• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

I personally don't mind wearing a mask. But if you consciously ignore the negative effects that masking has had on tens of millions of kids in school, which have been repeatedly cited in this thread, then there is no hope for you.

no hope how? Hope for what? I have three kids in grades 1, 8, and 10. and they are completely unharmed by the masks. They continue to thrive, as do their friends. They are in sports, clubs, after school activities. They have never complained for a moment about the masks. None of our friends and neighbors. We don't even talk about masks.

The only negatively affected kids in our system are the ones who contracted covid, or their parents contracted it.

What negative effects are you talking about?

You know what has negative effects on 10s of millions of kids?

active shooter drills
poisonous water
poisonous air
no health insurance
poor nutrition

I don't hear you saying jack shit about those issues around here but you sure have a lot to say about masks.

I personally don't mind wearing a mask. But if you consciously ignore the negative effects that masking has had on tens of millions of kids in school, which have been repeatedly cited in this thread, then there is no hope for you.

The only negative affects that I've seen posted here relate to under fives, and really under 3, none of who are actually in public school systems except the very few in public preschools or the first few months of kindergarten. There has been no good reason offered for taking masks off grades 1-12, especially off of middle schoolers and high schools. If you have some sources that can cite legit harm that masks cause for middle schoolers and high schoolers, beyond elevated acne risk, please share.

active shooter drills
poisonous water
poisonous air
no health insurance
poor nutrition

I don't hear you saying jack shit about those issues around here but you sure have a lot to say about masks.

This.

"I'm glad that masks are optional finally. The state can stop being the parent now."

They could use that logic for school lunch as well. “Parents should feed their children, not the state.”

The only negative affects that I've seen posted here relate to under fives, and really under 3, none of who are actually in public school systems except the very few in public preschools or the first few months of kindergarten. There has been no good reason offered for taking masks off grades 1-12, especially off of middle schoolers and high schools. If you have some sources that can cite legit harm that masks cause for middle schoolers and high schoolers, beyond elevated acne risk, please share.

I have a good number of friends and relatives that teach in public and private high schools, and they have all consistently said that none of their students have seen it as a big deal and the only problems they've had with masking (if any) are from parents, not students. My own guess is that the current wave of school boards dropping masking mandates has to do with the growing number of defeats of school boards at local elections, such as the one this week in San Francisco, where the current school board was voted out by other Democrats who wanted a different approach to school covid requirements, among other things. Covid fatigue is real and I suspect that many school boards around the country are weighing continuing covid protocols with their chances of getting voted out of office at their next election. Usually self-preservation wins.

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Being honest I’ve tried going maskless in a few places recently but every time I’ve done it I always run into senior citizens or children who are masked and it makes me feel like an asshole that they need protection and I’m not helping.

For instance - i’m sitting in a greatclips right now where no one is wearing a mask besides me. An older sickly woman using a walker comes in with her teenage son/grandson, and they are both masked. In this situation, which lead should I follow? I’m double vaxxed and not particularly worried about getting sick, but I also want to respect and reassure the vulnerable people that I come into contact with. So I weigh my urge to mask out of respect vs the minor irritation of wearing the mask indoors for 30 minutes.

Last edited:
I think schools should just keep masking until the end of the school year and then start the new year in August with masking being optional. But given the growing pressure on schools even in many blue states and areas to end masking and other covid restrictions it's probably inevitable they're going to end it in most school systems before the end of the year, maybe even within the next month.

fart-farted.gif

VA state legislature (including the Democratic-controlled State Senate) passes legislation earlier this week ordering all VA school districts to lift masking mandates and make masking optional, Youngkin will sign it. So all VA school districts will soon be optional.

active shooter drills
poisonous water
poisonous air
no health insurance
poor nutrition

Agreed, this…

no hope how? Hope for what? I have three kids in grades 1, 8, and 10. and they are completely unharmed by the masks. They continue to thrive, as do their friends. They are in sports, clubs, after school activities. They have never complained for a moment about the masks. None of our friends and neighbors. We don't even talk about masks.

The only negatively affected kids in our system are the ones who contracted covid, or their parents contracted it.

What negative effects are you talking about?

This is hilarious. Expected, but hilarious nonetheless. You criticize #feelings over #science and #experts for 2 fucking years, but now you are all about your #feelings over #science and #experts when it fits your narrative.

I love how the immediate response of the usual crowd on here is "my kid wears his mask like a boss and does not complain about it so no issue with learning or development here." Do you let your 3 kids make other health-related decisions for themselves? When they want chicken fingers and M&Ms for every single meal, do you let them? Of course you do, because the 7 year old knows what is best for him. I'm sure he/she is capable of evaluating his learning and development relative to where it should generally fall. You do realize that there is a reason why kids under 18 can't sign contracts, need parental consent for medical treatment, etc.? Because they are not mature enough to make that decision for themselves, and because we are, again, as we have been told, supposed to follow the advice of medical #experts. But hey man, kids don't complain about masks in school so they must be great!

And, again, there is a host of medical evidence that masks on kids hinder development in a wide variety of ways. Here are just a few:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/1075842341/growing-calls-to-take-masks-off-children-in-school (reposting as this does a good job at younger ages)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/kids-masks-schools-weak-science/621133/

Add in that youth drug overdoses are at an all-time high, the youth suicide rate has basically doubled, youth depression and anxiety are at all-time highs, combined with the fact that CLOTH MASKS DO NOT WORK, and anyone who still promotes masking in schools is doing it for solely political purposes.

But since your kids love the masks so much and they should be making their own decisions on life in 1st, 8th, and 10th grades, once the mandates are lifted they are going to continue wearing the masks, right? Little W&B has 11 more years of voluntarily wearing a mask in school since, per your #feelings, it is so beneficial for him and there are no complaints. You'll need to post his 2033 high school graduation pictures with him rocking his mask.

2&2 just basically confirmed his kid is too dumb to wear a mask or make his own diet choices.

Solid response, scientist. Solid response.

Speaking of solid responses...any response to this:

Can you point me to any data on the harm that mask wearing causes kids older than 5? ThatGuy posted an NPR story a week or two ago that easily swayed my opinion that mask requirements for less than 5 can be detrimental to language and social development and therefore are not a good idea given the small Covid benefits. Anything thing to Kids and adults over 5?

Back