Page 7 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 893

Thread: Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

  1. #121
    The Pumpfaker greekdeac2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,060
    I wonder how much the FDA will fast track this vaccine if it does show positive results in phase 2 and 3 trials. I still don't think it is realistic to think we have a mass-produced vaccine by years end.

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by greekdeac2011 View Post
    I wonder how much the FDA will fast track this vaccine if it does show positive results in phase 2 and 3 trials. I still don't think it is realistic to think we have a mass-produced vaccine by years end.
    No worries, It's going to disappear right after the November election.
    Birds are real.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    No worries, It's going to disappear right after the November election.
    Or if they do find a vaccine ahead of time, I can only hear the narrative coming out of the Trump camp

    "Democrats will setup health tents and only give the vaccine to people who are registered as Democrats.... They will inject poison into anyone who is voting for Trump"/

  4. #124
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,786
    How are Democrats going to do that while only voting by mail?

  5. #125
    With Trumpublicans running the show, all sides will struggle to trust the gubímint when they say the vaccine is safe and effective.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  6. #126
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Gossett Jr View Post
    Looks promising, would need to see neutralizing antibody data because overall making antibodies isn't really the problem. Will be addressed at the proper level during the phase 2 and 3 trials, the problem for those stages is there is no expediting them. To make the correct statistical conclusion of protection those will need to run for months because they aren't going to be direct challenges (No longer possible with ethical considerations) so timescale is still early 2021, though I wouldn't be surprised if things aren't just half-assed for speed.
    Supposedly mass production of the vaccine will be concurrent with the phase 2 and 3 trials. The goal is to have hundreds of million doses available when FDA approves the vaccine.

  7. #127
    To be more specific, Iím worried weíre going to over rush the process and allow political and financial and short term interests to Trump safety, effectiveness, public health and adequately vetted/reviewed ones.


    I hope this is not so.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    How are Democrats going to do that while only voting by mail?
    Remember, each democrat votes multiple times in the same election...both in person and by mail. Remember those historic levels of voter fraud for obama?

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    To be more specific, Iím worried weíre going to over rush the process and allow political and financial and short term interests to Trump safety, effectiveness, public health and adequately vetted/reviewed ones.


    I hope this is not so.
    The FDA has to get this right, both on the safety and effectiveness fronts. There are enough anti-vaxxers just waiting to pounce if there are issues with the Covid-19 vaccine.

    FDA staff has some good people. The question is whether or not they will be allowed to evaluate based on science and not be pushed by political considerations.

  10. #130
    There are lot of ridiculously smart and creative people in the world, and when those people get focused on one issue, like generating a vaccine for COVID 19 and finding a way to mass produce it, amazing what can be done when people work together. This is like no other vaccine creation and trial period in history; as a result, normal practice of years to create, test and approve a vaccine are not applicable. So, nothing would surprise me, including the creation of a mass produced and widely available vaccine by the end of the year.

  11. #131
    I'm repeating this link about the military development of a vaccine candidate.

    https://news.yahoo.com/another-one-w...090045135.html

    The use of a common human protein, ferritin, should minimize unwanted reactions. Also the 24 spots available on the molecule should allow a vaccine built this way to be able to be easily modified in case of mutations.

    I hope the military got a strong wake up call with the USS Roosevelt and will fund this through all phases of development. The military could continue development even if a commercial company gets to market first.

    $100 million is small change in weapons development. The same could go a long way to keeping the people healthy.

  12. #132
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    I'm repeating this link about the military development of a vaccine candidate.

    https://news.yahoo.com/another-one-w...090045135.html

    The use of a common human protein, ferritin, should minimize unwanted reactions. Also the 24 spots available on the molecule should allow a vaccine built this way to be able to be easily modified in case of mutations.

    I hope the military got a strong wake up call with the USS Roosevelt and will fund this through all phases of development. The military could continue development even if a commercial company gets to market first.

    $100 million is small change in weapons development. The same could go a long way to keeping the people healthy.
    Given that the 21st Century battlefield is almost certainly biological and technological, it would actually be money spent to keep Americans safe rather than just pork barrel airplanes to go pew pew pew.

