• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

You know what has negative effects on 10s of millions of kids?

active shooter drills
poisonous water
poisonous air
no health insurance
poor nutrition

I don't hear you saying jack shit about those issues around here but you sure have a lot to say about masks.

This is flawless.

This is hilarious. Expected, but hilarious nonetheless. You criticize #feelings over #science and #experts for 2 fucking years, but now you are all about your #feelings over #science and #experts when it fits your narrative.

I love how the immediate response of the usual crowd on here is "my kid wears his mask like a boss and does not complain about it so no issue with learning or development here." Do you let your 3 kids make other health-related decisions for themselves? When they want chicken fingers and M&Ms for every single meal, do you let them? Of course you do, because the 7 year old knows what is best for him. I'm sure he/she is capable of evaluating his learning and development relative to where it should generally fall. You do realize that there is a reason why kids under 18 can't sign contracts, need parental consent for medical treatment, etc.? Because they are not mature enough to make that decision for themselves, and because we are, again, as we have been told, supposed to follow the advice of medical #experts. But hey man, kids don't complain about masks in school so they must be great!

And, again, there is a host of medical evidence that masks on kids hinder development in a wide variety of ways. Here are just a few:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/1075842341/growing-calls-to-take-masks-off-children-in-school (reposting as this does a good job at younger ages)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/kids-masks-schools-weak-science/621133/

Add in that youth drug overdoses are at an all-time high, the youth suicide rate has basically doubled, youth depression and anxiety are at all-time highs, combined with the fact that CLOTH MASKS DO NOT WORK, and anyone who still promotes masking in schools is doing it for solely political purposes.

But since your kids love the masks so much and they should be making their own decisions on life in 1st, 8th, and 10th grades, once the mandates are lifted they are going to continue wearing the masks, right? Little W&B has 11 more years of voluntarily wearing a mask in school since, per your #feelings, it is so beneficial for him and there are no complaints. You'll need to post his 2033 high school graduation pictures with him rocking his mask.

2&2: These masks are terrible, they are causing negative effects in your life!!! WE do NOT want you wearing it any more!

little2&2: Really? What's going to happen to me if I wear the mask?!?!?!

2&2: (veins visibly throbbing through neck fat) BAD THINGS! All sorts of bad things, I read an article that said kids are OVERDOSING ON DRUGS!!!!

little2&2: I'm going to overdose on drugs if I wear the mask? How does that work?

2&2: (teeth clinched, fear visible in sunken, hypertension eyes): Enough! You are not qualified to make medical decisions for yourself! Your mother and I will handle that.

little2&2: I really don't mind the mask at all, I don't even notice it im so used to it. I saw on TV that Dr Fowchi said it could help slow the spread of Covid. I really don't want COVID dad.

2&2: Fauci is a baby eating communist. Didn't you hear dear President Trump? Fauci is the ENEMY! If you utter his name in this home again you will be punished!!

meanwhile, at the WakeandBake household:

WnB: Hey guys, how's school going? Are the masks a problem?

WnBkids: Hey dad, school is fine. No the masks aren't a problem. I made the travel basketball team! Yeah, and I was elected president of German club! And I scored the highest in the class on math!

WnB: (smiling broadly with entire healthy face and ideal body fat level neck) That's awesome guys! Keep up the good work! And keep on wearing your masks, we are almost at the end of this pandemic. We know you guys are all vaxxed up but we want to do our part to slow the spread and not transfer anything to other kids and teachers and staff at the school. It's the right thing to do, and we trust scientists and doctors with medical stuff like this.

WnBkids: No problem dad. I saw Dr Fauci on TV and he's been pretty solid about this. By the way, it turns out that President Trump is pretty much the biggest liar in the history of the world, huh? Everything that came out of his mouth was a lie, especially about COVID. I feel so sorry for all those people who died believing his lies!

WnB: Yeah, I sometimes encounter some of these people online. I feel sorry for them because they are being told simply what they want to hear and not hard truths, and they are lazy and believe these things and then whine like stuck pigs when they have to do anything that inconveniences them in the slightest. They are usually pudgy, soft flabby white men and women who are already a burdon on the healthcare system and take all sorts of medication for preventable conditions.

WnBkids: eeewww gross

WnB: yeah.

Speaking of solid responses...any response to this:

Can you point me to any data on the harm that mask wearing causes kids older than 5? ThatGuy posted an NPR story a week or two ago that easily swayed my opinion that mask requirements for less than 5 can be detrimental to language and social development and therefore are not a good idea given the small Covid benefits. Anything thing to Kids and adults over 5?

I just did, dipshit. It isn't my fault you either can't read and/or think that childhood development stops at 5 years old. Maybe in birds it does but not in humans, chief. But hey, you are allegedly the scientist.

I just did, dipshit. It isn't my fault you either can't read and/or think that childhood development stops at 5 years old. Maybe in birds it does but not in humans, chief. But hey, you are allegedly the scientist.

