• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Which Tunnels scholars and super smart scientists argued for closing schools after the first few months of this novel disease, ie before we knew how the disease spread?

PhDeac posted a paper in May 2021 which finds "robust evidence that reopening Texas schools gradually but substantially accelerated the community spread of COVID-19. Results from our preferred specification imply that school reopenings led to at least 43,000 additional COVID-19 cases and 800 additional fatalities within the first two months"

[h=1]School Reopenings, Mobility, and COVID-19 Spread: Evidence from Texas[/h]
This paper examines the effect of fall 2020 school reopenings in Texas on county-level COVID-19 cases and fatalities. Previous evidence suggests that schools can be reopened safely if community spread is low and public health guidelines are followed. However, in Texas, reopenings often occurred alongside high community spread and at near capacity, making it difficult to meet social distancing recommendations. Using event-study models and hand-collected instruction modality and start dates for all school districts, we find robust evidence that reopening Texas schools gradually but substantially accelerated the community spread of COVID-19. Results from our preferred specification imply that school reopenings led to at least 43,000 additional COVID-19 cases and 800 additional fatalities within the first two months. We then use SafeGraph mobility data to provide evidence that spillovers to adults’ behaviors contributed to these large effects. Median time spent outside the home on a typical weekday increased substantially in neighborhoods with large numbers of school-age children, suggesting a return to in-person work or increased outside-of-home leisure activities among parents.

https://www.nber.org/papers/w28753

PhDeac posted a paper in May 2021 which finds "robust evidence that reopening Texas schools gradually but substantially accelerated the community spread of COVID-19. Results from our preferred specification imply that school reopenings led to at least 43,000 additional COVID-19 cases and 800 additional fatalities within the first two months"

The more you post the less you support your own position.

when I point one gotcha finger at you I point three right back at myself ! GOTCHA !!

This guy better never get invited to speak at Wake

Took organic Chemistry with him. Smart guy. A shame he's become a power hungry chump

There has to be a word to describe someone who knows better, but actively encourages people to behave in a harmful way.

Florida is a shitshow.

I got a pop up ad with our old friend Surgeon Joe hawking those monoclonal antibody treatments. I’d really like to see who is making money off those clinics in Florida.

A question for the doctors - would you attend next week's Duke game if you were fully vaccinated (including booster) and wore an N95 mask, or is it too much of a risk?

A question for the doctors - would you attend next week's Duke game if you were fully vaccinated (including booster) and wore an N95 mask, or is it too much of a risk?

Not a doctor, but I think it’s a pretty low risk activity if you wear an N95.

Million cases a day yet CNN doesn't feel the need to stick with the COVID tracker they had up every day of the Trump administration. MAKES YOU WONDER

I would and I plan to.

Yes. I would. With a good mask like that and fully vaccinated - have a blast.

According to the article when he first showed symptoms of covid after attending the conspiracy conference he was advised to take a covid test, but refused, saying "No way" and he insisted it was bronchitis. After five days with a fever he finally admitted that he "might" have covid, and he was then found unconscious in his home on Christmas Eve and taken to a hospital and put on a ventilator.

Back