Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Possible good news about Remdesivir trials as a treatment. Obviously, if a treatment for severe cases can be identified, it will be a game changer. Remdesivir has shown a lot of promise.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/...-to-treatment/

Quote Originally Posted by TAG1615 View Post
    Possible good news about Remdesivir trials as a treatment. Obviously, if a treatment for severe cases can be identified, it will be a game changer. Remdesivir has shown a lot of promise.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/...-to-treatment/
    Single arm, non-controlled data. Might work, but something heard at the cafeteria over the weekend isnít definitive evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    Single arm, non-controlled data. Might work, but something heard at the cafeteria over the weekend isnít definitive evidence.
    Agreed. However, Remdesivir is a drug that showed promise with MERS and has been discussed a lot in the past couple months as a potential treatment. It is not something out of left field, which, gives me some hope.

Scooter Banks
    Go to the Elf's house. We're just a bit West of there.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAG1615 View Post
    Agreed. However, Remdesivir is a drug that showed promise with MERS and has been discussed a lot in the past couple months as a potential treatment. It is not something out of left field, which, gives me some hope.
    I have an in-law who worked that U of C call. It has not worked on everyone. The article makes it sound like it works on a pretty high percentage. I don't know. But I was told when it works it works fast. So fast they are discharging people within a couple of days and aren't always able to get good monitoring data. Working on dosages.

British scientist claims vaccine could be ready by Autumn:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...h-2020-4%3famp

One of the people on staff at the Weather Company is a participant in a vaccine trial at Emory U. Med School.

http://From The Weather Channel Andr...pl-coronavirus

Update to the Milken Institute tracker of vaccines and therapies.

92 Vaccine candidates being studied. Over 140 treatments also being researched.

Milken Institute Covid Research tracker

Banhammer'd
    The existence of the Milken Institute proves that crime does pay and pay very well.

But Trump's feelings...
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

Or, let me take a Republican "Banghazi" approach...

Trump LIED, people DIED.

Banhammer'd
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post
    So what?

Trumps owns shares in the company. We must keep using it!!!

More pre-print problems:

Birds are real.

Bummer. Thought the HCQ + Zpack + Zinc was going to help folks, but guess not. Glad they figured this out quickly either way.

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconBrews View Post
    Bummer. Thought the HCQ + Zpack + Zinc was going to help folks, but guess not. Glad they figured this out quickly either way.
    We still haven't figured it out. Need randomized trials to know for sure. But I feel pretty comfortable in saying if there is a benefit, it's likely to be relatively small, not a game changer.

Yep

John Ioannidis, Stanford U, has an interesting perspective on both the pandemic and medical research results in general. The paper on research results needs more digesting, as it is has a lot of research statistics and some modelling simulations
    The U tube interview (study on the pandemic) is long. 1:12:00

Wikipedia entry John Ioannidis of Stanford

Stanford bio: John Ioannidis

Paper: Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

Presentation of a Study on the Pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    John Ioannidis, Stanford U, has an interesting perspective on both the pandemic and medical research results in general. The paper on research results needs more digesting, as it is has a lot of research statistics and some modelling simulations
    The U tube interview (study on the pandemic) is long. 1:12:00

Wikipedia entry John Ioannidis of Stanford

Stanford bio: John Ioannidis

Paper: Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

Presentation of a Study on the Pandemic
    We discussed this on the non-political thread, but there are major sampling and analytic issues with the paper. The issues are covered here and, if you're able to get through a lot of highly technical statistical jargon, here.

Ioannidis, as others have pointed out, is a shit stirrer in the research field and, like many shit stirrers, is a hypocrite when it comes to the specificity of his own research. One of the authors also published an op-ed without disclosing that he was an author of the study and Ioannidis and Bhattacharya have been prominent sources on conservative articles and op-eds that question stay-at-home orders and advocate for re-opening the economy.

ETA:
    Last edited by Strickland33; 04-22-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    We're going to be good again.

Primary OGB Benefactor
    Cured.

Thank you UofL !

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    Cured.

Thank you UofL !

So, now it appears adding L'ville to the ACC was good thing after all.