• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

It was pretty funny last night to watch the Mecklenburg County Commissioners (all Demos, of course), now rail against the mask mandates that they themselves enacted, saying they need to be lifted ASAP, because the #science has changed regarding cloth masks.

The #science has not changed. Cloth masks are, and have always been, useless. Those are the facts, and have been understood by anyone with a brain for years. Anyone who now, or at any point in time, has thought otherwise is nothing short of a fucking idiot. Unless a city/county/state-wide mask mandate has been for an N95 mask, which none have been, mask mandates have been nothing more than feel-good optics. As I have said on here for years, they are the placebo effect at its finest relative to N95 masks.

The problem with this con job that the WFHElite quickly fell for is that it undermined the credibility of the actual preventative measures. Because the cloth mask mandates were so blatantly useless, it created the corresponding sense of doubt about the vaccines in many people who realized the fallacy. When there are two main prongs of attack, and one of them is so obviously false, it is tough for most people to trust the other. Not to mention the selective enforcement (clearly you can't catch Covid with 100,000 other maskless people at the Super Bowl, but goddamn it cover your nose with a cloth mask with the 20 other kids in your classroom who are at virtually no risk for anything).

But it is good to see the Commissioners finally, 2+ years later, accepting the #science. They will be conned again soon, of course, because stupid is as stupid does.
But at least for now they have finally caught up to reality.

People continually break down your hot takes to you at levels a child could understand and then you leave for a bit and then return with the same takes. Trolling I guess? Is that still fun? It just comes off as insecure.

It was pretty funny last night to watch the Mecklenburg County Commissioners (all Demos, of course), now rail against the mask mandates that they themselves enacted, saying they need to be lifted ASAP, because the #science has changed regarding cloth masks.

The #science has not changed. Cloth masks are, and have always been, useless. Those are the facts, and have been understood by anyone with a brain for years. Anyone who now, or at any point in time, has thought otherwise is nothing short of a fucking idiot. Unless a city/county/state-wide mask mandate has been for an N95 mask, which none have been, mask mandates have been nothing more than feel-good optics. As I have said on here for years, they are the placebo effect at its finest relative to N95 masks.

The problem with this con job that the WFHElite quickly fell for is that it undermined the credibility of the actual preventative measures. Because the cloth mask mandates were so blatantly useless, it created the corresponding sense of doubt about the vaccines in many people who realized the fallacy. When there are two main prongs of attack, and one of them is so obviously false, it is tough for most people to trust the other. Not to mention the selective enforcement (clearly you can't catch Covid with 100,000 other maskless people at the Super Bowl, but goddamn it cover your nose with a cloth mask with the 20 other kids in your classroom who are at virtually no risk for anything).

But it is good to see the Commissioners finally, 2+ years later, accepting the #science. They will be conned again soon, of course, because stupid is as stupid does.
But at least for now they have finally caught up to reality.

Remember the other day when you confused viral particles and gas? I still get a kick out of that one.

There are many cloth masks, and they work to filter out different levels of viral particles. Here is a good study that systematically studied a bunch of different types of masks (trigger warning - the study is from Duke and UNC) https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/2774266 But even more important is how a mask is worn - you can wear 3 N95s on top of each other, but if you pull the mask down to talk, then it's ineffective.

People continually break down your hot takes to you at levels a child could understand and then you leave for a bit and then return with the same takes. Trolling I guess? Is that still fun? It just comes off as insecure.

So you believe that cloth masks are effective? Cool.

It depends on how you define effective and what you are trying to achieve with a mask mandate.

If it is part of a mandate, effective should be defined as material and necessary. Mandating something that clearly does not work above a de minimus level seems like either stupidity or a simple abuse of power. But maybe that is just me.

Shit is over here in Meck Co. No more masks. CMS meets Tuesday. I'm going to make my daughter watch it so she can see just how fucking stupid the people are who run the school system and she and her friends will know whom to go after if it doesn't get repealed for some reason.

If it is part of a mandate, effective should be defined as material and necessary. Mandating something that clearly does not work above a de minimus level seems like either stupidity or a simple abuse of power. But maybe that is just me.

If masking with cloth masks keeps 10 patients out of a hospital that is already 150% ICU capacity, is that effective? What if it keeps more kids in schools more of the time? The definition of effectiveness is entirely dependent on your goal.

Shit is over here in Meck Co. No more masks. CMS meets Tuesday. I'm going to make my daughter watch it so she can see just how fucking stupid the people are who run the school system and she and her friends will know whom to go after if it doesn't get repealed for some reason.

over until the next wave hits maybe

If COVID is over in Meck Co, why don't you give the school board credit for their policies? COVID isn't over in other places.

School board hasn't repealed yet. They're bound to fuck it up in some way.

cry-baby-sad.gif

I just can’t relate to being so concerned about having to occasionally wear a mask.

Would love to see the Venn diagram between anti-maskers and Voter ID activists

Biff posted a pic of himself the other day, he should be glad to wear the mask with a mug like that

I just can’t relate to being so concerned about having to occasionally wear a mask.

I personally don't mind wearing a mask. But if you consciously ignore the negative effects that masking has had on tens of millions of kids in school, which have been repeatedly cited in this thread, then there is no hope for you.

Back