• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Small Sample Size Deac weeps over the child masking anecdotes on the Tunnels.

Serious question though - When will it be safe enough for your children to take off the masks? What is the metric or threshold as a Tunnels' parent given that COVID isn't getting completely eradicated anytime soon?

I assume the physician in Dayton does not have admitting rights at that hospital, so he/she typically would not control the meds given to the patient on a daily (or hourly) basis.

That was my thought when I read this story. I sorta assume the family should be given a choice, either stay at the hospital and receive the care that the hospital doctors feel is appropriate and correct or be transferred to another hospital/facility with a doctor who will give them the care they want. I realize the patient is on a ventilator in the ICU, but that should be the choice offered to the family.

Even if it's crazy, I generally think people should maybe have some rights of choice of experimental drugs if they want it, but I get uneasy when judges are directing doctors for what medicines they have to give for a course of treatment.

Serious question though - When will it be safe enough for your children to take off the masks? What is the metric or threshold as a Tunnels' parent given that COVID isn't getting completely eradicated anytime soon?

Our personal metric has been <5% positivity rate for the two week avg. and a downward trend in cases with an eye on local vaccination rates.

When kids are allowed to have rips in their jeans...only then will I back off my masks in school demand.

Serious question? This is a serious issue yet you keep coming back with bullshit gotchas that don't even make sense. Rafi has been very patient to try to educate you. Yet, your arrogance persists.

When can we relax standards? When the R0 is close to one. When it is much above that, things will get out of control and we will not be able to care for people optimally, COVID or otherwise.

Easy. Once the following are met:

1. Vaccines available for ages 5-12
2. Low county community transmission rate (which is defined as fewer than 10/100,000 cases in the past 7 days and % positive less than 5% for the past 7 days)

it will happen more quickly when you mouth breathers stop fighting it. christ you guys are such fucking babies.

Yeah. The main reason people know about it is some study, right?

Good thread here about over 400 years of vaccines, vaccine mandates, anti-vax including pro-vaccine Founding Fathers.

Fascinating thread. Tangential, I can't read a twitter thread about Cotton Mather without posting about my favorite song from my favorite band, Pavement. They released a song in 1995 called "Give it a Day" that made reference to a disagreement that Increase Mather had with his father Cotton that was wrapped up in the witch trials and the founding of the country. The song also made reference to the "word spreading just like small pox in the Sudan" which I always took to mean that small pox did not spread in the Sudan because it is a desert and population densities are so low...but maybe it was a reference to Mather's role in the small pox vaccine. Malkmus was a history major at UVA in the 80's so he may have learned all this in class:

For simplistic reasons say an even 50/50 split of Republican and Democrats. Also to illustrate the point 100% white democrat vaccination rate, and a 50% overall white vaccination rate, what percentage does that clock the Republican dumb fucks at? White Trump Republican shouldn’t be lumped with everyone else because they are like a shitty dumber subspecies when it comes to vaccinations and pandemic control.

…its like Conservatism is a mental disorder causing people to construct a bunch of pretzel logic to explain away their inconsistent and contradictory positions, which are really just rooted in being a spoiled rotten American wanting their way all the time

Pretty good description…amazing a help-desk lackey could come up with this!

Fascinating thread. Tangential, I can't read a twitter thread about Cotton Mather without posting about my favorite song from my favorite band, Pavement. They released a song in 1995 called "Give it a Day" that made reference to a disagreement that Increase Mather had with his father Cotton that was wrapped up in the witch trials and the founding of the country. The song also made reference to the "word spreading just like small pox in the Sudan" which I always took to mean that small pox did not spread in the Sudan because it is a desert and population densities are so low...but maybe it was a reference to Mather's role in the small pox vaccine. Malkmus was a history major at UVA in the 80's so he may have learned all this in class:

Cool tune…confusing mixed-up lyrics, but the meaning shines through.

Crazy stuff…to be arguing so passionately against something as simple as mask mandates (in a respiratory-virus pandemic that’s killed 4.5 million people), as some are, is really sad. And stupid.

Wear a freaking mask. Follow the guidelines. The things being asked are not difficult.

Judges decreeing specific non-standard therapy for critically ill patients is…nuts. And quite unethical.

They see themselves as fighting a perpetual culture war and because the country is structured in their favor and everyone else is just trying to live their lives, they keep winning.

We need local, state, federal, and business leaders to go all in with vaccine and mask mandates. Force them to decide to live in a society or not.

As an aside, many in India used HCQ last summer, and then around August 2020 they switched to ivermectin. For several months India had very low COVID case and death rates, and the internet crazies claimed it was because of ivermectin. That's how a lot of the ivermectin talk started. Of course, in April-May of 2021 India got absolutely crushed by COVID (4000+ deaths daily), despite widespread ivermectin use. The ivermectin crowd doesn't mention this.

Seems like India, which does have a parasite issue, would reduce “comorbidities” by reducing parasitic infections, which would then help some with COVID numbers

I've now got several friends that are quarantined at home because their kids brought Covid home from school. The parents are vaccinated and the kids will probably be fine, but it's just another disruption to economic and social productivity that could be minimized and maybe avoided if the kids were required to wear masks at school. So fucking dumb of politicians like Desantis to fight this, when all it does make people sick and stifle economic recovery.

I've now got several friends that are quarantined at home because their kids brought Covid home from school. The parents are vaccinated and the kids will probably be fine, but it's just another disruption to economic and social productivity that could be minimized and maybe avoided if the kids were required to wear masks at school. So fucking dumb of politicians like Desantis to fight this, when all it does make people sick and stifle economic recovery.

but did the kids die?

Back