• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Two questions.

Is Big Ass Fans a huge Trump donor?
What does one hour mean? People are only exposed for an hour as opposed to a longer period of time?

Two questions.

Is Big Ass Fans a huge Trump donor?
What does one hour mean? People are only exposed for an hour as opposed to a longer period of time?

Ultraviolet light has a long history of use as a disinfectant. It is effective against the SARS and MER Coronavirus cousins of Covid-19.

The hour is CDC/NIOSH calculation to remove 99.99% of pathogens from their "standard" room. UV-C light with wavelengths 250-270 nanometers seems to be the most effective at killing virus. However, it is not good for human eyes. BAF has developed a UV-C light array that sits above the fan blades and irradiates upward toward the ceiling. It only takes seconds for UV-C to kill virus.

Essentially, all the air in the room has to pass by the light to achieve disinfection. The faster the fan moves the air, the faster this can be achieved. However, the air cannot move too fast or it won't spend enough time in the UV light.

BAF claims less than 10 minutes to get 99% virus kill. There seems to be a "threshold" amount of virus you need to inhale to get sick, however the threshold seems to vary from person to person. Thus reducing the virus concentration will reduce the likelihood that someone in the room will get infected.

BAF fans aren't cheap. About $2,000 for the entry level fan with UV light system. One reason they did this so quickly is that they were already designing an above fan blade, ceiling facing lighting system just for decoration. It was not too hard to redo it to use UV-C light tubes instead of multicolored lights.

^ This isn't exactly correct. Upper room UV light has been an ASHRAE recommendation for indoor air quality as a disinfectant for going on two decades at this point. Literally every HVAC manufacturer makes a UV light equipped for use like you're mentioning. Big Ass Fans is extremely limited in what they can do for IAQ and just (rightly) taking advantage of their application. There's much more specific products that would be far superior in eliminating COVID and nearly every HVAC company has one at this point.

Finally got my 1st vaccine dose today.

I had to delay it a bit for second-dose scheduling reasons.

Just a little arm soreness so far, about like most flu shots.

Finally got my 1st vaccine dose today.

I had to delay it a bit for second-dose scheduling reasons.

Just a little arm soreness so far, about like most flu shots.

I’m too lazy to look back - how/why/where did you get it?

Yep—lol.

Healthcare worker.

Got it at the hospital where I work.

Arm’s a little more sore now than average flu shot. Not a problem, just suggests an appropriate/desired immune response.

Sure hope next fall and winter are better—everyone git yer shot when you can!

I just learned that law is category 1c. So maybe I can get mine by March. Lifted my spirits a bit.

Yep—lol.

Healthcare worker.

Arm’s a little more sore now than average flu shot. Not a problem, just suggests an appropriate/desired immune response.

Negative - it means that Bill Gates is now tracking you. For what - I have no idea. But the microchip is why your arm is sore.

i get mine on Monday...looking forward to it!

i was surprised that i had to be back for the second injection exactly 3 weeks later at the same exact time.

Yep—lol.

Healthcare worker.

I can get mine right after every fatass in NC has gotten his/hers.

i get mine on Monday...looking forward to it!

i was surprised that i had to be back for the second injection exactly 3 weeks later at the same exact time.

They told me 21 +/- 2...:noidea:

Negative - it means that Bill Gates is now tracking you. For what - I have no idea. But the microchip is why your arm is sore.

no one's buying Windows phones so Gates figured this would be the best bet to track you

Back