• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

We discussed this on the non-political thread, but there are major sampling and analytic issues with the paper. The issues are covered here and, if you're able to get through a lot of highly technical statistical jargon, here.

Ioannidis, as others have pointed out, is a shit stirrer in the research field and, like many shit stirrers, is a hypocrite when it comes to the specificity of his own research. One of the authors also published an op-ed without disclosing that he was an author of the study and Ioannidis and Bhattacharya have been prominent sources on conservative articles and op-eds that question stay-at-home orders and advocate for re-opening the economy.

ETA:

Thanks. Too much junk out there.

I can't see any difference in Aptamers than the standard use of a monoclonal antibody especially with aptamers having even less binding affinity and strength. Id put it in the pile of press release with little substance.

I have an in-law who worked that U of C call. It has not worked on everyone. The article makes it sound like it works on a pretty high percentage. I don't know. But I was told when it works it works fast. So fast they are discharging people within a couple of days and aren't always able to get good monitoring data. Working on dosages.

More anecdotal evidence. The hospital that treated patient 1 in Washington state gave him this drug as his condition deteriorated. He improved quickly and was discharged within days of taking it. Hospital has participated in the Gilead trial ongoing it sounds like and stresses while all the data has to be assembled their anecdotal experiences say it shows promise.

More anecdotal evidence. The hospital that treated patient 1 in Washington state gave him this drug as his condition deteriorated. He improved quickly and was discharged within days of taking it. Hospital has participated in the Gilead trial ongoing it sounds like and stresses while all the data has to be assembled their anecdotal experiences say it shows promise.

How much does it cost?

I can't see any difference in Aptamers than the standard use of a monoclonal antibody especially with aptamers having even less binding affinity and strength. Id put it in the pile of press release with little substance.

Do you think the USC study is any better? It seems like there is less ulterior motive among the authors, even if it seems to me to have a lot of the same selection bias issues as the Stanford one.

You all buy this? Clearly a disgruntled employee of the Wuhan lab texted the Louisville scientists to tell them what spread formation COVID-19 is going to use next.

Geez, I was under the impression that Louisville lost all its accreditations after the Pitino firing.

:thumbsup:

NY Study says 90% of those going on Vents end up dying

Yes, I was planning on posting this. It's from a published study in JAMA of the first 5700 patients admitted with COVID in NYC. There are only outcomes at this point for about 2600 of those in the study, but for those that went on a vent and now have an outcome (2000 do not yet have an outcome), 88% died.

NY Study says 90% of those going on Vents end up dying

Rafi's point is important. The media is going to run with this but it's not the complete picture. Among patients older than 65 who went on a vent, 5 were discharged alive, 175 died, and 378 are still in the hospital. So people are reporting that 97.2% chance of dying if you are over 65 and on a vent. But it really depends on what happens to those other patients still in the hospital. I mean it's going to be *terrible* no matter what. But if half of those patients still in the hospital survive, that would bring the mortality rate down to 65%.

Its another horribly premature thing to put out. I get the need for data but incomplete data is worse than no data at all. Its like taking a Kaplan-Meir curve and just picking a random endpoint and assigning groups based off outcomes instead of pre-assigned groups and determining outcome.

Its another horribly premature thing to put out. I get the need for data but incomplete data is worse than no data at all. Its like taking a Kaplan-Meir curve and just picking a random endpoint and assigning groups based off outcomes instead of pre-assigned groups and determining outcome.

This. There is plenty of blame to go around. Journalists, scientists, institutions. Whatever. But all sides need to stop publishing pieces of incomplete studies. It's not helpful at all.

I agree to some extent, but the main goal of the study was to describe the characteristics of those requiring admission for COVID (age, sex, race, comorbidities, etc), which the study did well.

It is especially frustrating when there are appropriate ways to analyze the data when the ultimate fates of some of the samples are unknown. Why not do a logistic exposure analysis or a daily survival probability on a vent versus not in a vent?

The daily survivor probability would probably provide the most useful information. My guess it would look something like a bell curve, sick enough to be put on a vent leads to a high chance of early death even on the vent, survive the initial weeks your odds go up of a positive outcome, I.e all the people with outcome unknown, stay on the vent for x amount of weeks head back down to a poorer outcome.

Daily survival probability for injecting Clorox into the lungs?

Daily survival probability for injecting Clorox into the lungs?

You’re just trying to cast doubt on the method so you can keep the wonder treatment from trump supporters.

Gotta love the NYT bosiding drinking bleach

That language appears to be in the tweet only, not the article.

Anyone need a job writing tweets for the NYT?

Back