• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Ugh. My oldest starts kindergarten next month. Was hoping things would be better this fall.

Really crossing my fingers for 5-11 vax eligibility soon. I’m in meck though, thinking they’ll follow cdc

charlotte schools going with mandatory masks.

Winston as well.

As a teacher I'm all for it. Not only for the obvious public health benefits, but teaching our children to be unselfish and to sacrifice for their classmates and community is an invaluable teaching experience. We had it last year, but it was very scattershot, since classroom attendance was optional. Its going to be a pain in the ass on my end, but hopefully these kids will grow up appreciating collective action and actually give a fuck about their neighbors.

If Boomers had to wear masks for a couple of years, we might live in a much better world.

…teaching our children to be unselfish and to sacrifice for their classmates and community is an invaluable teaching experience.

Careful there comrade…sounds dangerous!

Winston as well.

As a teacher I'm all for it. Not only for the obvious public health benefits, but teaching our children to be unselfish and to sacrifice for their classmates and community is an invaluable teaching experience. We had it last year, but it was very scattershot, since classroom attendance was optional. Its going to be a pain in the ass on my end, but hopefully these kids will grow up appreciating collective action and actually give a fuck about their neighbors.

If Boomers had to wear masks for a couple of years, we might live in a much better world.

Guilford County/Greensboro is also requiring mandatory masking through at least first quarter. My guess is that nearly every large urban county in the state will require mandatory masking, while many of the rural counties will probably go optional. If we had a GOP governor there's not much doubt that the legislature (aka Phil Berger) would push to make masking optional in every county, but with Cooper as governor that won't happen.

Guilford County/Greensboro is also requiring mandatory masking through at least first quarter. My guess is that nearly every large urban county in the state will require mandatory masking, while many of the rural counties will probably go optional. If we had a GOP governor there's not much doubt that the legislature (aka Phil Berger) would push to make masking optional in every county, but with Cooper as governor that won't happen.

Yeah usually the areas with more educated voters make smarter decisions

"If Boomers had to wear masks for a couple of years, we might live in a much better world."

Up yours on behalf of every Boomer I know who has been vaccinated (and very unselfish) for well over 6 months now.
As a Teacher you might choose to work more on your student's parents (30yr.-55yr.) who I suspect have the most vaccine hesitancy. .

"If Boomers had to wear masks for a couple of years, we might live in a much better world."

Up yours on behalf of every Boomer I know who has been vaccinated (and very unselfish) for well over 6 months now.
As a Teacher you might choose to work more on your student's parents (30yr.-55yr.) who I suspect have the most vaccine hesitancy. .

I agree with some of this, but the Boomers I know were vaccinated to protect themselves, so it wasn't really an unselfish move. I've got no problem at all with them protecting themselves, it's the smart thing to do, but I don't think most Boomers did it to protect others.

You missed my point. I was raised in the Reagan/Boomer dominated era of the 80’s and 90’s and and the cultural zeitgeist was “Get money, fuck everything else”.

I’m glad you’re all getting vaccinated, my mother included, but let’s not pretend it’s for anyone besides yourself.

No pretend. My point is they got vaccinated. In droves, no matter who it was “for”.
I’m sure we agree the act itself is good for everyone.
I call bullshit if we are saying everyone else (but boomers) got vaccinated for everyone else and not themselves.

He was talking about masking up. You’re talking about vaccines.

I agree with some of this, but the Boomers I know were vaccinated to protect themselves, so it wasn't really an unselfish move. I've got no problem at all with them protecting themselves, it's the smart thing to do, but I don't think most Boomers did it to protect others.

He was talking about masks. You countered by talking about vaccines.

Florida Gov. DeSantis issues executive order forbidding any school district in the state from making masking mandatory, says he is leaving it up to parents to decide whether their kids should wear a mask. He also jokes that small children like his own kids "wouldn't wear them correctly for long anyway" and decries our "Faucian dystopia" of lockdowns and mandatory vaccinations and masking. School districts that refuse to comply with his order could face the state withholding their funds, or even legal action.

Link: https://news.yahoo.com/florida-gov-desantis-signs-executive-004743901.html

Last edited:
Back