• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

I'm not sure what the big deal is. We know the vaccine will protect against symptoms, but we don't know if it will prevent spread. That's why people who have had the vaccine need to wear masks and social distance. Seems like that's all she's saying.

WHO loves to get on their soap box and discuss things in pure black and white global terms that have no basis in reality, they are like the MHBD Of the public health world. It’s basically if you don’t have the vaccine yet then you might not be breaking transmission because these vaccine have the possibility to allow spread to still occur to those not vaccinated. So it’s a rich nations will use this vaccine but will somebody think of everyone else in the world who won’t have access anytime soon. So sorry the vaccine developed in less than a year isn’t up to your WHO perfect standards.

That doesn’t seem to be an accurate representation of what she says in that video. What’s your agenda here?

She seems to be contradicting the conclusions of the US FDA and the EU medical regulators.

Unless I’m missing something, she’s saying exactly what the US and EU are saying. We don’t know if the vaccine stops the spread but we know it stops the symptoms.

To Ph’s point, From Johns Hopkins website:

Will we still need to wear masks and practice physical distancing once a vaccine is available?

We will still need to wear masks and practice physical distancing until a large proportion of the population is vaccinated and we are sure the vaccine provides long-term protection. Initially, we will not have enough vaccine to vaccinate everyone who wants the vaccine and the virus will still be transmitted.

Although the phase 3 clinical trials are designed to determine whether vaccinated individuals are protected against disease, it will also be important to understand whether vaccinated individuals are less likely to transmit the virus. This is likely but not ensured. If a vaccine not only protects against disease but reduces transmission, and continues to do so for many years, we are likely to reach a state of herd protection when masks and physical distancing will no longer be required. Herd protection is achieved when a sufficient proportion of the population is made non-infectious through vaccination or natural infection so that the likelihood of an infectious individual transmitting to a susceptible individual is very low.

The truth is we’ll have to wait and see if these vaccines lead to successful/enduring herd immunity.

Some how my parents are getting the vaccine today?!?! I don't know how since there are still plenty of medical workers in Florida that still haven't gotten it but I won't complain too loudly to too many people.

Some how my parents are getting the vaccine today?!?! I don't know how since there are still plenty of medical workers in Florida that still haven't gotten it but I won't complain too loudly to too many people.

Your state thinks this is a hoax, so no one ahead of them wanted the vaccine.

I got mine last night (physician). Shoulder is actually pretty sore but no other side effects. I am very grateful.

Assholes trying to passively create confusion about the vaccine and diminish confidence can fuck right off. You are not my boy, blue.

Just got an email from a friend in TX who is eligible due to a couple bouts of cancer, but the pharmacy told him they'd only gotten in enough for 100 people, and they didn't know when they were getting more. Seems like an uneven and slower than expected rollout.

Healthcare workers with patient contact are 1A. 65 and older comes after that.

My dad is 74 with diabetes and a heart condition. He is in great shape considering (5’10”, 160lbs, walks 3 miles a day and gave up alcohol 12 years ago) so I think he is worthy of the vaccine, I just thought drs and nurses would use up the first batch and he’d get his in February.

Back