• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

From the NYT morning email, re: this study: https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/f...e=1&user_id=3f86a4e1bad9389d2c029d6abbdbb4fd&

I asked the authors of the Health Affairs study to put their findings into terms that we nonscientists could understand, and they were kind enough to do so. The estimates are fairly stunning:

At the current level of infection in the U.S. (about 200,000 confirmed new infections per day), a vaccine that is 95 percent effective — distributed at the expected pace — would still leave a terrible toll in the six months after it was introduced. Almost 10 million or so Americans would contract the virus, and more than 160,000 would die.

This is far worse than the toll in an alternate universe in which the vaccine was only 50 percent effective but the U.S. had reduced the infection rate to its level in early September (about 35,000 new daily cases). In that scenario, the death toll in the next six months would be kept to about 60,000.

It’s worth pausing for a moment on this comparison, because it’s deeply counterintuitive. If the U.S. had maintained its infection rate from September and Moderna and Pfizer had announced this fall that their vaccines were only 50 percent effective, a lot of people would have freaked out.

But the reality we have is actually worse.

How could this be? No vaccine can eliminate a pandemic immediately, just as no fire hose can put out a forest fire. While the vaccine is being distributed, the virus continues to do damage. “Bluntly stated, we’ll get out of this pandemic faster if we give the vaccine less work to do,” A. David Paltiel, one of the Health Affairs authors and a professor at the Yale School of Public Health, told me.

Oxford Moderna vaccine trial preliminary results published on-line by The Lancet.

Link

Dude bro fat is a risk factor, losing weight lowers the risk. Ummm...

Unfortunately, biology and medicine just aren’t that simple. Perhaps the risk of obesity with COVID is the years of strain it puts on the heart, so weight loss will not reverse that strain and will not make any difference for a given individual in regards to COVID death risk. Since the effect of weight loss on COVID is completely unknown, it’s a terrible area to focus public health messaging and resources, especially when there are highly effective public health approaches for preventing the spread of infectious diseases (see the success of other countries).

From the NYT morning email, re: this study: https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/f...e=1&user_id=3f86a4e1bad9389d2c029d6abbdbb4fd&

I asked the authors of the Health Affairs study to put their findings into terms that we nonscientists could understand, and they were kind enough to do so. The estimates are fairly stunning:

At the current level of infection in the U.S. (about 200,000 confirmed new infections per day), a vaccine that is 95 percent effective — distributed at the expected pace — would still leave a terrible toll in the six months after it was introduced. Almost 10 million or so Americans would contract the virus, and more than 160,000 would die.

This is far worse than the toll in an alternate universe in which the vaccine was only 50 percent effective but the U.S. had reduced the infection rate to its level in early September (about 35,000 new daily cases). In that scenario, the death toll in the next six months would be kept to about 60,000.

It’s worth pausing for a moment on this comparison, because it’s deeply counterintuitive. If the U.S. had maintained its infection rate from September and Moderna and Pfizer had announced this fall that their vaccines were only 50 percent effective, a lot of people would have freaked out.

But the reality we have is actually worse.

How could this be? No vaccine can eliminate a pandemic immediately, just as no fire hose can put out a forest fire. While the vaccine is being distributed, the virus continues to do damage. “Bluntly stated, we’ll get out of this pandemic faster if we give the vaccine less work to do,” A. David Paltiel, one of the Health Affairs authors and a professor at the Yale School of Public Health, told me.

I can’t vouch for the numbers (but I’ve no reason to doubt them)...but sure, that makes sense.

Yeah you don’t even need to model the numbers just use simple assumptions, write up the paper. You have roughly 2000 deaths a day at current pace for 180 days, 360,000 death. Assume vaccine is 100% effective, going to long term care first representing 50% of current deaths, deaths now 180,000. Instead you have 35,000 cases and proportionally then 400 deaths a day, or 72,000 deaths. Vaccine goes to the same people but 50% effective, so you have only 18,000 averted or 54,000 deaths. Though at some point between naturally acquired immunity and vaccine coverage you will drop the communal spread lower and lower, while not herd immunity you should have a decrease in infection rates. Hell any mitigation and vaccination at like 100 million people would plummet numbers.

