• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

My wife's coworker found a spot where they just give out 100 doses every morning first come first serve. I'm going to try and jump the line next Saturday and don't feel bad about it one bit

Thank God they will be doing the vaccines at the Anaheim Convention Hall rather than Disneyland parking lots today. It's 42 and windy.

Just got a notification to sign up for vaccine alerts through the campus' emergency alert system, which will tell me-hopefully on a daily basis-if there are extra vaccines that they want to inject into someone. Was advised "not to share this outside [the university's] faculty", which makes me think that they will not be checking IDs and that anyone can come in from town and get vaccinated if they knew about it. No idea which vaccine it is yet. Word is, that the state of Virginia will be vaccinating group 1c in about a month, which I am in.

Because of getting my second vaccine, the local theater allowing only 25% occupancy and the ability to get seats with no one within 10-12', I'll be going to see The Courier tomorrow.

My 16 year old daughter got her first shot yesterday (she has asthma).

Friend of mine got theirs today in Davie County, no questions asked.

I found the NYT discussion of the UK's approach -- focusing on getting one shot to more people, pushing the booster back to 3+ months -- to be a compelling strategy and matches up with my understanding, especially for people 65 and younger

I found the NYT discussion of the UK's approach -- focusing on getting one shot to more people, pushing the booster back to 3+ months -- to be a compelling strategy and matches up with my understanding, especially for people 65 and younger

A good friend of mine from Wake is on the UK Med School staff. They have been holding events that have given out about 1500 shots/Saturday and Sunday a few times. Lexington seems to be doing pretty well.

A good friend of mine from Wake is on the UK Med School staff. They have been holding events that have given out about 1500 shots/Saturday and Sunday a few times. Lexington seems to be doing pretty well.

he's referring to the United Kingdom, not the University of Kentucky

The UK has prioritized one "jab" for as many citizens as possible first, delaying dose #2 for as long as 3 months.

Currently 38% of Brits have one shot but only 2.6% are fully vaccinated
In the U.S., those percentages are 22% and 12%, respectively

This idea was kicked around previously on this board - you didn't like it

A delay seems OK

As Dr. Robert Wachter of the University of California, San Francisco, has written, “According to most vaccine experts, delaying shot #2 by a few months is unlikely to materially diminish the ultimate effectiveness of two shots.”
In Britain, the daily number of new Covid cases has fallen by more than 90 percent since peaking in early January. The decline is larger than in virtually any other country. (In the U.S., new cases have fallen 79 percent since January.) Given that the contagious B.1.1.7 variant was first discovered in Britain and is now the country’s dominant virus form, “Britain’s free-fall in cases is all the more impressive,” Wachter told me. “Clearly their vaccination strategy has been highly effective.”

It is absolutely wild that less than a year after this thread was started, a handful of us are fully vaccinated and the rest are soon to follow. I'm not sure if I made any predictions about timing, but I would have been wrong.

It is absolutely wild that less than a year after this thread was started, a handful of us are fully vaccinated and the rest are soon to follow. I'm not sure if I made any predictions about timing, but I would have been wrong.

Yeah I mean it’s been far from perfect at times but it’s a literal miracle that we are here right now. Thanks science!

Situation on the ground was as long as you're good with lying, you can get a vaccine.

Fema knows what they are doing.

GSO coliseum site is run by Cone Health and Guilford Health Department. FEMA is over at the mall. I have heard good things about the FEMA operation too. There were a few reservists at the coliseum, but all they were doing was checking that my name was on the appointment list.

Back