• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

I've read that 1 in 5 new covid cases in the nation are in Florida alone - the same state where the new GOP hero DeSantis has bragged about his great leadership during the pandemic, and right-wing media has fallen in love with him for pretty much doing the opposite of what the CDC, Fauci, and other experts recommended.

Careful. The Colonel will be along shortly to remind us how much we loved Andrew Cuomo last year. And he's got the recei...what's that? He doesn't? Oh.

Still think we can do a better job with outreach, especially to disadvantaged communities that have historically had very low trust of the medical community. Also tons of people have jobs where they have no protected time away to get the vaccine or if they get side effects.

But then there are people like, you know, my mom, who has a real life medical doctor as a son but would rather get the info from bret weinstein's podcast.

read an article today with a survey of like 1,500 people who aren't getting the vaccine and only like 4% of the people responded it was because of a job with no way to get away, or didn't have access. It's all just people who don't trust vaccines/ think the vaccine is more dangerous than covid.

Last edited:
I've read that 1 in 5 new covid cases in the nation are in Florida alone - the same state where the new GOP hero DeSantis has bragged about his great leadership during the pandemic, and right-wing media has fallen in love with him for pretty much doing the opposite of what the CDC, Fauci, and other experts recommended.

Word from public health folks in Florida is that the Lightning Stanley Cup run was a series of super spreader events. Wouldn't be surprised to see the same in Arizona and Wisconsin due to the NBA playoffs.

read an article today with a survey of like 1,500 people who aren't getting the vaccine and only like 4% of the people responded it was because of a job with no way to get away, or didn't have access. It's all just people who don't trust vaccines/ think the vaccine is more dangerous than covid.

Heard from friend that a friend of his who follows right-wing media for his research that Fox News has flipped a switch on vaccines. Said that even Tucker said "the vaccine has potentially profound benefits." I guess the stock market has spoken.

Heard from friend that a friend of his who follows right-wing media for his research that Fox News has flipped a switch on vaccines. Said that even Tucker said "the vaccine has potentially profound benefits." I guess the stock market has spoken.

Yep. It's amazing at all of the GOPers who are suddenly changing their tune on getting the vaccine. I also wonder if the fear of a major covid surge in the fall that would highlight the GOP base's resistance to getting vaccines, and the negative or downright nutty statements by Trump and other GOP pols and talking heads and media types on vaccinations and downplaying mask wearing and other aspects of the pandemic, is behind much of this.

My wife's Grandfather died this morning from COVID in Florida. He had fallen down the Facebook / Youtube / Fox News anti-vax worm hole and refused to get vaccinated or wear masks. He was 85 and likely to die soonish without covid, but all the misinformation and stubbornness just warped his brain, and he wouldn't listen to reason from any family member to get vaccinated.

My wife's Grandfather died this morning from COVID in Florida. He had fallen down the Facebook / Youtube / Fox News anti-vax worm hole and refused to get vaccinated or wear masks. He was 85 and likely to die soonish without covid, but all the misinformation and stubbornness just warped his brain, and he wouldn't listen to reason from any family member to get vaccinated.

My condolences on your needless loss.

Misinformation is a terrible thing. In this case, it cost your grandfather his life.

That’s a good read.

US life expectancy fell by 1.5 years, mostly attributable to COVID-19.

Careful. The Colonel will be along shortly to remind us how much we loved Andrew Cuomo last year. And he's got the recei...what's that? He doesn't? Oh.

Apologies for the crappy formatting but see below for a quick sample from a Coronavirus thread that was locked last year.

And the "Cuomo should be the Dem nominee for president" comments take the cake:

DeacMan on 3/15/20:
Andrew Cuomo just delivered a great press conference - very direct about what is about to happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj8UKPDziss

PhDeac on 3/22/20:
Shorty, is the above video an example of what they don’t like that Cuomo is doing? He’s presenting scenarios based on the data and working to combat them. What do they think he should be doing instead?

