• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Personally, I am ok with dropping the mandates for vaccines if the anti-viral drug gets full approval, as long as it's covered by insurance or reasonably inexpensive.

We also need a pretty big expansion and subsidizing of rapid tests for those anti-viral drugs to be effective from a community spread standpoint. They don’t work unless you take them very early after developing symptoms and testing positive.

We also need a pretty big expansion and subsidizing of rapid tests for those anti-viral drugs to be effective from a community spread standpoint. They don’t work unless you take them very early after developing symptoms and testing positive.

Your amendment is accepted.

Seems problematic for an illness that most people never even know they have.

What if we just socialized the medical industry?

Antivirals for respiratory infections are pretty suspect. The Merck pill when fully analyzed dropped to like 30% effective, I wouldn’t be all that surprised if the Pfizer pill also trends downward. This is also in the most controlled of trial where doses were given at the correct timing. You are talking within 3 days of symptoms, so wake up headache, feel stuffy the next day and you have just eliminated 48 hours, you need a test and the drugs within 24 hours, not real feasible with our current testing setup and lack of rapid test.

Additionally, that would be for people that would even get tested, believe covid is real, etc… if you aren’t getting vaccinated you probably are going to miss a 3 day window. Then comes the pill requirements, 30 pills in 5 days, and if you feel like you’re an AIDS patient it’s because you kinda are, Pfizer’s new pill works with an old HIV protease inhibitor. That one at least has better safety since they are proteases. I actually wouldn’t touch Merck’s pill because remember all the conspiracy that the vaccine could change your RNA and DNA, well this pill actually does have the unlikely but possible chance to do just that, meaning the mechanism and pathway does exist unlike the vaccines.

Overall, the anti virals are better than nothing, doesn’t hurt to have more treatments available, probably has some effect even if administered upon hospitalization, but this isn’t going to be pick up a zpak to knock out an ear infection.

I didn’t realize that was Junebug, who is an attorney. He is arguing a position, not being reasonable.

To him it makes more sense for the patient to go through the health care system and be treated for COVID than to take a vaccination (free to the patient) to minimize the severity of the illness and transmission.

There you have it

Bingo. Starts from the position most politically advantageous to his party and works his way backwards. Posters like this have no personal beliefs, they are just empty vessels filled with what plays best at that moment.

I don't think a pill should be mandated either.

no, you argue against a mandate that requires VAX/frequent testing on the grounds it is too invasive for the patient, arguing for the patient to contract COVID (which they most certainly will) and choose if their little heart desires to go take some pills instead, or if they still can't accept being invaded by the antiviral pills they can take up a bed in the ICU that could have been used for a patient who suffered an aneurism or something.

all of this for, I guess, freedom from adding another vaccination to the 25 they have had already.

your argument that the antiviral is "just as good" as the vax is bullshit lawyer logic

Junebug, are you against all vaccine mandates or just COVID mandates?

Junebug, are you against all vaccine mandates or just COVID mandates?

He is for Measles etc because they are one time and 90%+ efficacy and COVID is not as effective and doesn't last a lifetime. He is using the abortion invasion of body argument or something as a buttress about forcing shots or some Jackie Chiles thing

Last edited:
I have missed a lot of this conversation today...

There are a number of sides to this story. Bored doesn't think that any mandates should be required, albeit we have had them for decades for other reasons. Essentially it is the unvaccinated that are the problem, not specifically because they are not getting the vaccine but because of the unnecessary overwhelming of hospitals when C-19 has high transmission rates. I don't think you can turn away people and "treat only vaccinated people", that goes against the Hippocratic Oath (IMO). you just can't turn away someone in need...i do understand if there are no beds the need of triage, etc..

To be honest, what I would do and shocked that insurance companies have not done (fully, to my knowledge) is to refuse payment to pay for unvaccinated people if they are hospitalized due to C-19. not taking the vaccine is not a financial reason, it is free just about anywhere. The amount of good to have had the vaccine before contracting C-19 is astounding! the speed of recovery, the lessening of lingering effects, and the lessening of being bed-ridden in the hospital with various amounts of supportive care. this should be the responsibility of the patient to pay.

I have read that it is moving in this direction (not sure if it has started) and it is the correct action.

I don’t disagree with some sort of significant financial burden related to the cost of any healthcare required/received being imposed upon almost all non-vaccinated folks at this point.

My advice regarding the notion of preferentially depending on currently available (and anything likely to be available soon) therapeutics and foregoing vaccination is…that’s not, by a good ways, best strategy.

Get the vaccine.

It’s fair and appropriate to require vaccination as a condition of employment, etc. people can choose not to work in healthcare, for the federal government, for large employers, etc. But really, everyone able should get vaccinated.

Yes, it would be ideal if everyone could just understand the wisdom of getting vaccinated, but we don’t live in an ideal world and the mandates generally significantly improve compliance with vaccination recommendations.

I doubt hospitals would be very excited about insurers denying coverage for the non-vaccinated.

I doubt hospitals would be very excited about insurers denying coverage for the non-vaccinated.

Yep.

Potentially more workable to significantly raise copayments and whatnot rather than categorically deny. And communicate this clearly to all parties. It’d be a mess to sort out and deal with appeals, etc. But it’s already pretty messy and the hope would be that a lot of folks unable to appreciate the wisdom of getting vaccinated to protect their (and others) health will act to save money…?!

Last edited:
This feels like it fits.

QyPH05J.png

Yep.

Potentially more workable to significantly raise copayments and whatnot rather than categorically deny. And communicate this clearly to all parties. It’d be a mess to sort out and deal with appeals, etc. But it’s already pretty messy and the hope would be that a lot of folks unable to appreciate the wisdom of getting vaccinated to protect their (and others) health will act to save money…?!

I understand some companies are starting to charge the unvaxxed extra for their medical benefits - that makes sense to me.

Back