• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

I read a story a week or two ago that it was really a million tiny bloodclots that end up in your lungs and obstruct the breathing

There was also speculation months ago that certain blood types are affected and that’s why the seeming random results of the virus

You would think that there would be enough information out there now, based upon the number of cases in the US, to figure out whether blood type matters.

You would think that there would be enough information out there now, based upon the number of cases in the US, to figure out whether blood type matters.

It's not very common to know a patient's blood type. That info is only needed if they need a transfusion.

I don’t even know my own blood type.

Blood type relationship is discussed here: https://www.livescience.com/why-covid-19-coronavirus-deadly-for-some-people.html

"In a more recent study of blood type and COVID-19, published online April 11 to medRxiv, scientists looked at 1,559 people tested for SARS-CoV-2 at New York Presbyterian hospital; of those, 682 tested positive. Individuals with A blood types (A-positive and A-negative) were 33% more likely to test positive than other blood types and both O-negative and O-positive blood types were less likely to test positive than other blood groups. (There's a 95% chance that the increase in risk ranges from 7% to 67% more likely.) Though only 68 individuals with an AB blood type were included, the results showed this group was also less likely than others to test positive for COVID-19."

Here is an article about the Walter Reed Army Institute for Research (WRAIR) and the work they are doing on developing Coronavirus vaccine. Seems like an interesting approach.

WRAIR vaccine development

They will have you on a 60 day call cycle.

I'm O+. I traveled outside the country had to not give for a year. In that time I think they emailed me every couple of days and called a lot. There was no way for me to flag in their system that I was temporarily ineligible. They were relentless.
Finally was able to donate last week and it's been mercifully quiet.

“Moderna vaccine shows promising early results in human safety tests”. Will be in Stage 3 trials by July.

Let’s hope they have maybe unlocked a key to a cure.

Looks promising, would need to see neutralizing antibody data because overall making antibodies isn't really the problem. Will be addressed at the proper level during the phase 2 and 3 trials, the problem for those stages is there is no expediting them. To make the correct statistical conclusion of protection those will need to run for months because they aren't going to be direct challenges (No longer possible with ethical considerations) so timescale is still early 2021, though I wouldn't be surprised if things aren't just half-assed for speed.

I wonder how much the FDA will fast track this vaccine if it does show positive results in phase 2 and 3 trials. I still don't think it is realistic to think we have a mass-produced vaccine by years end.

Back