• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

I'm hearing rumors that sleeping on a mypillow inoculates you against covid. FDA expected to sign off on this within days effectively ending the pandemic as we know it. The Whitehouse is reviewing a plan to send one to every 'Merican in counties trump won in '16 ensuring his reelection thus leaving the possibility of a three peat in play. #Dynasty

Easy cure: drink lots of milk, eat yogurt and cheese. Vitamin D kicks bradykinin's ass.

Yeah, that was the part where the write-up kind of veered off into voodoo land, but the big data approach to genetic analyses was interesting.

Is this what the 200 million HHS PR money is being spent on? Anyways even in their own ad they put a 12-18 month timeframe so vaccine in March or August it is, see ya then.

Astra Zeneca just reported an adverse reaction by one of its participants in Phase 3. Hopefully it won't halt things too long.

The pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca halted global trials of its coronavirus vaccine on Tuesday because of a serious and unexpected adverse reaction in a participant, the company said.

The trial’s halt, which was first reported by Stat News, will allow the British-Swedish company to conduct a safety review. How long the hold will last is unclear.

In a statement, the company described the halt as a “routine action which has to happen whenever there is a potentially unexplained illness in one of the trials, while it is investigated, ensuring we maintain the integrity of the trials.”

In large trials like the ones AstraZeneca company is overseeing, the company said, participants do sometimes become sick by chance, but such illnesses “must be independently reviewed to check this carefully.”

Last edited:
CEO's of several big players and leaders for developing a vaccine for Covid have pledged to not pressure FDA for rapid review. They claim to want to prove safety and effectiveness.

Hopefully it won't halt things? Seriously?

Hopefully people won't get hurt in this mad scramble for an election day hail mary "vaccine." This is why you don't rush this stuff.

Astra Zeneca just reported an adverse reaction by one of its participants in Phase 3. Hopefully it won't halt things too long.

The pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca halted global trials of its coronavirus vaccine on Tuesday because of a serious and unexpected adverse reaction in a participant, the company said.

The trial’s halt, which was first reported by Stat News, will allow the British-Swedish company to conduct a safety review. How long the hold will last is unclear.

In a statement, the company described the halt as a “routine action which has to happen whenever there is a potentially unexplained illness in one of the trials, while it is investigated, ensuring we maintain the integrity of the trials.”

In large trials like the ones AstraZeneca company is overseeing, the company said, participants do sometimes become sick by chance, but such illnesses “must be independently reviewed to check this carefully.”

So yeah, it sounds like the person got transverse myelitis, which is an inflammatory syndrome that affects the spinal cord. I wasn't really familiar with this but know that it causes neurological dysfunction that affects the communication with the spinal cord and periphery nerves. Looks like it is most connected to viral infections and can damage myelin sheaths (covers/protects nerve cell fibers - like MS). we will have to see if this is directly related to the drug or from an external/unrelated incident (infection or virus). let's see how well they were screening patients.

So yeah, it sounds like the person got transverse myelitis, which is an inflammatory syndrome that affects the spinal cord. I wasn't really familiar with this but know that it causes neurological dysfunction that affects the communication with the spinal cord and periphery nerves. Looks like it is most connected to viral infections and can damage myelin sheaths (covers/protects nerve cell fibers - like MS). we will have to see if this is directly related to the drug or from an external/unrelated incident (infection or virus). let's see how well they were screening patients.

I haven't read about this case, but if the patient did get transverse myelitis, then it is likely from the vaccine, and it will be extremely difficult to prove it is not from the vaccine. It is somewhat similar to Guillain-Barre syndrome, which is inflammation of the nerves, which can happen after a vaccination (though it is extremely rare).

I think this biggest concern with transverse myelitis in respect to this particular vaccine is the backbone of the vaccine being an adenovirus. I don't know what they did in respect to manipulation of the adenoviral vector they are using beyond making it replication incompetent but adenoviruses have been known to do unusual things and traffic to areas that are unexpected. In the vaccine field the adenovirus was one of the first viral vectors that became pretty mainstream until it was found to have a whole host of problems. The first being the immune memory of natural adenovirus infection that dampen any vaccine response thus requiring potent adjuvants and extremely high vaccine dosage. Then there is some that believe that adenoviruses have DNA integration capacity. Finally, there is some subtypes that transverse the blood brain barrier and target the CNS.

I find it interesting and somewhat concerning that our vaccine hopes rely on an adenoviral vaccine that I just listed has a whole lot of problems, a company that makes RNA vaccines that has never made a successful vaccine and some believe is more a Theranos than a viable vaccine company, and finally a vaccine that requires -80 cold chain storage limiting its distribution potential. Not to mention all these vaccines "potential success" are based on the ability to generate a large antibody response and not so much an actual complete immune response.

Back