• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

My kindergartener is eating lunch either outside under a tent or in his classroom

my wife is a teacher.

I "remember" her experiences that she tells me about when she comes home from work.

maybe kids are spaced out 6 feet in some schools. Not every school; not even close.

This is on the schools, local school boards and local governments to set up a safe situation. We are >18 months into this now, why don't schools have plans in place yet? The answer is GOP and conservative politicians prefer to pretend this is a hoax and are blocking plans and funding to set up safe eating conditions.

This is on the schools, local school boards and local governments to set up a safe situation. We are >18 months into this now, why don't schools have plans in place yet? The answer is GOP and conservative politicians prefer to pretend this is a hoax and are blocking plans and funding to set up safe eating conditions.

exactly - i mean this fucking guy is still "just asking questions" about how people eat lunch like it's an interesting and valuable issue to bend all our minds towards

fuck off, conservatives

I'm generally in favor of mask wearing.

Serious question: what happens during lunch at schools?

They ideally would be spaced out. If they aren't, 30 minutes unmasked around a few people is better than 8 hours unmasked. It could be better, but the time axis still matters.

Bless all those sane parents who are dealing with this shit during these times. I can't imagine what it must be like. Just makes me furious.

They ideally would be spaced out. If they aren't, 30 minutes unmasked around a few people is better than 8 hours unmasked. It could be better, but the time axis still matters.

If dumb mother fuckers would stop pretending this is fake we could have invested in new cafeteria ventilation systems, or installed UV filtration, or invested in tents for outdoor eating, or adjusted schedules to reduce the density in the cafeterias during lunch, or some kind of plan could have been developed to mitigate and reduce the risks. Instead, with GOP governors blocking everything in the name of freedom, and local school boards kowtowing to insane people at public meetings, we've got basically nothing in large swaths of the country.

Yep. It’s been 18 months and school children have never been a policy priority.

it’s no wonder people hate americans. we are proudly and belligerently stupid.

exactly - i mean this fucking guy is still "just asking questions" about how people eat lunch like it's an interesting and valuable issue to bend all our minds towards

fuck off, conservatives

I'm asking questions because clearly others haven't - and yeah, it is a valuable issue to discuss. Feel free to blissfully ignore it if you wish

If dumb mother fuckers would stop pretending this is fake we could have invested in new cafeteria ventilation systems, or installed UV filtration, or invested in tents for outdoor eating, or adjusted schedules to reduce the density in the cafeterias during lunch, or some kind of plan could have been developed to mitigate and reduce the risks. Instead, with GOP governors blocking everything in the name of freedom, and local school boards kowtowing to insane people at public meetings, we've got basically nothing in large swaths of the country.

yeah, this seems like a valuable reason to point out the differences in preparedness across school systems

I'm asking questions because clearly others haven't - and yeah, it is a valuable issue to discuss. Feel free to blissfully ignore it if you wish

yeah, this seems like a valuable reason to point out the differences in preparedness across school systems

if this were true why not frame it "ok, masks are a bare minimum but what can we do about situations like the lunchroom?"

I mean the Gov. of Florida, for example, is not only not offering statewide leadership, he has literally prevented local school boards from acting locally. He is literally standing in the way and withholding funding and salary from local officials trying to manage a disaster. Fuck that guy.

I'm 100% behind redirecting public funds from the state university system of FL to K-12 education. As this board illustrates all too well, a number of state university departments could experience a little (a lot?) of belt-tightening. Is there a petition somewhere that I can sign?

But how do we solve for the states with Dem governors and deep blue local school boards?

my wife is a teacher.

I "remember" her experiences that she tells me about when she comes home from work.

maybe kids are spaced out 6 feet in some schools. Not every school; not even close.

I meant from what you remember as a kid in your school cafeteria

I meant from what you remember as a kid in your school cafeteria

yes, I know

I'm saying that the lunch process in place *today* at some schools is remarkably similar to what happened when I was a kid in my school cafeteria - tons of kids crammed into a relatively small space, and no hope of distancing

if some schools have the means and have made the changes to allow for distancing, filtration, etc., that is great. It's by no means universal, and I know this because I am familiar with at least some schools' processes currently in place

The systems we have in place were never suppose to be politicized the way that they are. You are completely tied by the leadership in your state by way of the governor and it trickles down to all aspects, very similar to what happened at the federal level. Like take North Carolina for example, the state public health department is decentralized from about 90 other local entities, which in turn are run by someone that is appointed by a county commissioner. The secretary of health and all other state levels are also appointed by the governor, usually no big deal you offer resignation and it’s a formality you stay on administration after administration.
Not anymore you put in place someone that will give you the predetermined answers you are looking for, essential the I did my research crowd is now also running shit. Anyways this plays out at every fucking level from the smallest school boards to the entirety of the federal government, and it’s being driven by a single one sided force.

Reading that Pfizer might get approval for kids 5-11 in October and is finalizing its data on kids 6 mos-5 to send to the FDA.

I'm 100% behind redirecting public funds from the state university system of FL to K-12 education. As this board illustrates all too well, a number of state university departments could experience a little (a lot?) of belt-tightening. Is there a petition somewhere that I can sign?

But how do we solve for the states with Dem governors and deep blue local school boards?

Good post! Makes a lot of sense!

But it doesn't say when he contracted Covid and the Facebook post is locked.

What do you think changed his mind?

Uhh, changes in local COVID numbers maybe. Several school boards reversed their votes in advance of the opening of schools. The vote changed from 5-4 against masks to 7-2 in favor. Do you think they all have COVID and are about to die ?

On Aug. 9, Fitch joined four other board members who voted against a motion to require students, teachers and staff to wear masks during the 2021-22 school year, The Shelby Star reported at the time. The motion failed 5-4, according to the Star.

On Aug. 18, the board voted again, this time mandating that masks be worn, WBTV reported.

Fitch, a Republican, joined six other members in voting in favor of masks during the Aug. 18 emergency session, the Star reported. It was not clear Tuesday why he changed his mind.

Back