• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

i mean physically removing the school board from a room doesn't make them not the school board

giphy_s.gif

Sick reference bro. Everyone knows your references are outta control.

Also, as long as you are posting in this thread, how do you feel about school dress codes and how do they square with your belief that schools can’t mandate kids wear masks?

Apologies for my travel plans interfering with your GOTCHA!!11 attempt. I will make sure next time to provide the Tunnels with an advance copy of my itinerary.

Personally I have never been a big fan of dress codes in public schools (uniform policy in a private school is another story) but the biggest difference I see is one is an additive restriction vs. subtractive.

Dress codes are limiting but school mask mandates (with no parental opt out) is additive. Your GOTCHA attempt would hold more water if dress codes forced parents into sending their children to school everyday wearing a hoodie.

Now I have a question for the Tunnels' scholars - Why not the push for mask mandates in schools back in 2009 - 2010 when 4X as many kids 17 and younger died from swine flu?

Also some interesting data below from the UK where kids under 12 were never masked in school.

wearing a hoodie? interesting example. can't begin to imagine where that thought came from.

col. where do you stand on the additive active shooter trainings with no opt out?

Now I have a question for the Tunnels' scholars - Why not the push for mask mandates in schools back in 2009 - 2010 when 4X as many kids 17 and younger died from swine flu?

There were many reasons:

1. There was a swine flu vaccine for kids down to age 0.
2. The numbers you quote for swine flu occurred with kids in school, no masking, and no social distancing. Had kids been in school last year without masks, the COVID numbers would have been much higher in kids.
3. We did not have nearly as much data in 2009 showing how effective masks and distancing are in preventing viral respiratory illness spread

Apologies for my travel plans interfering with your GOTCHA!!11 attempt. I will make sure next time to provide the Tunnels with an advance copy of my itinerary.

Personally I have never been a big fan of dress codes in public schools (uniform policy in a private school is another story) but the biggest difference I see is one is an additive restriction vs. subtractive.

Dress codes are limiting but school mask mandates (with no parental opt out) is additive. Your GOTCHA attempt would hold more water if dress codes forced parents into sending their children to school everyday wearing a hoodie.

Also some interesting data below from the UK where kids under 12 were never masked in school.

To back up Ravi
Are kids in school June 14 to July 6? From my frequent trips to Scotland I can attest that they are not.

wearing a hoodie? interesting example. can't begin to imagine where that thought came from.

col. where do you stand on the additive active shooter trainings with no opt out?

My teenage son practically lives in a hoodie, you stupid fuck.

There were many reasons:

1. There was a swine flu vaccine for kids down to age 0.
2. The numbers you quote for swine flu occurred with kids in school, no masking, and no social distancing. Had kids been in school last year without masks, the COVID numbers would have been much higher in kids.
3. We did not have nearly as much data in 2009 showing how effective masks and distancing are in preventing viral respiratory illness spread

This pretty much shuts down the colonel's argument but he won't understand it.
I am so tired of assholes trying to compare reality with preventive measures to ones without (#2).
In terms of number 3, pubs have made a huge deal about how Fauci didn't support masks initially and then changed. We didn't have data it would help, but knew we were screwed if everybody went out and consumed all the available masks. That would leave health care providers caring for patients with diseases like tuberculosis without adequate protection.

At this point, if you are arguing against masks or vaccines you are really misinformed or just a really shit person. Probably both.

It is certainly helpful to look at data, including from other countries, but you have to understand what you are looking at. A couple notes on this UK data:

1. In the UK, kids are tested twice per week and are kept in bubbles with a small subset of classmates
2. The "round 5" cohort in the data corresponds to very low COVID numbers across the UK, not just in schools. Delta didn't peak in the UK until late July.
3. 437 kids in England have died from COVID, which would be about 2600 deaths in the US, based on our larger population.
4. The UK data are helpful, but we already know that after just a few weeks the numbers are through the roof in the US in mask-optional schools

It took you 4 days to come up with this? Additive vs. subtractive is bullshit. Dress codes are additive. Girls shirts must have sleeves, no spaghetti straps...that requires parents to add sleeves or get new shirts. No rips in jeans requires parents to add new pants to a child's wardrobe. At my kid's middle school orientation this year, the principle spent 10 minutes talking about how if a girl grows a few inches over the course of the school year, it is the parent's responsibility to make sure her skirts/shorts are long enough and to buy new ones if they are too short. Also where is my opt out form for the dress code? Requiring a mask is no different, and it has a purpose, to try and reduce community spread of a deadly disease.

Using this terminology, the majority of school dress codes are additive. Kids have to wear shirts (that cover a certain amount of skin), shorts (that are not too short), and shoes (and specifically shoes with laces or velcro in elementary school).

The second tweet is a false equivalence. Swine flu and COVID-19 have very different patterns of infection.

Using this terminology, the majority of school dress codes are additive. Kids have to wear shirts (that cover a certain amount of skin), shorts (that are not too short), and shoes (and specifically shoes with laces or velcro in elementary school).

Exactly. If school boards just added masks to the standard dress code and phrased the mask mandates as subtractive like "No noses and mouths can be exposed to the open air" Angus "wouldn't be a big fan" but would find the code constitutionally acceptable.

At this point, if you are arguing against masks or vaccines you are really misinformed or just a really shit person. Probably both.

Lulz - I'm pro-vax so you are mistaken yet again, doc. This is becoming an alarming habit for such an expert.

Also have zero issues if you (or anybody else) wants to continue to mask up the rest of your lives. And zero issue if parents want to send their kids to school in masks through graduation. Enjoy the performative theatre.

My issue is forcing mask mandates on kids in school. The latest data from FL (which is a Covid hotspot and where DeSantis is literally killing children according to twitter and many on this board) has a case fatality rate of 0.0031% for kids 16 and under.

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/covid19-data/covid19_data_latest.pdf

Brad: making the Reff look less stupid for the last 18 months.

Seriously, why do you care if kids have to wear masks? The kids don't even care, and most of them think it's the right thing to do unless their bloviating asshole parents abuse them into thinking otherwise.

Brad: making the Reff look less stupid for the last 18 months.

Seriously, why do you care if kids have to wear masks? The kids don't even care, and most of them think it's the right thing to do unless their bloviating asshole parents abuse them into thinking otherwise.

My BIL fits this description. He told my sister that he wanted to sue the school. Like, how the hell would that even work? Spoiler alert - it wouldn't.

Angus has more travel planned this afternoon, but he will get back to you on this in a week or two when he returns.

Lulz - I'm pro-vax so you are mistaken yet again, doc. This is becoming an alarming habit for such an expert.

Also have zero issues if you (or anybody else) wants to continue to mask up the rest of your lives. And zero issue if parents want to send their kids to school in masks through graduation. Enjoy the performative theatre.

My issue is forcing mask mandates on kids in school. The latest data from FL (which is a Covid hotspot and where DeSantis is literally killing children according to twitter and many on this board) has a case fatality rate of 0.0031% for kids 16 and under.

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/covid19-data/covid19_data_latest.pdf

all lives matter. not just the .9969%

republicans are working harder to ban masks from schools than guns.

Back