• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

“We’ve got to redefine what the purpose of K-12 education is. Some would say it’s to produce critical thinkers. But my team and I believe that the purpose of a public K-12 education is to prepare students for post-secondary plans of their choice so that they can be a functioning member of the workforce.”

– STATE SUPERINTENDENT CATHERINE TRUITT, JANUARY 6TH, 2022

I don't know, she's kinda right. I have taught (about to put in my notice) a lot of underprivileged kids that could benefit from far more exposure to vocational and trades training. Critical thinking should still be taught, that's was my number one goal as a history teacher, but we are doing a poor job of preparing a lot of kids for post secondary life. As my former testing coordinator put it during my first year at this school, "there's a reason we only highlight the percentage of students who enroll in post-secondary education not graduate, because 75-80% of our alumni are out of school and back home in 18 months"

I don't know, she's kinda right. I have taught (about to put in my notice) a lot of underprivileged kids that could benefit from far more exposure to vocational and trades training. Critical thinking should still be taught, that's was my number one goal as a history teacher, but we are doing a poor job of preparing a lot of kids for post secondary life. As my former testing coordinator put it during my first year at this school, "there's a reason we only highlight the percentage of students who enroll in post-secondary education not graduate, because 75-80% of our alumni are out of school and back home in 18 months"

The idea that critical thinking and vocational skills are mutually exclusive is elitist as hell. It's also completely inaccurate. The big push in technical fields is hiring workers with "soft skills" or employability skills that include critical thinking.

The idea that critical thinking and vocational skills are mutually exclusive is elitist as hell. It's also completely inaccurate. The big push in technical fields is hiring workers with "soft skills" or employability skills that include critical thinking.

yeah, maybe some of that "recidivism" is lack of 'critical thinking' skill, no?

Conservativism in a nutshell

Being this wrong this often is progressivism in a nutshell. I get the point of this space for you guys, and it's not about thinking things through. You need your priors confirmed and to polish each other's armor of false virtue, but watching you all completely miss the point of conservatism on a daily basis is stunning, no matter how many times I've seen it.

As a conservative, I want other people to do well. I want that because it helps them, society as a whole and if was acting only out of self interest, it actually serves me and my interests better than any other outcome. I want to reduce government dependency because I want people to succeed. Nothing about other people struggling advances a goal of mine in any way, shape or form. The opposite, actually. I view government dependency as a bad thing, unworthy of my own choices, I won't force it on others. I don't want it for me, and I shouldn't want it for them either.

Sure but how about the kids that are being pushed through the system who will graduate lucky to read at a ninth grade level with no idea how to operate in professional world. At least where I am working it is a lot more kids than we admit. There's needs to be a lot more CTE/vocational programs in public schools, particularly in underprivileged areas. Way too many of our kids are graduating to work menial service jobs or end up on the streets.

Honestly it is one of the many reasons I'm leaving education, its hard to be inspired anymore when the system is so fucking broken. Its not worth the low wages and stress if what we're doing isn't working. My current school has become the poster child for a failed school, we don't punish kids nor follow up on attendance, all so we can fudge our statistics and look like we're improving.

Being this wrong this often is progressivism in a nutshell. I get the point of this space for you guys, and it's not about thinking things through. You need your priors confirmed and to polish each other's armor of false virtue, but watching you all completely miss the point of conservatism on a daily basis is stunning, no matter how many times I've seen it.

As a conservative, I want other people to do well. I want that because it helps them, society as a whole and if was acting only out of self interest, it actually serves me and my interests better than any other outcome. I want to reduce government dependency because I want people to succeed. Nothing about other people struggling advances a goal of mine in any way, shape or form. The opposite, actually. I view government dependency as a bad thing, unworthy of my own choices, I won't force it on others. I don't want it for me, and I shouldn't want it for them either.

i'd love to see the work on wanting people to succeed

Sure but how about the kids that are being pushed through the system who will graduate lucky to read at a ninth grade level with no idea how to operate in professional world. At least where I am working it is a lot more kids than we admit. There's needs to be a lot more CTE/vocational programs in public schools, particularly in underprivileged areas. Way too many of our kids are graduating to work menial service jobs or end up on the streets.

It’s about incorporating employability skills into CTE programs.

“We’ve got to redefine what the purpose of K-12 education is. Some would say it’s to produce critical thinkers. But my team and I believe that the purpose of a public K-12 education is to prepare students for post-secondary plans of their choice so that they can be a functioning member of the workforce.”

– STATE SUPERINTENDENT CATHERINE TRUITT, JANUARY 6TH, 2022

Reminscent of when the TX Board of Education about a decade ago declared that they were opposed to teaching critical/higher level thinking skills in schools because it might, god forbid, lead students to question their parent's beliefs. They were ridiculed on the net and eventually backed off, but that pretty much sums up the reasoning behind a lot of what's happening in public schools in many red states right now.

'Merica! If you ain't first you may as well be second to last. That's how it works right?

How does it feel to be the second dumbest country in the world? Thanks republicans. I guess when they said they'd rather be Russian than a democRAT they really weren't kidding.

Last edited:
Back