• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Gotta get some of that Fauci’s Own Microchip Vinaigrette.

Someone on Reddit replied to that quote with "if they're trying to get MAGA with food, they shouldn't be using salads."

Yeah - what a joke. If you want to sneak the vaccine in on the anti-vax crowd, you better do it via Ho-Hos, french fries, and Salisbury steak TV dinners. Unless they are planning on doing it via ranch and bleu cheese dressings - aka dipping sauces.

as predicted, the next wave of stupid is upon us

Miami coach Manny Diaz breathes a sigh of relief that he's not the worst Manny Diaz in FL

Had a great argument with an anti-masker the other day, even though I tried to avoid the subject like the plague. I tried to give a non-confrontational, easy explanation - that it's clear that areas with high vaccination rates and high mask rates are doing better than those with very low rates, so the slight inconvenience of masking in areas where doctors say we should is no big deal to me. His argument was that the doctors don't know how or why any individual ACTUALLY got Covid and have no idea what they're talking about generally because they're guessing. I suggested they do actually know some facts about Covid, which he scoffed at. I was like, you're not a doctor, so how do you refute their medical advice so easily? To which he yelled well you're not a doctor either so you have no idea either just like I don't! He then considered his argument 100% won, without question.

Just to hear the argument boiled down to the idea that ignorance makes expertise meaningless was a great reminder of how absolutely pointless it is to argue about this stuff with these idiots. It's like the moment in Idiocracy when they realize they don't believe giving plants water makes them grow. Outrage-based tribal politics has just broken these people.

as predicted, the next wave of stupid is upon us

Yep. There have been a number of people arguing that it was only a matter of time before the anti-vaxxers went after other required vaccinations, if nothing else to try and eliminate the argument that since vaccinations are required for many people to attend school and other do other things that opposing the covid vaccine is dumb and hypocritical. Gotta own the libs, even if means eliminating other required vaccinations. It also fits perfectly with their rolling back the clock mantra - there's some articles stating that the person who helped introduce and pass the draconian TX abortion law now wants the courts and legislature to go after LGBT rights. Back to the Future indeed.

Had a great argument with an anti-masker the other day, even though I tried to avoid the subject like the plague. I tried to give a non-confrontational, easy explanation - that it's clear that areas with high vaccination rates and high mask rates are doing better than those with very low rates, so the slight inconvenience of masking in areas where doctors say we should is no big deal to me. His argument was that the doctors don't know how or why any individual ACTUALLY got Covid and have no idea what they're talking about generally because they're guessing. I suggested they do actually know some facts about Covid, which he scoffed at. I was like, you're not a doctor, so how do you refute their medical advice so easily? To which he yelled well you're not a doctor either so you have no idea either just like I don't! He then considered his argument 100% won, without question.

Just to hear the argument boiled down to the idea that ignorance makes expertise meaningless was a great reminder of how absolutely pointless it is to argue about this stuff with these idiots. It's like the moment in Idiocracy when they realize they don't believe giving plants water makes them grow. Outrage-based tribal politics has just broken these people.

Modern debate really comes down to who can yell the loudest. Just watch any school board meeting.

If Florida Republicans can roll back public school vaccine requirements, they can funnel more kids into private schools and charters that can set their own vaccination policies.

DCDeac, we can retire "avoid it like the plague." We know people don't avoid plagues anymore.

are other western countries as stupid as we are? i’m sure the rural french don’t like the elite parisians, but are they as confidently ignorant as brad and thereff?

No, I was just there in the rural areas of northeastern France, and aside from one guy, everyone was vaccinated and not confidently ignorant. They look at me with pity when we discuss health care or society in America.

The Daily Show visits an anti-masking rally at a school board meeting in Johnston County, NC and asks some questions to the protestors. Love the lady who said that her research indicated that Satanists wear masks, so...

confidently ignorant

We aren't that far away from "Brawndo has what plants crave."

The Daily Show visits an anti-masking rally at a school board meeting in Johnston County, NC and asks some questions to the protestors. Love the lady who said that her research indicated that Satanists wear masks, so...

These fools shouldn't be allowed to use the word "research." Looking at and believing conspiracy theory Facebook memes is pretty much the opposite of research.

This is actually a pretty classic exploitation of uncertainty to delay substantive action. There really isn't all that much uncertainty, but it is true that the medical community doesn't 100% know everything about how Covid works, which leaves the tiniest window for someone to say "they don't know!" Usually it is someone with an ulterior motive or that stands to profit from inaction. So, for example, with climate change, climate scientists have known for decades that increasing CO2 densities was going to affect global weather and climate, but we didn't know specifically when and where droughts were going to occur, so therefore: "Scientists have no idea!" Same thing with cigarettes...

...but in this case with masks and vaccines, the uncertainty holes are tiny and who is profiting? Like who is pushing these uncertainty holes and why? The profit motivation for tobacco to push cancer linkage uncertainty is obvious and the motivation for Exxon to sow uncertainty in climate is super clear, but who the fuck benefits from masking and Vaccine uncertainty?

The conservative media ecosystem and the GOP benefit. They get more clicks and sow distrust in institutions in the name of "freedom." They also can avoid accountability for their elected officials. Uncertainty holes help politicians like DeSantis skirt the fact most Florida deaths been among unvaccinated people AFTER the vaccine became widely available.

The conservative media ecosystem and the GOP benefit. They get more clicks and sow distrust in institutions in the name of "freedom." They also can avoid accountability for their elected officials. Uncertainty holes help politicians like DeSantis skirt the fact most Florida deaths been among unvaccinated people AFTER the vaccine became widely available.

GOTCHA!

Just another case of the media making Southerners look dumb.

Just another case of the media making Southerners look dumb.

is it media that is making southerners look dumb? seems like they are just filming their answers to questions.

hmmm....

Back