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    Given that the 21st Century battlefield is almost certainly biological and technological, it would actually be money spent to keep Americans safe rather than just pork barrel airplanes to go pew pew pew.
    The combat military officers may not know much about biology, but they definitely know that well functioning troops are an asset and sick soldiers, sailors and airmen are liabilities. The high incidence of disease on the USS Roosevelt may well have been an additional driver. A major fighting element was (and is) out of commission because of a disease. The military will work very hard to prevent that from happening again.

    The military already has a very aggressive stance toward vaccinating against anything and everything that has a vaccine. They will be more aggressive in the development of a vaccine independent of any commercial effort. The WRAIR effort is developing a vaccine using ferritin protein as the carrier for just the infective "spike" of the coronavirus.There are two notable advantages to the vaccine candidate being developed at WRAIR:

    First, the ferritin protein is common to all human beings. Indeed, some type of ferritin is found in most living organisms. Ferritin is found all over the body. Thus, it would be a good carrier to get the Covid-19 antigen to any and all parts of the body. This might be helpful in combating some of the non-respiratory pathology from this virus.

    Second, the complete ferritin protein is assembled from 24 subunits. In theory, each of these sub-units could carry a different genetic variant of the Corona virus spike. Also, 24 challenge spikes may elicit a greater and/or more rapid reaction from the body's immune system. 24 "invaders" may get more notice by the immune system than just one or two.

    ETA:

    $75 or $100 million is small change in military systems development. But it is big bucks in medical research.
    Last edited by Deaconblue; 05-19-2020 at 12:48 PM.

  14. #134
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    119,786
    Imagine if we spend more defense small change on medical research. We could actually save lives.

  15. #135
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,763
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Imagine if we spend more defense small change on medical research. We could actually save lives.
    And protect Americans from disease. You know, National Defense.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    First, the ferritin protein is common to all human beings. Indeed, some type of ferritin is found in most living organisms. Ferritin is found all over the body. Thus, it would be a good carrier to get the Covid-19 antigen to any and all parts of the body. This might be helpful in combating some of the non-respiratory pathology from this virus.

    Second, the complete ferritin protein is assembled from 24 subunits. In theory, each of these sub-units could carry a different genetic variant of the Corona virus spike. Also, 24 challenge spikes may elicit a greater and/or more rapid reaction from the body's immune system. 24 "invaders" may get more notice by the immune system than just one or two.
    Two points about these statements. The first is ferritin being found through out the body has no real benefit for the development of an immune response to an infection. The antigen will be seen, the antigen will be taken up and will be trafficked to a lymphnode/ lymphoid organ where the necessary antigen presentation, help, and replication will be made to generate B-cells and Plasma cells which will pump out antibodies, these cells will follow chemokines to sites of ongoing infection throughout the body. The only places where it would have difficulty distributing to would be immune privileged sites and through the blood/brain barrier. This is the reason why you can give a vaccine for any type of disease through the skin even though the skin isnt infected. The real benefit would be that ferritin being naturally occurring would mean no immune response to the carrier so less chance of adverse reaction.

    Second more antigen isn't better unless the antigen is going to produce an antibody that is neutralizing. In fact more antibody production to non-neutralizing antigens is worse than if they werent included at all. The one advantage would be more of the antigen that generates a neutralizing effect, but only in so far that the initial dosage could be reduce which leads to less adverse reactions. The biggest as mentioned would be variant, but seeing so far there doesn't appear to be variation so hopefully not seasonal changes but never know until more time passes.

  17. #137
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Imagine if we spend more defense small change on medical research. We could actually save lives.

    And public health.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

  18. #138

  19. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy2016 View Post
    That's interesting, because the initial thought was that ACE inhibitors could increase the severity of infection. Based on the numbers in that article, plus the biologic plausibility, it is worth investigating.

  20. #140
    Washington Post article on blood vessel inflammation and micro clot formation in lungs of people with Covid-19. This may explain why blood thinners are helpful in some patients.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...6df_story.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •