Page 8 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Another large study that says chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are harmful, not helpful in treating Covid-19. It appears this is true whether or not either one was combined with antibiotics such as azithromycin or clarithromycin. it is not a randomized study, but rather a retrospective study of patients and outcomes.

Washington Post story

Lancet Report of study

Shocking.
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deaconblue View Post
    Another large study that says chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are harmful, not helpful in treating Covid-19. It appears this is true whether or not either one was combined with antibiotics such as azithromycin or clarithromycin. it is not a randomized study, but rather a retrospective study of patients and outcomes.

Washington Post story

Lancet Report of study
    For some reason, it still feels like it should be a cure.
    Birds are real.

Oxford U and AstraZeneca are worried Britain will not have enough cases of Covid-19 later this summer to test their vaccine.

Story from Business Insider

ETA to put "not" into the sentence.
    Last edited by Deaconblue; 05-25-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Primary OGB Benefactor
    You left out a word.

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
    You left out a word.
    Fixed it. Thanks.

Oxford U and AstraZeneca are worried Britain will not have enough cases of Covid-19 later this summer to test their vaccine.

Story from Business Insider

ETA to put "not" into the sentence.
    If we could only find another possible place to test this out... where cases aren't dropping...

Quote Originally Posted by DeacOnCapeCod View Post
    If we could only find another possible place to test this out... where cases aren't dropping...

The article mentions the possibility of having to chase the virus around the world.

Report in Washington Post about hydroxychloroquine not working as a preventative for Covid 19. Placebo controlled study published in New England Journal of Medicine.

Wash Post Article

ETA to add link to NEJM

NEJM Study Report
    Last edited by Deaconblue; 06-04-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Washington Post story

Lancet Report of study
    Study retracted by authors because they can't verify information.

Washington Post article on Retraction

Lancet Retraction
    Last edited by Deaconblue; 06-04-2020 at 08:08 PM.

FDA is removing emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine as Covid19 treatment..

Link to Wash Post article

Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug

Trial not yet published, for seriously ill.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnorEl View Post
    Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug

Trial not yet published, for seriously ill.
    Birds are real.

Part of this effort...

Pretty sure it will be published.

Yep, medicine by press release is suboptimal.

But this result seems plausible. Weíll see.

THE quintessential dwarf dartsndeacs's Avatar
    per my cousin:

"british study was with dexamethasone. It's a steroid. Everyone on a ventilator or who has labored breathing got steroids everywhere in the world. What is unique about the UK is that you cannot prescribe drugs off label in the hospital. So they had to do studies to try and try drugs like any proper studies they did not throw 8 drugs at a patient. Only the Brits NHS is so cheap to try the cheapest single drug imaginable. They tried dozens of different drugs and only dexamethasone worked. Its the most commonly used IV corticosteroid. Prednisone will work also and is an oral pill. Everyone with pneumonia gets these drugs in the US, but we didn't do the study of any single drug.

The British study was helpful because they actually proved what others assumed and were the only ones willing to constrain treatment of COVID. Not really newsworthy because everyone is also using the same steroids with other anti virals/inflammatories. The British without care in a shameful way. They found that witholding steroids allowed more Brits to die than other Europeans, Americans and Asians who were all getting steroids. It's a nothing burger, but they proved we should keep using them."
    Last edited by dartsndeacs; 06-17-2020 at 01:28 AM.
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    FDA is removing emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine as Covid19 treatment..

Link to Wash Post article
    If you want some hydroxychloroquine, Florida has plenty.

Florida ordered 1M doses of a Trump-touted drug. Hospitals didn't want it

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/06/11/florida-ordered-1-million-doses-of-a-trump-touted-drug-hospitals-didnt-want-it-1292638

TALLAHASSEE ó Florida is sitting on more than 980,000 unused doses of hydroxychloroquine, a drug President Donald Trump touted as a ďgame changerĒ in the fight against the coronavirus, after only a handful of hospitals in the state asked for access to the medicine.

THE quintessential dwarf dartsndeacs's Avatar
    Cousin also says to wait and see about hydroxychloroquine. Studies will be done by the summer. Doctors are still using it elsewhere in other countries and believe it helps and we're now using it less in the US compared to other countries , and doesn't think it's helpful that it's become political. Trust what the doctors are doing and prescribing, not what you read by journalists, and doctors still favor the drug world wide more than any other drug.

Most of the studies showing it didn't help were when the patients are on the verge of deaths so doctors just try anything, and in riskier dosages, as you allow for more risk if the person is clearly dying if you do nothing at all. So he thinks those studies aren't helpful or practical at all. So then you see a study showing people who take hydroxychloroquine die at a higher rate, when they were only given it to begin with because they were about to die. Thinks it might show some value in patients before they become critical.

He told me explicitly if I get coronavirus to request that I take it early. Trust the doctors.
    Last edited by dartsndeacs; 06-17-2020 at 02:07 AM.
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

Quote Originally Posted by palmab03 View Post
    per my cousin:

"british study was with dexamethasone. It's a steroid. Everyone on a ventilator or who has labored breathing got steroids everywhere in the world. What is unique about the UK is that you cannot prescribe drugs off label in the hospital. So they had to do studies to try and try drugs like any proper studies they did not throw 8 drugs at a patient. Only the Brits NHS is so cheap to try the cheapest single drug imaginable. They tried dozens of different drugs and only dexamethasone worked. Its the most commonly used IV corticosteroid. Prednisone will work also and is an oral pill. Everyone with pneumonia gets these drugs in the US, but we didn't do the study of any single drug.

The British study was helpful because they actually proved what others assumed and were the only ones willing to constrain treatment of COVID. Not really newsworthy because everyone is also using the same steroids with other anti virals/inflammatories. The British without care in a shameful way. They found that witholding steroids allowed more Brits to die than other Europeans, Americans and Asians who were all getting steroids. It's a nothing burger, but they proved we should keep using them."

Lots of confusion and misinformation here.

Quote Originally Posted by palmab03 View Post
    Cousin also says to wait and see about hydroxychloroquine. Studies will be done by the summer. Doctors are still using it elsewhere in other countries and believe it helps and we're now using it less in the US compared to other countries , and doesn't think it's helpful that it's become political. Trust what the doctors are doing and prescribing, not what you read by journalists, and doctors still favor the drug world wide more than any other drug.

Most of the studies showing it didn't help were when the patients are on the verge of deaths so doctors just try anything, and in riskier dosages, as you allow for more risk if the person is clearly dying if you do nothing at all. So he thinks those studies aren't helpful or practical at all. So then you see a study showing people who take hydroxychloroquine die at a higher rate, when they were only given it to begin with because they were about to die. Thinks it might show some value in patients before they become critical.

He told me explicitly if I get coronavirus to request that I take it early. Trust the doctors.
    Remind me: is your cousin a doctor?

Rusty Larue
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBumDeac View Post
    Remind me: is your cousin a doctor?
    Only Brad can ask that question.