Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

I think this biggest concern with transverse myelitis in respect to this particular vaccine is the backbone of the vaccine being an adenovirus. I don't know what they did in respect to manipulation of the adenoviral vector they are using beyond making it replication incompetent but adenoviruses have been known to do unusual things and traffic to areas that are unexpected. In the vaccine field the adenovirus was one of the first viral vectors that became pretty mainstream until it was found to have a whole host of problems. The first being the immune memory of natural adenovirus infection that dampen any vaccine response thus requiring potent adjuvants and extremely high vaccine dosage. Then there is some that believe that adenoviruses have DNA integration capacity. Finally, there is some subtypes that transverse the blood brain barrier and target the CNS.

I find it interesting and somewhat concerning that our vaccine hopes rely on an adenoviral vaccine that I just listed has a whole lot of problems, a company that makes RNA vaccines that has never made a successful vaccine and some believe is more a Theranos than a viable vaccine company, and finally a vaccine that requires -80 cold chain storage limiting its distribution potential. Not to mention all these vaccines "potential success" are based on the ability to generate a large antibody response and not so much an actual complete immune response.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    Uh huh.
    There is a significant financial incentive to have a good vaccine. The companies won't make much on the vaccine, but the negative publicity from a bad vaccine could negatively impact sales of other lucrative products they market. There would be "guilt by association" for other products from the same manufacturer.

man, y'all a buncha killjoys. I was hoping to wait it out till vaccine time

Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post

Chump created this, knowingly. the blood of 200,000 Americans in on his hands. he knew what this virus would do before it was even reported in the US.

if a pharmaceutical company did this sort of disgrace, there would be a huge lawsuit...and has been.

this is like knowing there is a fire in a movie theater and leaving without telling anyone.

Woof. That guy launched directly into a scripted talking point with the same delivery as he heard from whatever fox or internet figure. Then you can see his brain kind of false start with the Woodward follow up question and then ah fuck it, this follow up talking point will still probably work.

Then there is the "I'm not afraid" guy who seems quite proud of himself. Hey dude, you're not some sort of badass; you're just a confused moron. And what sucks is he will pass it on to someone who will pass it on to someone that ends up dying from it. At this point, I just hope selfish/dumb people like that get it and die from it before they can pass it on to innocent people.

And the other thing that really pisses me off is when idiots like that say things like "we have to open the country back up." Hey selfish moron, YOU are the reason things aren't opening back up. If EVERYONE would have done the mask and social distancing thing months ago, we would be in a hell of a lot better position right now. There is no way I'm eating inside of a restaurant right now, mostly because I'm worried that some idiot like that will be in there also.

Quote Originally Posted by warak View Post
    Chump created this, knowingly. the blood of 200,000 Americans in on his hands. he knew what this virus would do before it was even reported in the US.

if a pharmaceutical company did this sort of disgrace, there would be a huge lawsuit...and has been.

this is like knowing there is a fire in a movie theater and leaving without telling anyone.
    Everything is fine meme

Of course.

The republican party is unfit to govern...

Yep
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

Companies with vaccines in phase 3 trials released their study designs, protocols and milestones.

Washington Post Article.

Johnson & Johnson announce the beginning of phase 3 trials for their vaccine. They plan to enroll 60,000 from multiple nations. This plan would have both the largest and most diverse cohort of any of the phase 3 trials so far.

The J&J vaccine is a single dose vaccine and can be stored for months in a refrigerator. All the others require two doses and have to be stored at super-cold temperatures.

This is the fourth vaccine in phase 3.

Washington Post article.

That would be awesome. As someone who is "at risk" I have to laugh at those who are anti-vaccine.
    Personally I have a spot on my left cheek for the J&J vaccine. A spot reserved on the right cheek for the Modena vaccine.
    And somewhere in between I'll take the Pfizer vaccine and the Astra Zeneca vaccine. I'm tired of being at risk. Bring it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Johnson & Johnson announce the beginning of phase 3 trials for their vaccine. They plan to enroll 60,000 from multiple nations. This plan would have both the largest and most diverse cohort of any of the phase 3 trials so far.

The J&J vaccine is a single dose vaccine and can be stored for months in a refrigerator. All the others require two doses and have to be stored at super-cold temperatures.

This is the fourth vaccine in phase 3.

Washington Post article.

Quote Originally Posted by DeacsPop View Post
    That would be awesome. As someone who is "at risk" I have to laugh at those who are anti-vaccine.
    Personally I have a spot on my left cheek for the J&J vaccine. A spot reserved on the right cheek for the Modena vaccine.
    And somewhere in between I'll take the Pfizer vaccine and the Astra Zeneca vaccine. I'm tired of being at risk. Bring it on.
    As long as the trials work out to show safety and effectiveness, I'll be right behind you in the vaccine line.

I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

The Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act is weak in the authority it gives the Food and Drug Administration to regulate these compounding pharmacies. The compounding pharmacies noted in the article took advantage of weaknesses in the law with respect to amount of product made and cleanliness conditions.

They way stepped over the line in claiming "FDA approval" for the product. Unfortunately, FDA and the Federal Trade Commission just don't have enough resources to effectively shutdown these operations. They are playing "whack-a-mole." The existing laws and regulations do not have sharp enough teeth to make it financially unattractive to do this kind of thing.

"Orphan Drug" status was supposed to be for developing drugs to treat rare medical issues. Rare meant less than 200,000 people with the particular disease or condition nationwide. Obviously Covid doesn't fit that.

You know that Brad has received those injections.

Good news for people who love bad news:

Birds are real.