I may be a dipshit and I may have trouble reading, but that first article is the exact same article that Thatguy posted last week and it is all about 5 and under kids language and social development. The Atlantic Article repeats the same stuff as the NPR article and adds: "The WHO also explicitly counsels against masking children during physical activities, including running and jumping at the playground, so as not to compromise breathing." Then proceeds to reframe all the science as not conclusive regarding the benefit of masking in schools. Emphasizing uncertainty of benefit is not the same as showing harm. No actual demonstration that masks cause harm for middle school and high school students anywhere in either of the articles you posted. I am kind of wondering if you read anything but the title. Here is the second paragraph:

The CDC guidance on school masking is far-reaching, recommending “universal indoor masking by all students (age 2 and older), staff, teachers, and visitors to K–12 schools, regardless of vaccination status.” In contrast, many countries—the U.K., Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and others—have not taken the U.S.’s approach, and instead follow World Health Organization guidelines, which recommend against masking children ages 5 and younger, because this age group is at low risk of illness, because masks are not “in the overall interest of the child,” and because many children are unable to wear masks properly. Even for children ages 6 to 11, the WHO does not routinely recommend masks, because of the “potential impact of wearing a mask on learning and psychosocial development.” The WHO also explicitly counsels against masking children during physical activities, including running and jumping at the playground, so as not to compromise breathing.

They are making such a big deal about the WHO guidelines so I went and read those... did you read those?

WHO and UNICEF advise that the decision to use masks for children aged 6-11 should be based on the following factors:

-Whether there is widespread transmission in the area where the child resides
-The ability of the child to safely and appropriately use a mask
-Access to masks, as well as laundering and replacement of masks in certain settings (such as schools and childcare services)
-Adequate adult supervision and instructions to the child on how to put on, take off and safely wear masks
-Potential impact of wearing a mask on learning and psychosocial development, in consultation with teachers, parents/caregivers and/or medical providers
-Specific settings and interactions the child has with other people who are at high risk of developing serious illness, such as the elderly and those with other underlying health conditions

WHO and UNICEF advise that children aged 12 and over should wear a mask under the same conditions as adults, in particular when they cannot guarantee at least a 1-metre distance from others and there is widespread transmission in the area.

That kind of contradicts your whole argument but it's a lot of words which might bore you so I'm gonna post this again:

WHO and UNICEF advise that children aged 12 and over should wear a mask under the same conditions as adults, in particular when they cannot guarantee at least a 1-metre distance from others and there is widespread transmission in the area.

Now tell this illiterate dipshit ornithologist one more time, what is the evidence that masks harm middle and high school students?

His dumb kid is becoming dumber and hates wearing masks because his asshole dad told him they were a problem. Anecdotal point to 2&2, you lose birdman.

This is hilarious. Expected, but hilarious nonetheless. You criticize #feelings over #science and #experts for 2 fucking years, but now you are all about your #feelings over #science and #experts when it fits your narrative.

I love how the immediate response of the usual crowd on here is "my kid wears his mask like a boss and does not complain about it so no issue with learning or development here." Do you let your 3 kids make other health-related decisions for themselves? When they want chicken fingers and M&Ms for every single meal, do you let them? Of course you do, because the 7 year old knows what is best for him. I'm sure he/she is capable of evaluating his learning and development relative to where it should generally fall. You do realize that there is a reason why kids under 18 can't sign contracts, need parental consent for medical treatment, etc.? Because they are not mature enough to make that decision for themselves, and because we are, again, as we have been told, supposed to follow the advice of medical #experts. But hey man, kids don't complain about masks in school so they must be great!

And, again, there is a host of medical evidence that masks on kids hinder development in a wide variety of ways. Here are just a few:

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/28/1075842341/growing-calls-to-take-masks-off-children-in-school (reposting as this does a good job at younger ages)

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/kids-masks-schools-weak-science/621133/

Add in that youth drug overdoses are at an all-time high, the youth suicide rate has basically doubled, youth depression and anxiety are at all-time highs, combined with the fact that CLOTH MASKS DO NOT WORK, and anyone who still promotes masking in schools is doing it for solely political purposes.

But since your kids love the masks so much and they should be making their own decisions on life in 1st, 8th, and 10th grades, once the mandates are lifted they are going to continue wearing the masks, right? Little W&B has 11 more years of voluntarily wearing a mask in school since, per your #feelings, it is so beneficial for him and there are no complaints. You'll need to post his 2033 high school graduation pictures with him rocking his mask.

Dude condescendingly talks about medical evidence then links to npr and the atlantic.

2&2:medical evidence::NBA refs:Kyle Lowry's foot

I think he and a lot of people are conflating correlation and causation. If it's the mask mandates that are causing the harms instead of the pandemic (stress, anxiety, depression, drug use, suicides...), then if the mask mandates are lifted then those problems will go away. It seems that many want to act as if behaving like we did before Covid will make the world be like it was before Covid.

Teenage suicide rates in the US have been rising 2009. Yes there was a spike in 2020 and 2021, but those were also the years of at home/distance schooling for much of the country, probably a much bigger factor in teenage depression than wearing a mask.

A big part of this is that as more and more places and school districts drop mask mandates, Trumpites are popping up and yelling "See, we were right all along - masking doesn't work and should never have been implemented. Suck it librul expert elites!" Of course they just ignore how conditions have changed in many ways since the pandemic started, and they have no actual interest in the science - the goal is just to get another "gotcha!" on liberals.

Last edited:
A big part of this is that as more and more places and school districts drop mask mandates, Trumpites are popping up and yelling "See, we were right all along - masking doesn't work and should never have been implemented. Suck it librul expert elites!" Of course they just ignore how conditions have changed in many ways since the pandemic started, and they have no actual interest in the science - the goal is just to get another "gotcha!" on liberals.

Had they locked down day 1... things would be different.

She's been an outspoken anti-vaxxer for awhile, and apparently attended the recent rally where Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. compared vaccine mandates to the Holocaust.

Back