• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

That’s pretty good for a vaccine you can get within a 15 months of the start of a pandemic.

The J&J vaccine is supposedly nearly 100% effective in preventing serious illness that would result in hospitalization and death, which is all anyone should really care about with these vaccines. It’s also only one dose.

Lots of long term effects are possible, even if you aren’t hospitalized. I personally enjoy my sense of taste and smell.

Yeah I mean I’ll take whatever I can get as far as vaccine options but would just as soon not have the J&J version. Seems like if you get that one you’ll still have to continue to take significant precautions until community spread is basically eliminated.

I was having this conversation with someone yesterday but I think the mRNA vaccines are most likely way too high of a dose and a second dose much less necessary the younger you are. Our hypothesis is that protection and a reaction in the elderly is what is most needed so developers went with the higher the better, then for longevity, while not always the case, usually more antigen means more memory and longer lasting protection. Those two things in mind and you have sky high doses. That’s why you have such ridiculous reactions in healthy people, it’s way too much antigen at once. All that said I’d be perfectly happy taking the Janssen vaccine.

I was having this conversation with someone yesterday but I think the mRNA vaccines are most likely way too high of a dose and a second dose much less necessary the younger you are. Our hypothesis is that protection and a reaction in the elderly is what is most needed so developers went with the higher the better, then for longevity, while not always the case, usually more antigen means more memory and longer lasting protection. Those two things in mind and you have sky high doses. That’s why you have such ridiculous reactions in healthy people, it’s way too much antigen at once. All that said I’d be perfectly happy taking the Janssen vaccine.

I assume you mean the J&J.

Is there any ranking of the assumed effectiveness of the vaccines such as:

1. Pfizer
2. Moderna
3. AZ
4. J&J

Had a friend show up at CVS in Lancaster, SC 30 minutes before closing and get the first shot from leftover doses. Moderna vaccine. Heard about someone else doing the same thing at CVS in Orangeburg.

CVS is not yet administering in NC.

Technically the vaccine is from Janssen pharmaceuticals, under the parent company name Johnson and Johnson for pure goodwill recognition.

i got the pfizer, 2d dose couple weeKS

wife got moderna, 2d dose in a couple weeks

First, I really appreciate your covid related posts. I had my annual physical yesterday and was talking to my doc. I'm in my mid-50s and told her that I was leaning toward 1 of the mRNA vaccines, even if that meant waiting. She said that was reasonable and thought the J&J would be perfectly fine for younger and healthy folks.

I have 2 friends > 65 who drove down to the Lynchburg area CVSs yesterday to get their 1st shots.

Heading over to Disneyland in a couple minutes to get my shot. Still trying to decide if I should get it while riding Matterhorn or Pirates of the Caribbean.

Also as a side note for after you receive your vaccine, if you have any reactions do everyone a favor and report them to VAERS no matter how insignificant you feel it might be. While overall vaccines are safe the immediate side effects trends need to be known so informed decision can be made. For example, covid arm is now a well known side effect gathered from the VAERS system where usually Moderna, but sometimes with Pfizer, after about a week you can develop a large, red, sometimes itchy rash at the site of injection. Knowing this allows for treatment memos to be distributed so providers know its not an infection and has been seen before. Same with lymphadenopathy and now providers asking about covid vaccination before mammograms since post-vaccination swelling was showing up looking like cancer.

Also as a side note for after you receive your vaccine, if you have any reactions do everyone a favor and report them to VAERS no matter how insignificant you feel it might be. While overall vaccines are safe the immediate side effects trends need to be known so informed decision can be made. For example, covid arm is now a well known side effect gathered from the VAERS system where usually Moderna, but sometimes with Pfizer, after about a week you can develop a large, red, sometimes itchy rash at the site of injection. Knowing this allows for treatment memos to be distributed so providers know its not an infection and has been seen before. Same with lymphadenopathy and now providers asking about covid vaccination before mammograms since post-vaccination swelling was showing up looking like cancer.

Is VAERS one of the anti-vaxx Facebook pages? If so, I'm way ahead of you.

Got back from getting my first dose of Moderna. The only side effect was I started clapping and looking for someone to toss me some fish.

The nurses say they are vaccinating about 5000 per day at Disneyland.

Wow, who could have seen this coming. Why even make the original statement when there are so many unknowns right now?

Moderna press release with accelerated distribution schedule:

45 million delivered to U.S. Government to date
additional 55 million delivered by end of March (meaning, more Moderna doses will be delivered between today and 3/31 than the total (54.6 million) Pfizer and Moderna doses combined administered in the US to date)
additional 100 million delivered by end of May
additional 100 million delivered by end of July

Pfizer is also ramping up its delivery schedule - there should easily be 150 million doses (in a 2-dose regimen) delivered to the U.S. from those two manufacturers by the end of March. Throw in J&J and we're north of 100 million vaccinations delivered by the end of March; at that point getting those doses into arms will be a larger logistical hurdle

Had a friend show up at CVS in Lancaster, SC 30 minutes before closing and get the first shot from leftover doses. Moderna vaccine. Heard about someone else doing the same thing at CVS in Orangeburg.

CVS is not yet administering in NC.

i took my MIL to a wags in Raleigh and same thing happened. some couple just hung around til last call and got their shots. WAGs and CVS split up the states AFAIK so only one is serving any given state.

Back