Yeah you don’t even need to model the numbers just use simple assumptions, write up the paper. You have roughly 2000 deaths a day at current pace for 180 days, 360,000 death. Assume vaccine is 100% effective, going to long term care first representing 50% of current deaths, deaths now 180,000. Instead you have 35,000 cases and proportionally then 400 deaths a day, or 72,000 deaths. Vaccine goes to the same people but 50% effective, so you have only 18,000 averted or 54,000 deaths. Though at some point between naturally acquired immunity and vaccine coverage you will drop the communal spread lower and lower, while not herd immunity you should have a decrease in infection rates. Hell any mitigation and vaccination at like 100 million people would plummet numbers.

So what's the total dead ?

Nature article reports that five specific genes may be linked to more serious illnesses in those infected with Covid-19. The findings may lead to better treatment drugs.

Nature Article

Vaccine is on the move! Pfizer vaccine has left the production and is headed for hospitals all over the country. FedEx is handling deliveries in the western part of the country. UPS is doing the east. Deliveries are expected to begin around 8 am tomorrow morning.

Vaccine is on the move! Pfizer vaccine has left the production and is headed for hospitals all over the country. FedEx is handling deliveries in the western part of the country. UPS is doing the east. Deliveries are expected to begin around 8 am tomorrow morning.

Hopefully the beginning of what will eventually be the “end”.

Or the beginning of the biggest class action lawsuit in US history. How long before we have our first named plaintiff - one month? Two months? Class certification by the end of the year? Donald Ross is standing by on the vacc line. Will he sleep at all during 2021? Where is James Sokolove? He has to be salivating.

Or the beginning of the biggest class action lawsuit in US history. How long before we have our first named plaintiff - one month? Two months? Class certification by the end of the year? Donald Ross is standing by on the vacc line. Will he sleep at all during 2021? Where is James Sokolove? He has to be salivating.

Who's the defendant? Don't vaccine manufactures have indemnity?

I'm not a lawyer though, so maybe someone who is would know.

I'm not a lawyer though, so maybe someone who is would know.

They do - claims go through the Vaccine Injury Compensation Program. It seems to me that the entire world getting this vaccine rather quickly (over the next year), will help protect against people in the US trying to make some money by claiming injury.

Just got great news from California where WF04 just got vaccinated.
Coming home daily to two young children and a 39 week pregnant wife was challenging to say the least.
Hopefully all our healthcare workers will be vaccinated soon.

Got my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine this AM.

Little sore at the injection site and some mild myalgia but otherwise fine so far. Grateful to be able to get it early.

I believe the word you are looking for is immunity, not indemnity.

Given the topic, that was a weird one to flub.

My dad spent much of the day yelling on the phone at nurses and doctors who are missing their covid vaccine appointments after some dumbass cardiology fellow was spreading Facebook-inspired antivax misinformation on the floor.

Not great

My dad spent much of the day yelling on the phone at nurses and doctors who are missing their covid vaccine appointments after some dumbass cardiology fellow was spreading Facebook-inspired antivax misinformation on the floor.

Not great

Why would doctors believe a cardiology fellow spreading misinformation?

Not great

So either (1) doctors (and nurses), who obviously can think for themselves and are seemingly at high risk, are ducking the vaccine for whatever reason. Yet everyone else is supposed to literally bend over and take it. Or, (2) the doctors (and nurses) are dumb enough to be duped by Facebook-inspired misinfo about medicine, yet per Rafi the institutional stooge we are supposed to follow their medical advice. Which is it? This is such a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

Where is #smallsamplesizedeac when we need him?

Goddamn you jump to some stupid fucking conclusions based on small anecdotal stories.

So either (1) doctors (and nurses), who obviously can think for themselves and are seemingly at high risk, are ducking the vaccine for whatever reason. Yet everyone else is supposed to literally bend over and take it. Or, (2) the doctors (and nurses) are dumb enough to be duped by Facebook-inspired misinfo about medicine, yet per Rafi the institutional stooge we are supposed to follow their medical advice. Which is it? This is such a clusterfuck of epic proportions.

So (1) the fake 2&2 doesn't understand what literally means; and (2) the fake 2&2 doesn't know where the vaccine is administered.

Back