• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

FDA needs to go ahead and give full authorization to the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines. There has got to be more data now on those vaccines than any vaccine that has ever been given full approval, right?

Would it matter? MAGA anti-vaxxers aren’t going to be like “The FDA said it’s OK? That’s great! I’ll get it tomorrow! Yeah science!”

Would it matter? MAGA anti-vaxxers aren’t going to be like “The FDA said it’s OK? That’s great! I’ll get it tomorrow! Yeah science!”

Not everybody who has put off the vaccine is a MAGA anti-vaxxer. I think it would make a measurable difference in the vaccination rates (along with employers being able to then mandate it, which many won’t do until it’s fully approved)

Brad is so invested in his narrative that he would clearly support a Hitler type authoritarian strongman on the right. When long time staunch conservatives finally say enough is enough he brands them as rinos. So married to the propaganda.

I can tell you that many of those folks having to care for sick and dying unvaccinated Covid-19 patients are struggling to be sympathetic.

Of course, sadly, even some of them have chosen to delay vaccination.

Agree on both points. As a physician, I treat all folks no matter the situation. However, it's hard to have much sympathy for people that are experiencing the natural consequences of their decisions.

And you'd be shocked to know that in the office I work in, which is about 20 folks, myself and our PA are the only people vaccinated. Our boss is a "free-thinking" "patriot" who has told them they'd get ALS and be infertile if they got the vaccine. So no one else wants to take it. Even a bit more shocking is we decided a month or so ago that we would stop wearing masks. And I work in a very high exposure specialty (ear, nose, throat) I guess no one is concerned about the fact that none of them are vaccinated. Nothing quite like creating a safe space for patients to be cared for, huh? Crazy

Amazing how these free thinking people just parrot what they see on social media.

BacktoBack, that’s horrible. Medical professionals who practice this nonsense have no excuse.

Just saw an email from our public health folks recommending the same.

Fewer than 1% of vaccinated people contracting COVID means somebody is going to get it out of every 100+ people you know.

I've seen that 99% of people getting Covid are unvaccinated (in LA County in that one tweet), but haven't seen that 1% of vaccinated people are testing positive for COVID

Agree on both points. As a physician, I treat all folks no matter the situation. However, it's hard to have much sympathy for people that are experiencing the natural consequences of their decisions.

And you'd be shocked to know that in the office I work in, which is about 20 folks, myself and our PA are the only people vaccinated. Our boss is a "free-thinking" "patriot" who has told them they'd get ALS and be infertile if they got the vaccine. So no one else wants to take it. Even a bit more shocking is we decided a month or so ago that we would stop wearing masks. And I work in a very high exposure specialty (ear, nose, throat) I guess no one is concerned about the fact that none of them are vaccinated. Nothing quite like creating a safe space for patients to be cared for, huh? Crazy
Is your boss a physician? Dude, get out of that practice.

I've seen that 99% of people getting Covid are unvaccinated (in LA County in that one tweet), but haven't seen that 1% of vaccinated people are testing positive for COVID

There are plenty of reports. Just Google them.

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Your Google machine may be broken.

———-

Hospitalized or fatal COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC as of July 12, 2021
As of July 12, 2021, more than 159 million people in the United States had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

During the same time, CDC received reports from 48 U.S. states and territories of 5,492 patients with COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infection who were hospitalized or died.
———-

That’s a likely undercount and only hospitalization or died but fewer than 1% is a pretty safe bet.

Also, since we know how many people have been vaccinated and what percent of COVID cases are vaccinated and unvaccinated, it doesn’t take much math to figure out

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

States have more detailed information. Here is a report from WA. Under 3000 breakthrough cases.

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Do...-tables/420-339-VaccineBreakthroughReport.pdf

Over 60% of 12+ year olds are fully vaccinated.

https://www.seattlemet.com/health-a...-received-a-coronavirus-vaccine-in-washington

Last edited:
Is your boss a physician? Dude, get out of that practice.

I had the exact same thoughts. Glad you are getting out. That’s insane. It’s amazing what paying taxes will do to ones thought processes.

Pfizer will be getting expedited review of their Covid Vaccine for full approval. FDA should finish approval process in about 2 months.

