• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Single arm, non-controlled data. Might work, but something heard at the cafeteria over the weekend isn’t definitive evidence.

Agreed. However, Remdesivir is a drug that showed promise with MERS and has been discussed a lot in the past couple months as a potential treatment. It is not something out of left field, which, gives me some hope.

Agreed. However, Remdesivir is a drug that showed promise with MERS and has been discussed a lot in the past couple months as a potential treatment. It is not something out of left field, which, gives me some hope.

I have an in-law who worked that U of C call. It has not worked on everyone. The article makes it sound like it works on a pretty high percentage. I don't know. But I was told when it works it works fast. So fast they are discharging people within a couple of days and aren't always able to get good monitoring data. Working on dosages.

The existence of the Milken Institute proves that crime does pay and pay very well.

Or, let me take a Republican "Banghazi" approach...

Trump LIED, people DIED.

Bummer. Thought the HCQ + Zpack + Zinc was going to help folks, but guess not. Glad they figured this out quickly either way.

We still haven't figured it out. Need randomized trials to know for sure. But I feel pretty comfortable in saying if there is a benefit, it's likely to be relatively small, not a game changer.

John Ioannidis, Stanford U, has an interesting perspective on both the pandemic and medical research results in general. The paper on research results needs more digesting, as it is has a lot of research statistics and some modelling simulations
The U tube interview (study on the pandemic) is long. 1:12:00

Wikipedia entry John Ioannidis of Stanford

Stanford bio: John Ioannidis

Paper: Why Most Published Research Findings Are False

Presentation of a Study on the Pandemic

We discussed this on the non-political thread, but there are major sampling and analytic issues with the paper. The issues are covered here and, if you're able to get through a lot of highly technical statistical jargon, here.

Ioannidis, as others have pointed out, is a shit stirrer in the research field and, like many shit stirrers, is a hypocrite when it comes to the specificity of his own research. One of the authors also published an op-ed without disclosing that he was an author of the study and Ioannidis and Bhattacharya have been prominent sources on conservative articles and op-eds that question stay-at-home orders and advocate for re-opening the economy.

ETA:

Last edited:
Cured.

Thank you UofL !

Cured.

Thank you UofL !

You all buy this? Clearly a disgruntled employee of the Wuhan lab texted the Louisville scientists to tell them what spread formation COVID-19 is going to use next.

Back