• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

The hospitalization rates in NY have dropped 25% in the past week and 50% in the past month. Importantly, they are also 34% down compared to 1 year ago, as we head into spring.

Agree completely the drop in hospitalization rates compared to the last week and month is very promising.

However the current # of COVID hospitalizations of 4,670 is still higher (and in some cases more than 200% higher) than the daily hospitalizations in the Fall of 2021. As an example, less than 2k were hospitalized in NY for COVID on 11/1/21.

So I will ask the question (which apparently zero Tunnels posters are interested to answer) once again - If just under 5k hospitalizations is the target number to relax restrictions and spike the mandates, why wasn't this done in the Fall of 2021 when the hospitalization numbers were substantially lower?

Agree completely the drop in hospitalization rates compared to the last week and month is very promising.

However the current # of COVID hospitalizations of 4,670 is still higher (and in some cases more than 200% higher) than the daily hospitalizations in the Fall of 2021. As an example, less than 2k were hospitalized in NY for COVID on 11/1/21.

So I will ask the question (which apparently zero Tunnels posters are interested to answer) once again - If just under 5k hospitalizations is the target number to relax restrictions and spike the mandates, why wasn't this done in the Fall of 2021 when the hospitalization numbers were substantially lower?

As I said in my first post, cases and hospitalizations are falling dramatically and omicron is the dominant variant. This was not the case in the fall.

We didn't have the vaccine for kids under age 12 until late last fall. Much of the mandates were trying to buy us time to make sure that group got vaccinated.

Once that happened we got hit by Omicron, which spread so rapidly that dropping the mandates you are shrieking about would have been a foolhardy decision.

We now know that Omicron isn't as deadly as delta, it is now dominant, and the u12 group is largely vaccinated. And even if the vaccine doesn't completely protect from infection, at this point it is impossible to argue that it dramatically reduces the risk of serious illness.

Now is finally the appropriate time to drop mandates.

It’s like watching a beat up boxer keep staggering to his feet and you’re like just stay down, he’s gonna kill you but he gets back up and gets walloped worse than before.

the u12 group is largely vaccinated.

kanye-west-smh.gif

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-cov...-19-vaccination-of-5-11-year-olds-in-the-u-s/

Brad: No one on the Tunnels left can explain X
Multiple posters: Here's an explanation for X
Brad: As I said, no one on the Tunnels left can explain X

There’s probably a specific answer he’s looking for, most likely that there should never have been mandates and not that society has decided trying to protect white conservatives who are killings themselves isn’t worth the harassment from them or your own minor personal inconveniences.

That is actually not the question you asked:

Will any of the medical professionals on the Tunnels explain what changed with The Science TM over the past month or so for the governors in states like NY, NJ, and CT to drop mask mandates?

Your original gotcha question, specifically referenced "over the past month or so..." and now you are drawing comparisons to October and November of 2021. That is a pretty big delta in your time frame.

We've reached the point where everyone that wants to be vaccinated is vaccinated. At that point, barring a deadly variant there shouldn't be mandates.

maybe we need to stretch it so that those who "don't want" to be vaccinated need to be, but thanks to our good friends at the SCOTUS, that ain't happening.

There’s probably a specific answer he’s looking for, most likely that there should never have been mandates and not that society has decided trying to protect white conservatives who are killings themselves isn’t worth the harassment from them or your own minor personal inconveniences.

He is disingenuously trying to gin up support for the stupid ass take that the mandates are only being dropped because of considerations for the midterm elections.

We've reached the point where everyone that wants to be vaccinated is vaccinated. At that point, barring a deadly variant there shouldn't be mandates.

i was under the assumption that vaccine mandates were specifically because not everyone "wants" to be vaccinated

maybe we need to stretch it so that those who "don't want" to be vaccinated need to be, but thanks to our good friends at the SCOTUS, that ain't happening.

That toothpaste ain't going back in the tube.

I fully support the dropping of all restrictions except asking students to mask up at schools. Ride that out for the rest of the semester.

That toothpaste ain't going back in the tube.

I fully support the dropping of all restrictions except asking students to mask up at schools. Ride that out for the rest of the semester.

Why ? There's little evidence of community spread in schools.

Here's a good study from Sweden that contradicts those good studies. https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2026670

That's not a study of COVID transmission in schools. That's a study of the rate of severe COVID in children in Sweden. A study of transmission in schools looks at contacts, attack rates, etc. amongst students, teachers, and staff. The study you linked does not do that.

Back