Not everybody who has put off the vaccine is a MAGA anti-vaxxer. I think it would make a measurable difference in the vaccination rates (along with employers being able to then mandate it, which many won’t do until it’s fully approved)

yeah, I was shocked. My buddy's GF hasn't been vaxxed yet (or just got vaxxed today) and he was annoyed cause it was just laziness. They both are fairly strong leftists.

That being said, I'm rather annoyed that a month later LA is going back with the mask mandate. Did we really not expect an uptick after 4th of July? If it's really 99.8% unvaxxed people in the hospital, people have made their choices. How long are we expected to have to invonvenience ourselves for these idiots?

New article on the surge in covid cases in Arkansas, along with interviews with frustrated health officials who say they've tried everything to get more people to take the vaccine, and interviews with people who refused to get the vaccine and ended up in the hospital terrified and struggling to breathe. It would appear that right-wing media and Trump have done their jobs in convincing their base that vaccinations are dangerous and/or aren't necessary. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

"When the boat factory in this leafy Ozark Mountains city offered free coronavirus vaccinations this spring, Susan Johnson, 62, a receptionist there, declined the offer, figuring she was protected as long as she never left her house without a mask. Linda Marion, 68, a widow with chronic pulmonary disease, worried that a vaccination might actually trigger COVID-19 and kill her. Barbara Billigmeier, 74, an avid golfer who retired here from California, believed she did not need it because “I never get sick.” This month, all three were patients on 2 West, an overflow ward that is now largely devoted to treating COVID-19 at Baxter Regional Medical Center, the largest hospital in north-central Arkansas. Billigmeier said the scariest part was that “you can’t breathe.” For 10 days, Johnson had relied on supplemental oxygen being fed to her lungs through nasal tubes.

Marion said that at one point, she felt so sick and frightened that she wanted to give up. “It was just terrible,” she said. “I felt like I couldn’t take it.” Yet despite their ordeals, none of them changed their minds about getting vaccinated. “It’s just too new,” Billigmeier said. “It is like an experiment.”

While much of the nation tiptoes toward normalcy, the coronavirus is again swamping hospitals in places like Mountain Home, a city of fewer than 13,000 people not far from the Missouri border. In Baxter County, where the hospital is, fewer than one-third of residents are fully vaccinated — below both the state and the national averages. Even fewer people are protected in surrounding counties that the hospital serves. “It’s absolutely flooded,” said Dr. Rebecca Martin, a pulmonologist, as she made the rounds of 2 West one morning last week. In the first half of June, the hospital averaged only one or two COVID-19 patients a day. On Thursday, 22 of the unit’s 32 beds were filled with coronavirus patients. Five more were in intensive care. In a single week, the number of COVID-19 patients had jumped by one-third.

“Boy, we’ve tried just about everything we can think of,” a retired National Guard colonel, Robert Ator, who runs the state’s vaccination effort, said in an interview. For about 1 in 3 residents, he said, “I don’t think there’s a thing in the world we could do to get them to get vaccinated.” The Biden administration has pledged to help stem outbreaks by supplying COVID-19 tests and treatments, promoting vaccines with advertising campaigns and sending community health workers door to door to try to persuade the hesitant.

But not all those tactics are welcome. Romero said Arkansas would happily accept more monoclonal antibody therapies, a COVID-19 treatment often used in outpatient settings. But Ator, the vaccine coordinator, said door-knocking “would probably do more harm than good,” given residents’ suspicions of federal intentions. Even health care workers have balked. Statewide, only about 40% are vaccinated, Romero said. In April, the [GOP-controlled] state Legislature added yet another roadblock, making it essentially illegal for any state or local entity, including public hospitals, to require coronavirus vaccination as a condition of education or employment until two years after the Food and Drug Administration fully licenses a shot. That almost certainly means no such requirements can be issued until late in 2023."

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/undervaccinated-swaths-arkansas-covid-19-140520154.html

It’s hard to imagine being so worthless and insecure that learning something and changing your mind is more harmful to your ego than, like, a near death experience. These are deeply unhappy people.

It’s hard to imagine being so worthless and insecure that learning something and changing your mind is more harmful to your ego than, like, a near death experience. These are deeply unhappy people.

Is this irony?

Who gives a fuck, if people don't want to get vaccinated that is their choice. Fuck em' lets move on.

Back