• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Well current pay steps end after 20 years on the current pay scale which disincentives experienced teachers from continuing in the field in order to prioritize hiring new grads who can be treated like fresh young Motown singers by Berry Gordy and I can speak firsthand about the absolutely devastating impact this has had on the efficacy of education.

Didn't realize that either. That sucks and makes no sense.

Last edited:
Daughters daycare class is closed for 2 weeks. Again. Fuck me. This is the third goddamn time it’s closed in 3 months.

Is there anything worse than a whiny Teacher? I am so sick of hearing how bad teachers have it. Tough job? Absolutely. Underpaid? Good ones definitely are. Lack of support from parents? No doubt.
But this is the occupation you chose; in most cases dreamed of doing. Fact is the work is as steady as it gets. Security? Please, tenure rules. Benefits, few better. Time off? Oh yeah.
Fact is I know hundreds of people that would change with their whiny asses in a minute.
For the record; my degree was in education, taught junior high and coached 3 sports for 3 years. Made more money out of school than anyone I graduated with. When they couldn't guarantee a spot because they decided to keep old do nothing teachers who stood around and picked their ass rather than those who really taught and got involved with kids, I told them to F off and left. Union wouldn't support me (surprise) got a job with McGraw Hill and the rest is history.
Brasky, you talk about tearing down the political system. Maybe you should start out on a System as broken as it gets; education.

Had two initial job interviews this afternoon, both went well and I’m going in for in-person interviews next week after school. Both will pay significantly more and match benefits.

Very different jobs, but both were impressed that I made it this long as a teacher. Nothing final, but it’s looking promising. Have another interview later this week, didn’t realize how quickly this would all happen.

So no worries Pops I’m getting out before JHMD and your kind liquidate my pension and turn it into corporate tax breaks. I’ll be encouraging everyone other decent teacher I know to look elsewhere as well, this society doesn’t deserve us. We can only eat so much shit.

Wishing you only the best BB. I hope you find what you are looking for and it makes you happy.
You have obviously paid your dues.

Amid all this talk about the problems faced by teachers, many of which are quite real, someone needs to point out the obvious: teaching is a calling, you either have it or you don't.

"Teachers are in it for the outcome, not the income."

Translation:. We don't want to pay you shit, so we're trying to emotionally manipulate you to accept shit.

Amid all this talk about the problems faced by teachers, many of which are quite real, someone needs to point out the obvious: teaching is a calling, you either have it or you don't.

"Teachers are in it for the outcome, not the income."

Translation:. We don't want to pay you shit, so we're trying to emotionally manipulate you to accept shit.

Yes. And in addition to how it's used to dismiss complaints about exploitation, the platitude is also deployed to suggest that teachers like brasky who leave the field entirely did so because they simply "didn't have the calling". Because if they did they'd stick it out no matter what

Not sure how sailor intended it here because as far as I know he is or was himself a teacher. But sometimes it's the teachers themselves who have weaponized this belief against their colleagues

Yes. And in addition to how it's used to dismiss complaints about exploitation, the platitude is also deployed to suggest that teachers like brasky who leave the field entirely did so because they simply "didn't have the calling". Because if they did they'd stick it out no matter what

Not sure how sailor intended it here because as far as I know he is or was himself a teacher. But sometimes it's the teachers themselves who have weaponized this belief against their colleagues

Idk, I figure by the time I retire that I'll have taught 5k students at least and statistically at least one of them has to become a billionaire and will buy me a house out of their gratitude for the impact I made in their life, right?

Idk, I figure by the time I retire that I'll have taught 5k students at least and statistically at least one of them has to become a billionaire and will buy me a house out of their gratitude for the impact I made in their life, right?

No doubt.

There’s this perverse understanding in our society that you have to choose between an “emotionally fulfilling” career or financial security. Friends that I know from banking and law talk to me about teaching like I took a vow of poverty, it’s fucking stupid.

Had two initial job interviews this afternoon, both went well and I’m going in for in-person interviews next week after school. Both will pay significantly more and match benefits.

Very different jobs, but both were impressed that I made it this long as a teacher. Nothing final, but it’s looking promising. Have another interview later this week, didn’t realize how quickly this would all happen.

So no worries Pops I’m getting out before JHMD and your kind liquidate my pension and turn it into corporate tax breaks. I’ll be encouraging everyone other decent teacher I know to look elsewhere as well, this society doesn’t deserve us. We can only eat so much shit.

Sorry to hear…best wishes for the transition.

If you had listened to BKF (RIP) all those years ago, you wouldn't be in this spot right now.

Jokes on you, the grill accessories business is booming and someone’s getting back in the game.

I was simply stating an obvious and important aspect of teaching as a career, which was being left out of this discussion. It was not for or against anybody.

When choosing a career, you can either pick something that you are really interested in because you are going to have to devote so much time to it, or you can select something that will cover your bills but then devote your free time to what you really like. Obviously, I chose the former rather than the latter and have never looked back. It was the right choice for me. However, I think the second choice is fine too. It really does not make all that much difference what you do, as long as you conscientiously strive to do it well. The best outcome is when you can do what you enjoy and be well paid for it too. But clearly, that does not always happen. Perhaps it happens far too rarely.

Back