/family are infected, you should discuss this option with your doctor. It's a option even if you have been vaccinated, and the indication is now pretty broad.

Anyway, how could some "expert" in some "university" halfway across the country know what my body and my family's bodies can do to handle viruses (if viruses are even real)? Liberals always want to tell everyone what is best for them. I know my body better than some egghead scientist who is sucking up my tax dollars with their phony-balony "research."

excuse me I have to go take my heartburn, joint pain, psoriasis, and depression meds

Thanks, Rafi (and those others of you who reached out).
Yes, we are lining a fair amount of patients up for regeron. Not always as fast as we'd like. Space/time at the infusion center being a limiting factor.

Misinformation is a deadly drug.

E9wy1AKXsAcCL0k

Just another sad story…

Wife hospitalized for covid gets home to find husband dead from the same virus: ‘It was like walking into a horror movie’

Lisa Steadman could not wait to go home to her husband.

The nail technician had spent more than a week in a Central Florida hospital recovering from a serious case of covid-19 while Ronald Steadman, who had also contracted the coronavirus, battled a milder case from home.
During many of their check-in phone calls, she relayed to him how scared she was of dying alone in the hospital. Her health was improving and so was his, he reassured her. Soon, they’d be back together at the Winter Haven, Fla., home they were in the middle of renovating.

But Ronald, 55, did not appear to be home when Lisa returned Aug. 11.

“Ron? Ron?” Lisa, 58, yelled while searching for him throughout the house.

Eventually, the barking of their three dogs led her to their bedroom.

When Lisa cracked open the door, she found Ron unresponsive on his side of the bed and their three dogs in distress. By then, his body had already begun decomposing, she told The Washington Post. The dogs looked as if they had not been fed or given water for at least two days, she said.

“I just went hysterical,” Lisa said. “It was like walking into a horror movie. That’s what I see now when I think of him.”

Neither Ron, who died of covid-19 complications, nor Lisa had been vaccinated, Lisa said. Both had agreed they would wait longer to schedule their shots. Lisa rarely got sick and left her house only for work, and Ron, who was in charge of running the couple’s errands during the pandemic, always wore his mask and stayed away from large crowds, Lisa said.

“Both of us thought that [the vaccine] came out so fast. How could they have done so much testing on it? I was just cautious about it,” she said. “It’s not that I was against vaccines.”

The couple, who met through a Christian dating website after losing their previous partners, were part of the tens of millions of Americans who have not yet received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine, which are available free to anyone 12 and older. Like the Steadmans, many people remain reluctant about the shots. Others have put off getting inoculated.

Nearly 52 percent of Floridians are fully vaccinated, according to data compiled by The Post. In the past week, new daily reported cases and deaths in the state rose nearly 10 and 66 percent, respectively, The Post’s coronavirus tracker data shows.

Health officials continue to stress that the vaccines significantly lower one’s chance of becoming severely ill or dying of the virus as the highly transmissible delta variant spreads across the country.

Ron, a mechanical and electrical engineer, was the first one to test positive Aug. 1, Lisa said. Doctors at the urgent care site he visited sent him home with medications and asked him to return if his condition worsened. Two days later, Lisa, who had gone to the emergency room because she started exhibiting symptoms, also tested positive. She was sent home, only to return days later after her oxygen levels dropped to 80 percent and she lost consciousness at home.

The couple kept in touch throughout much of her hospital stay, Lisa said. How are the dogs doing? How do you feel today? Have you called your family? Lisa said the couple would ask each other. After nearly a week in the hospital, Lisa reported feeling better. Ron was also improving, she said.

Days before she was expected to be discharged, Ron told her that his phone was not working properly. At one point when Lisa could not reach him, she called the Winter Haven Police Department to go check on him, she said.

Police called her back to report that her husband was doing fine, which the department confirmed to The Post. So when her phone call went straight to his voice mail Aug. 10, Lisa didn’t think much of it, she said. After all, Ron had said his phone wasn’t working and was known for being a deep sleeper. Police had already reassured her that he was doing okay. She told herself they would be reunited the next day when she was discharged.

“I thought he was just going to be fine and that his phone wasn’t working,” she said.

Local authorities later told her that he was likely already dead.

Lisa, who would have celebrated her fourth wedding anniversary with Ron on Oct. 28, said she expects to get vaccinated in September — a decision she had already made before leaving the hospital.

She has been hurt by comments on social media criticizing her decision not to get the vaccine earlier.

“I did what I thought was best for me,” Lisa told The Post. “Even if you don’t agree with me that I didn’t get the shot earlier, you don’t say, ‘I bet you wish you would have gotten the vaccine so your husband wouldn’t be dead.’ ”

She added: “We wanted to make sure [getting vaccinated] was safe.”

She plans to finish the home the couple were remodeling in honor of her husband. That’s what he would have wanted her to do, she said.

“That was Ron’s dream,” Lisa told The Post.

DeSantis already had his office issue a statement saying that he will appeal, while playing to his base.

Should it be in the political or non-political COVID thread to tell Eric Clapton "GFY". I'm not going to link to it but he's released an anti-vax song. What a POS.

Notice how people who say they just want to make sure the vaccines are safe never have a standard for what they’d consider to be safe.

Should it be in the political or non-political COVID thread to tell Eric Clapton "GFY". I'm not going to link to it but he's released an anti-vax song. What a POS.

Can we unban RJ so he can tell us again that we are all wrong and that Clapton is a good guy?

Notice how people who say they just want to make sure the vaccines are safe never have a standard for what they’d consider to be safe.

This is generally true. When I challenge them on what they are waiting on, they don't have a specific standard. I am happy to speak to that standard. But, it is just more time or more data. I can't really speak to infinitely "more".

[h=1]Veteran dies of treatable illness as COVID fills hospital beds, leaving doctors "playing musical chairs"[/h]
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-us-hospital-icu-bed-shortage-veteran-dies-treatable-illness/

Belville emergency room physician Dr. Hasan Kakli treated Wilkinson, and discovered that he had gallstone pancreatitis, something the Belville hospital wasn't equipped to treat.
"I do labs on him, I get labs, and the labs come back, and I'm at the computer, and I have one of those 'Oh, crap' moments. If that stone doesn't spontaneously come out and doesn't resolve itself, that fluid just builds up, backs up into the liver, backs up into the pancreas, and starts to shut down those organs. His bloodwork even showed that his kidneys were shutting down."
Kakli told Begnaud that his patient was dying right in front of him. Wilkinson needed a higher level of care, but with hospitals across Texas and much of the South overwhelmed with COVID patients, there was no place for him.

Roughly 24 hours after he walked into the emergency room, Daniel Wilkinson died at the age of 46.
Kakli told Begnaud that if it weren't for the COVID crisis, the procedure for Wilkinson would have taken 30 minutes, and he'd have been back out the door.
"I've never lost a patient from this diagnosis, ever," Kakli said. "We know what needs to be done and we know how to treat it, and we get them to where they need to go. I'm scared that the next patient that I see is someone that I can't get to where they need to get to go.
"We are playing musical chairs, with 100 people and 10 chairs," he said. "When the music stops, what happens? People from all over the world come to Houston to get medical care and, right now, Houston can't take care of patients from the next town over. That's the reality."

Most important thing for Texas just now is to make vaccination requirements illegal.

Back