Les Grossman on 3/24/20:
Need to somehow replace these old bastards with Cuomo

Newenglanddeac on 3/26/20:
Thank god for Governors like Cuomo, Newsom and Baker during this time.

Hell thank god for all Governors showing some semblance of leadership.

Wakeforest22890 on 3/27/20:
Cuomo so damn good at this. He’s giving Jimmy V speeches while Donald gives a toddler’s monologue to his stuffed animals.

TownieDeac on 3/27/20:
And as I recall there was a poster several pages back calling to nominate Cuomo now

HoosierDeac on 4/16/20:
Cuomo shows how to do a presser- well-prepared with slides and data, measured and calm

I stand corrected, but I will note all your examples are from early on. The tide changed on him nationally pretty quickly.

I stand corrected, but I will note all your examples are from early on. The tide changed on him nationally pretty quickly.

I was going to ask, how many of these posters still supported Cuomo after the truth about him came out? Probably very few, if any. I also wonder how many corrupt, crooked, hypocritical, or scandal-ridden GOP politicians Angus has called out over the years? Given his obsession with sending "gotchas!" to the dreaded Tunnels Left, probably very few, if any.

Brutally honest article about what doctors are seeing in Alabama with the recent surge in covid cases with unvaccinated patients. Love that Tuberville is the one tweeting this. The GOP must really be worried that this surge is going to be blamed on them for downplaying vaccinations, wearing masks, and other precautions during the pandemic.

"Dr. Brytney Cobia said Monday that all but one of her COVID patients in Alabama did not receive the vaccine. The vaccinated patient, she said, just needed a little oxygen and is expected to fully recover. Some of the others are dying. “I’m admitting young healthy people to the hospital with very serious COVID infections,” wrote Cobia, a hospitalist at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, in an emotional Facebook post Sunday. “One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late.”

“A few days later when I call time of death,” continued Cobia on Facebook, “I hug their family members and I tell them the best way to honor their loved one is to go get vaccinated and encourage everyone they know to do the same.” “They cry. And they tell me they didn’t know. They thought it was a hoax. They thought it was political. They thought because they had a certain blood type or a certain skin color they wouldn’t get as sick. They thought it was ‘just the flu’. But they were wrong. And they wish they could go back. But they can’t. So they thank me and they go get the vaccine. And I go back to my office, write their death note, and say a small prayer that this loss will save more lives.”

Yep. It's amazing at all of the GOPers who are suddenly changing their tune on getting the vaccine. I also wonder if the fear of a major covid surge in the fall that would highlight the GOP base's resistance to getting vaccines, and the negative or downright nutty statements by Trump and other GOP pols and talking heads and media types on vaccinations and downplaying mask wearing and other aspects of the pandemic, is behind much of this.

It's pretty hard to win the politics of death. I mean once it becomes known that like 99.5% of people dying aren't being vaccinated, and people who are vaccinated aren't dying, it becomes fairly hard to spin. Also, you'd hope people would have some sort of conscience.

It's pretty hard to win the politics of death. I mean once it becomes known that like 99.5% of people dying aren't being vaccinated, and people who are vaccinated aren't dying, it becomes fairly hard to spin. Also, you'd hope people would have some sort of conscience.

All true, and better late than never I suppose, but if they had shown some conscience and good sense when the pandemic first started and for months afterwards and encouraged people to take covid seriously and not politicize wearing masks, and then encouraged everyone getting the vaccine instead of indulging in conspiracy theories and unfounded fears and politicizing the vaccine as well, then maybe they wouldn't be panicking now about a new surge.

These spineless narcissists will get away with their recklessness.

It would be good if the SEC Football and other sports coaches followed the lead of SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. He wasn't quite this blunt, but the message was pretty much get vaccinated or GTFO as a player, coach or fan. Covid will not be an acceptable excuse for teams not having enough players.

Back