• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Got a text from my healthcare provider yesterday (University Hospital, Augusta) with an opening for a vaccine tomorrow (1/28) moving me up from my March 12th (SC) date.
They also automatically scheduled me for my 2nd shot, 2/25.
Very happy.

Got a text from my healthcare provider yesterday (University Hospital, Augusta) with an opening for a vaccine tomorrow (1/28) moving me up from my March 12th (SC) date.
Very happy.

I applaud you and anyone that gets it vs those who do not for ridiculous reasons.

Very happy.

Our county has a sign up which puts you into a "waiting room" before giving a reservation.

Interesting that in this part of the world, South Carolina is 70+ while Georgia is 65+.
South Carolina allowed me to register but at 69 years, 7 months, glad I got the Georgia appt.
No one I know here has resisted on getting the shot though I do have a family member who suggested I should wait. Said, Aaron died 18 days after getting the vaccine.
In my mind you can't jab me quick enough.
In my mind Biden should "order" every capable Pharma manufacturer to produce the vaccine. Not sure why that hasn't happened.

Last edited:
He has enacted the Defense Production Act and anticipates 200M doses available over the next 3-4 months.

Interesting that in this part of the world, South Carolina is 70+ while Georgia is 65+.
South Carolina allowed me to register but at 69 years, 7 months, glad I got the Georgia appt.
No one I know here has resisted on getting the shot though I do have a family member who suggested I should wait. Said, Aaron died 18 days after getting the vaccine.
In my mind Biden should "order" every capable Pharma manufacturer to produce the vaccine. Not sure why that hasn't happened.

I’m far from an expert but there may be limitations as far as the capability to manufacture the messenger RNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna). It’s a fairly new type of vaccine that has never been produced at scale before and I’m not sure what amount of specialization is required. The J&J vaccine is the more traditional type that contains a small amount of the actual virus.

He has enacted the Defense Production Act and anticipates 200M doses available over the next 3-4 months.

The defense production act can be used to make sure there is enough of all the support stuff needed for vaccination. Needles, syringes, alcohol prep pads etc. It can't really do much to speed up production of actual vaccine.

To bring any additional vaccines on line they have to complete phase 3 clinical trials and show safety and efficacy. Expect Johnson & Johnson to be there soon. That would bump up vaccine supply about 50%.

Some companies have realized their own vaccines are late to the game so to get in on it they have licensed others, so yes that is happening. For example Sanofi has licensed Pfizer’s vaccine and will produce 100 million doses under the agreement.

Just by chance alone, people will die after receiving the vaccine, because thousands of people die each day in the US.

Check my quick math on this, but:
3,000,000 people die each year in the US, so that is ~55,000 people per week
Let's say we vaccinate 8 million people per week
If the same death rate is applied to those 8 million people, about 1300 of them will die each week

Obviously these are very crude calculations that do not take into account age, underlying conditions, increased deaths this year because of COVID, etc., but you get the idea.

Just by chance alone, people will die after receiving the vaccine, because thousands of people die each day in the US.

Check my quick math on this, but:
3,000,000 people die each year in the US, so that is ~55,000 people per week
Let's say we vaccinate 8 million people per week
If the same death rate is applied to those 8 million people, about 1300 of them will die each week

Obviously these are very crude calculations that do not take into account age, underlying conditions, increased deaths this year because of COVID, etc., but you get the idea.
What is the excess death total above that 3000000 for the last twelve months?

So I got my 2nd does on Monday and it messed me up for the next day. From what I have read (and experienced), the symptoms don't really start until 12-16 hours after you get the second shot. I had a bad headache, muscle pain (really bad in lower back) and joints. I also had night sweats and chilling cold when trying to sleep, which I didn't get much of the first night. I was feeling better yesterday evening, but still had night sweats and cold last night but not as bad as the night before. Feeling good today though (for the most part).

so enjoy!

Oh, BTW, I got the Pfizer vaccine

Youyang Gu estimates that essentially any adult who wants a vaccine can get a first dose by the end of April:

EstVeMGU4AMmpTt

This assumes J&J comes online with its single dose vaccine starting late Feb/early March, and that we'll have 200 million doses administered in Biden's first 100 days (twice the original goal)

I just got a sore arm after both 1st and 2nd doses. That was it for me. Actually, the soreness was more after the 1st dose than the 2nd.

:noidea:

Same

What is the excess death total above that 3000000 for the last twelve months?

All the stats are preliminary, but I believe there were about 350,000 excess deaths in the US last year (2,750,000 deaths were expected and 3,100,000 actually died).

So I got my 2nd does on Monday and it messed me up for the next day. From what I have read (and experienced), the symptoms don't really start until 12-16 hours after you get the second shot. I had a bad headache, muscle pain (really bad in lower back) and joints. I also had night sweats and chilling cold when trying to sleep, which I didn't get much of the first night. I was feeling better yesterday evening, but still had night sweats and cold last night but not as bad as the night before. Feeling good today though (for the most part).

so enjoy!

That's good - that means it worked! I got a little achy the day after my second shot.

have had a few buddies and friends of friends that got hit by a truck almost exactly 12 hours in on dose 2

why might that be? round 2 is the exact same as round 1, yeah?

have had a few buddies and friends of friends that got hit by a truck almost exactly 12 hours in on dose 2

why might that be? round 2 is the exact same as round 1, yeah?

Round one puts your immune system on notice about Covid virus. Round two it is ready to mount a significant response. The plan is that second response keeps your body ready to respond for years.

Back