• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

I'm curious to hear the thoughts of the Tunnels big brains on the Chicago Teachers Union strike.

How many days in a row have classes now been cancelled for Chicago public schools?

Anyone else notice that there hasn’t been a Covid diagnosis anywhere near the Georgia or Alabama Football Program’s?
They likely haven’t been near a test for the last 3 weeks.
No way those SEC Boys going to be grounded by any virus.

I'm curious to hear the thoughts of the Tunnels big brains on the Chicago Teachers Union strike.

How many days in a row have classes now been cancelled for Chicago public schools?

Check the Political Chat Thread, but us teachers are pretty fed up right now. It really sucks to teach in overcrowded and unsafe classrooms with little to no support, and most of us can find better paying jobs pretty easily these days.

I’m probably done this Spring or Summer and many of my colleagues are headed with me. I’ll make sure to direct the roving bands of youths who no longer have a school to attend towards your neighborhood next fall. Feel free to PM me your address. You can teach them about personal responsibility and bootstraps.

Last edited:
Check the Political Chat Thread, but us teachers are pretty fed up right now. It really sucks to teach in overcrowded and unsafe classrooms with little to no support, and most of us can find better paying jobs pretty easily these days.

I’m probably done this Spring or Summer and many of my colleagues are headed with me. I’ll make sure to direct the roving bands of youths who no longer have a school to attend towards your neighborhood next fall. Feel free to PM me your address. You can teach them about personal responsibility and bootstraps.

We just gonna get all right wing teachers to take your jobs to make sure CRT isn't being taught?

We just gonna get all right wing teachers to take your jobs to make sure CRT isn't being taught?

There’s nothing stopping right wingers from teaching now, there has a been a nationwide shortage of teachers for a decade. From my experience the only conservatives (with bachelors degrees) who will take teaching jobs are athletics coaches and wives with husbands who can financially support them.

PhDeac posted a paper in May 2021 which finds "robust evidence that reopening Texas schools gradually but substantially accelerated the community spread of COVID-19. Results from our preferred specification imply that school reopenings led to at least 43,000 additional COVID-19 cases and 800 additional fatalities within the first two months"

Yeah but still.

There’s nothing stopping right wingers from teaching now, there has a been a nationwide shortage of teachers for a decade. From my experience the only conservatives (with bachelors degrees) who will take teaching jobs are athletics coaches and wives with husbands who can financially support them.

Hey I’m not a conservative!

Most anti-CRT types wouldn’t last five mins in my school.

They’re not going to be part of they solution, all they do is complain.

Last edited:
Hey I’m not a conservative!

Of course not all coaches are conservative! But i’m pretty confident that high school sports coaches, particularly from the big 3: football, basketball, baseball, are generally more conservative than avg school teachers.

Is there anything worse than a whiny Teacher? I am so sick of hearing how bad teachers have it. Tough job? Absolutely. Underpaid? Good ones definitely are. Lack of support from parents? No doubt.
But this is the occupation you chose; in most cases dreamed of doing. Fact is the work is as steady as it gets. Security? Please, tenure rules. Benefits, few better. Time off? Oh yeah.
Fact is I know hundreds of people that would change with their whiny asses in a minute.
For the record; my degree was in education, taught junior high and coached 3 sports for 3 years. Made more money out of school than anyone I graduated with. When they couldn't guarantee a spot because they decided to keep old do nothing teachers who stood around and picked their ass rather than those who really taught and got involved with kids, I told them to F off and left. Union wouldn't support me (surprise) got a job with McGraw Hill and the rest is history.
Brasky, you talk about tearing down the political system. Maybe you should start out on a System as broken as it gets; education.

Is there anything worse than a whiny Teacher? I am so sick of hearing how bad teachers have it. Tough job? Absolutely. Underpaid? Good ones definitely are. Lack of support from parents? No doubt.
But this is the occupation you chose; in most cases dreamed of doing. Fact is the work is as steady as it gets. Security? Please, tenure rules. Benefits, few better. Time off? Oh yeah.
Fact is I know hundreds of people that would change with their whiny asses in a minute.
For the record; my degree was in education, taught junior high and coached 3 sports for 3 years. Made more money out of school than anyone I graduated with. When they couldn't guarantee a spot because they decided to keep old do nothing teachers who stood around and picked their ass rather than those who really taught and got involved with kids, I told them to F off and left. Union wouldn't support me (surprise) got a job with McGraw Hill and the rest is history.
Brasky, you talk about tearing down the political system. Maybe you should start out on a System as broken as it gets; education.

Actually in NC the state legislature removed tenure for all teachers hired from around 2013 on, and they also removed extra pay for having a master's degree, even in the teacher's chosen subject field. The state legislature has also gradually reduced some other benefits as well, especially for new hires. And we also have a Lt. Governor who has created a panel for angry parents to contact and report teachers who are teaching something they don't like or agree with. There is a reason why there is a growing shortage of teachers nationwide, and why fewer people are entering the profession. I believe somebody posted on here that there are hundreds of unfilled openings in Forsyth County, NC alone this year.

Last edited:

I mean it sounds like you were being a whiny teacher like you accuse him of being. You went to (whined to?) the union and got nothing, so got out. Precisely what brasky is doing.

Pops, you know I love you so I’m gonna choose my words carefully, but it’s possible that conditions have changed significantly in the decades since you did your 3 years and those that are currently working in the system know more about it and are more entitled to be upset than someone that did it for a short time in a different generation. Also, the teachers in this thread don’t have the benefit of a union, which is probably why the benefits that you think are amazing are actually significantly worse than those that would be expected for a comparable job in the private sector.

I mean it sounds like you were being a whiny teacher like you accuse him of being. You went to (whined to?) the union and got nothing, so got out. Precisely what brasky is doing.

No, Brasky's compiaining how bad he has it. That's whining.
I loved every minute of my teaching job with all its ills. But I was tossed aside to keep an archaic system of retaining bad, do nothing teachers in place.
Difference.

No, Brasky's compiaining how bad he has it. That's whining.
I loved every minute of my teaching job with all its ills. But I was tossed aside to keep an archaic system of retaining bad, do nothing teachers in place.
Difference.

Well current pay steps end after 20 years on the current pay scale which disincentives experienced teachers from continuing in the field in order to prioritize hiring new grads who can be treated like fresh young Motown singers by Berry Gordy and I can speak firsthand about the absolutely devastating impact this has had on the efficacy of education.

Pops, you know I love you so I’m gonna choose my words carefully, but it’s possible that conditions have changed significantly in the decades since you did your 3 years and those that are currently working in the system know more about it and are more entitled to be upset than someone that did it for a short time in a different generation. Also, the teachers in this thread don’t have the benefit of a union, which is probably why the benefits that you think are amazing are actually significantly worse than those that would be expected for a comparable job in the private sector.

Thanks pal, most appreciated and an excellent point. And you know its not personal and only based on my experience. Teachers have an incredibly difficult and challenging job and parents are, well parents.
But I didn't leave education totally and until I retired 4 years ago served on the BOE for both our K-8 school and the High School we sent our students including Chair of the Finance Committee.
But I didnt realize there is no union protection in NC or SC. That does make a big difference.

Amid all this talk about the problems faced by teachers, many of which are quite real, someone needs to point out the obvious: teaching is a calling, you either have it or you don't.

Back