• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

All metrics have limitations. BMI is actually a good and useful measure. It should not be dismissed, even at individual level, but should also be used appropriately. 25 is pretty arbitrary. 27-28 is where risk starts to increase for cardiovascular disease when other variables are corrected for (like I work out alot and am muscular). I state it with my patients that even if they are lean with a bmi of 28, that is still resistance their heart has to pump against.
A BMI of 26 is overweight, but doesn't seem to independently increase CV risk.
Visceral fat (central obesity) is the strongest predictor. If you want to do resistance training and maintain more muscle, while doing your best to minimize your cardiovascular risk based on what we know: keep your BMI less than 27 and keep your abdominal wall flat. That's not perfect, but it is pretty good and easy for anyone to keep track of on their own.

I believe healthy 64-year-olds, and healthy 54-year-olds, should be in line ahead of anyone under 40 whose "medical condition" is that their BMI is between 25-30

but, no system is perfect

correct. I am guessing every member of the WF football team has a BMI of at least 25.

scratch that - I am positive every member of the WF football team does. Nick Sciba is listed at 5'9", 188 - BMI 27.8, get your shot, Nick!

Nope. Jacquirii Roberson, 6-1, 182 = BMI 24.

vaccine eligibility by state, updated daily by @bhrenton

ExRZKVgWEAQjZaU

My take:

- anti-malarials are a joke / fools gold
- anti-virals *might* work - interested to see the Gilead data from China
- sounds like the virus is fairly conserved (i.e. doesn't rapidly mutate) so vaccine approach will work - question is whether they can develop / approve something in time. lot of damage will be done by Q1 next year.
- as with other things, Trump is a total fool and desperate to tout any wingbat potential therapy (see anti-malarials) which will (in the end) cause way more harm than good if rubes anchor on it for no reason
- the new head of the FDA (Hahn) is a yes man joke - he will do / approve anything that Trump says which is dangerous
- if you really want to stay informed follow the old head Scott Gottlieb. He has very sober analysis on the situation and good access to data / intel as he hasn't totally detonated Trump (he was a Trump appointee)
- to summarize, my view is that good antiviral data is the ONLY thing that will take us off the 100k+ death trajectory in US and millions globally (wait til this thing hits the 3rd world). but it's a 1 in 10 longshot IMO
- looking forward to antivaxxers avoiding the vaccine when it comes. ah, the joy of Darwinism at work....

Patting my own back on this one. Still amazing that we got way more fatalities and the 3rd world has been relatively unscathed

WV is one the most vaccinated states. Their gov is hugely anti-Trump on Covid.

So basically which states have a buncha rubes who don’t wanna get em

Since moving to TN a few years ago, I've been shocked at how rubey it is. There is an argument to be made that it is more red than Alabama.

Since moving to TN a few years ago, I've been shocked at how rubey it is. There is an argument to be made that it is more red than Alabama.

Well, Tennessee does have the country music capital, so I suspect that draws a few.

Far-Right Extremists Move From ‘Stop the Steal’ to Stop the Vaccine: Extremist organizations are now bashing the safety and efficacy of coronavirus vaccines in an effort to try to undermine the government.

Completely predictable, yet infuriating because a number of asshole Republican congresspersons will probably capitulate to the indecent impulse to “represent” the views of these wickedly ignorant constituents instead of helping in the needed public health and education efforts.

No doubt Trump himself is presently debating whether or not to join this ignoble opportunity.

... If the so-called Stop the Steal movement appeared to be chasing a lost cause once President Biden was inaugurated, its supporters among extremist organizations are now adopting a new agenda from the anti-vaccination campaign to try to undermine the government.

Bashing of the safety and efficacy of vaccines is occurring in chat rooms frequented by all manner of right-wing groups including the Proud Boys; the Boogaloo movement, a loose affiliation known for wanting to spark a second Civil War; and various paramilitary organizations.

