• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Yeah I love the argument the vaccine doesn’t work when 40%, largely conservative dumb fucks, refuse to be vaccinated. Guess what vaccine people would say works really well, the Measles vaccine, don’t hear a whole lot about Measles in the good old USA except when vaccination coverage in a community drops, then you hear about outbreaks. What is the coverage percentage that causes measles to return you might ask? Why it’s less than 90-92% of a population vaccinated. Well damn that vaccine must not work, I mean can you imagine what measles looks like if only 60% were vaccinated. No you can’t imagine that because vaccines are a fucking public health intervention that’s good for society that have been politicized by a bunch of fucking cowards who themselves are vaccinated in a bid to stay in power and make money.

The problem is that easily digested short phrase "vaccines don't work" is much more influential on the populace than your explanation.

Damn; I have a call into my physician for his take but wondering out loud.
Joined a buddy for dinner last night; together maybe 10-15 minutes. He tested positive this morning because he was complaining about a cold. He was fully vaccinated.
I am also fully vaccinated, even a recent full Moderna booster.
Can I attend Thanksgiving festivities with all vaccinated people? If I have to isolate, how long?
Damn......

Damn; I have a call into my physician for his take but wondering out loud.
Joined a buddy for dinner last night; together maybe 10-15 minutes. He tested positive this morning because he was complaining about a cold. He was fully vaccinated.
I am also fully vaccinated, even a recent full Moderna booster.
Can I attend Thanksgiving festivities with all vaccinated people? If I have to isolate, how long?
Damn......

It depends. Is everyone else you'd eat with vaccinated and boosted? If so, you're probably fine.

If not, are you comfortable possibly giving them Covid?

Being boosted, you probably won't catch it with symptoms, but you might be able to transmit it.

Yeah, just spoke to my physician who's opinion is, since I'm vaccinated and boostered, life proceeds as "normal.
I did call the host of the feast and he/she is checking if anyone attending has a problem.
If so, I will pass and eat canned cranberry at home. Damn.

Yeah, just spoke to my physician who's opinion is, since I'm vaccinated and boostered, life proceeds as "normal.
I did call the host of the feast and he/she is checking if anyone attending has a problem.
If so, I will pass and eat canned cranberry at home. Damn.

Call the host and order a take home plate!!

Sucks. We were just having a similar conversation because one of our neighbors had the same thing happen - hung out with a buddy for dinner that tested positive after. It’s a weird time because with vaccines, boosters, kids, and school rules there are a ton of variables and outcomes.

Even if you rule out unvaccinated-by-choice folks since that’s their own risk choice, you’ve got at-risk vaccinated older folks, boosted folks not worried about significant health impacts but simply testing positive and having to quarantine themselves and potentially a whole family, kids that are one shot in but could miss weeks of school just for an exposure, people with critical work travel or big holiday plans, etc. Like, it’s nice that we’re not likely to die anymore but it’s still a huge pain in the ass. And it might stay that way for years since the moron segment of our country thinks freedom means keeping that “maybe we’ll die” aspect of Covid well supported.

Two Couples, including hosts, fine.
One Couple Not. (No surprise)
Home for the Holiday.
Damn.

Happened to friend of mine. The wife’s uncle was supposed to host and tested positive. Now they’re scrambling to do it at a different house. Sucks that we are going through this again.

Two Couples, including hosts, fine.
One Couple Not. (No surprise)
Home for the Holiday.
Damn.

Sorry to hear that. You could go to CVS and get a BinaxNow test and test right before heading over. If negative, you are less likely to be infectious (though no test is perfect).

Thanks for all your good thoughts. Part of me says, c’mon, if you went to a restaurant or any public place you were equally prone to get infected as I was last night. This is the world we now live in and Covid is not going away anytime soon. Live on.

But one of the attendees was not comfortable and those wishes should hold. With all the issues in the world, missing a Thanksgiving feast is at the bottom of the list. Especially in a year we have so much to be thankful for.

Being the great neighbors they are, we are expecting two extraordinary delivered plates. Especially if they want the ham we bought….lol.

Happy Thanksgiving All!!

if you went to a restaurant or any public place you were equally prone to get infected as I was last night.

I mean, that's not really true. You were with a symptomatic known active Covid case in close proximity for an extended period of time, with compounded risk due to how likely it was to be with a vaccine-resistant strain.

That is not common, and 95% or more of the time folks are in a public place - particularly a restaurant with decent spacing or indoor public area with even moderately good ventilation - they will not be in extended close contact with a positive symptomatic Covid carrier...

Thanks for all your good thoughts. Part of me says, c’mon, if you went to a restaurant or any public place you were equally prone to get infected as I was last night. This is the world we now live in and Covid is not going away anytime soon. Live on.

Exactly why I don’t spend much time eating in restaurants.

But, you’d be spending way more time and closer to the people at Thanksgiving.

I did see some numbers recently (not sure how accurate they were) that seemed to indicate how uncommon or unlikely breakthrough cases were, which suggested at least that we should just move on with our lives already.

But one of the attendees was not comfortable and those wishes should hold. With all the issues in the world, missing a Thanksgiving feast is at the bottom of the list. Especially in a year we have so much to be thankful for.

Being the great neighbors they are, we are expecting two extraordinary delivered plates. Especially if they want the ham we bought….lol.

Happy Thanksgiving All!!

I'm in Aiken with my wife's family. Let me know if you need me to drop a plate off for you! I would be happy to do it.

Perfectly sane reasoning here.

I'm in Aiken with my wife's family. Let me know if you need me to drop a plate off for you! I would be happy to do it.

Ha; thanks buddy. I forgot your in laws were in Aiken. One of these days we should get together for a drink or a round of golf. Be glad to host you at the Reserve,

Ha; thanks buddy. I forgot your in laws were in Aiken. One of these days we should get together for a drink or a round of golf. Be glad to host you at the Reserve,

I may need that drink depending on how the game goes on Saturday. I'm in a house full of Clemson fans. haha

Back