These groups tend to portray vaccines as a symbol of excessive government control. “If less people get vaccinated then the system will have to use more aggressive force on the rest of us to make us get the shot,” read a recent post on the Telegram social media platform, in a channel linked to members of the Proud Boys charged in storming the Capitol.

The marked focus on vaccines is particularly striking on discussion channels populated by followers of QAnon, who had falsely prophesied that Donald J. Trump would continue as president while his political opponents were marched off to jail.

“They rode the shift in the national conversation away from Trump to what was happening with the massive ramp up in vaccines,” said Devin Burghart, the head of the Seattle-based Institute for Research and Education on Human Rights, which monitors far-right movements, referring to followers of QAnon. “It allowed them to pivot away from the failure of their previous prophecy to focus on something else.”

Apocalyptic warnings about the vaccine feed into the far-right narrative that the government cannot be trusted, the sentiment also at the root of the Jan. 6 Capitol riot. The more vaccine opponents succeed in preventing or at least delaying herd immunity, experts noted, the longer it will take for life to return to normal and that will further undermine faith in the government and its institutions...

... With their protests continuing, far-right groups deployed many of the same talking points as the vaccination opponents. Prominent voices in both the “Stop the Steal” and the anti-vaccination movements helped to organize scattered rallies on March 20 against vaccines, masks and social distancing in American cities including Portland, Ore., and Raleigh, N.C., as well as in Europe, Australia, Canada and other countries around the world.

In April, a conference with the tagline “Learn How to Fight Back for Your Health and Freedom,” is set to bring together Trump allies like Michael Flynn and Sidney Powell along with high-profile members of the anti-vaccination effort.

Maligning the coronavirus vaccines is obviously not limited to extremist groups tied to the Capitol riot. There is deep partisanship over the vaccines generally.

One third of Republicans surveyed in a CBS News poll said that they would avoid getting vaccinated — compared with 10 percent of Democrats — and another 20 percent of Republicans said they were unsure. Other polls found similar trends.

About 100 members of the House of Representatives, roughly one-quarter, had not been vaccinated as of mid-March, according to Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the House minority leader.

Across right wing-channels online, certain constant memes have emerged attacking the vaccine, like a cartoon suggesting that what started with mask mandates will end with concentration camps run by FEMA for those who refuse vaccinations....

these are the vaccines we're not giving enough credit to Donald Trump for personally developing and distributing to the states, right? all in record time thanks only to his accomplishments.

Oh yeah.

Reason is not strong among those yet clinging to the trash heap of modern US Republicanism.

TN is very rubey, especially outside of the big cities. sort of scary rubey, we used to travel to the lake and you would see Trump signs, banners or what-have-you everywhere.

now Nashville is rube-bachelor/bachelorette party central it has infested downtown. not worth going there...sad really

TN is very rubey, especially outside of the big cities. sort of scary rubey, we used to travel to the lake and you would see Trump signs, banners or what-have-you everywhere.

now Nashville is rube-bachelor/bachelorette party central it has infested downtown. not worth going there...sad really

What state isn’t rubey outside the big cities nowadays?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...ust-15-minutes-determine-variant-3-hours.html

"Scientists say they have created a new, portable test that can detect coronavirus in just minutes and even identify if it is a highly infectious variant.

Developed by the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, in La Jolla, California, the test is called NIRVANA (nanopore sequencing of isothermal rapid viral amplification for near real-time analysis).

The laptop-sized machine can diagnose COVID-19 in 15 minutes and, at the same time, test for other viruses with similar symptoms like influenza."

This may have been posted elsewhere, but I like thinking about DG3 and Marjorie doing these ridiculous pull ups together and talking about how alike they are in CrossFit douchiness and politics and then partner swapping.

This may have been posted elsewhere, but I like thinking about DG3 and Marjorie doing these ridiculous pull ups together and talking about how alike they are in CrossFit douchiness and politics and then partner swapping.

My back hurts just watching that.

Back