• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

sounds like some good news on the Johnson and Johnson one-shot vaccine results

issue seems to be they're way behind on production

Imagine quitting your job over getting a vaccine that will protect your health, the health of those close to you and every other member of society.

Imagine quitting your job over getting a vaccine that will protect your health, the health of those close to you and every other member of society.

The 15 out of 508 is about 3%. Not surprising.

I'm being told that the reason why employers can't insist on employees getting vaccinated is the Covid V is only "emergency" approved by the FDA.
In comparison, employers can insist that employees vaccinate for the flu, which has full FDA approval.
Any one know different? I'm also still wondering whether South Carolina is going to extend shots for 65+ per CDC guidelines.

I'm being told that the reason why employers can't insist on employees getting vaccinated is the Covid V is only "emergency" approved by the FDA.
In comparison, employers can insist that employees vaccinate for the flu, which has full FDA approval.
Any one know different? I'm also still wondering whether South Carolina is going to extend shots for 65+ per CDC guidelines.

What is your source for the proposition that employers can't force employees to get the vaccine? My understanding was that they could, subject to religious objections or objections that the employee has a condition that makes getting the vaccine a threat to their health.

I’m confident it will be required by healthcare systems once it’s more widely available.

What is your source for the proposition that employers can't force employees to get the vaccine? My understanding was that they could, subject to religious objections or objections that the employee has a condition that makes getting the vaccine a threat to their health.

A physician.

Figures.

As on these here boards, physicians are good for telling you what is wrong with your body, and not much else.

What a dumb statement. Tell that to the thousands of patients that would have died from COVID but they were intubated, treated in the ICU, and lived.

At my med center, the flu vaccine is required but the COVID vaccine is not.

What a dumb statement. Tell that to the thousands of patients that would have died from COVID but they were intubated, treated in the ICU, and lived.

Calm down, Beavis. My post is just ribbing Tobacco Road about his shitposting.

oh, sweet. Yes, this really makes me look like the shit poster. You got me. Maybe I should change my "bored" name so I can get in a few posts before everyone realizes what a dumbass I still am.

Trump admin told states to open up distribution and that they’d release vaccines from the strategic reserve. How’s that going?

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...ccine-reserve-trump-admin-already-shipped-it/

The Trump administration announced Tuesday, January 12, that it would begin shipping reserved vaccine supplies, raising hopes that states may see their vaccine supply potentially double as they work to accelerate the sluggish immunization campaign. But according to a report by The Washington Post, that promised vaccine stockpile doesn’t actually exist—it was already shipped out—and the limited vaccine supply available to states will remain as it is for now.

The news has not only left state health officials angry and confused by the false promises, they’re also left scrambling to sort out distribution changes. In addition to claiming they would release the (non-existent) stockpile, Trump administration officials told states to expand access to vaccines—now allowing anyone over age 65 to get vaccinated and people under 65 who have a documented underlying health condition that makes them more vulnerable to COVID-19.

I for one am shocked that Trump et al have no idea what they're doing.

Cluster fuck isn't really a strong enough term to describe the massive dereliction of duty from our federal government during this pandemic.

I for one am shocked that Trump et al have no idea what they're doing.

Cluster fuck isn't really a strong enough term to describe the massive dereliction of duty from our federal government during this pandemic.

This is why the acronym SNAFU came to be.

Just got my initial vaccine date; March 12th, one hour away.
Wish it was sooner (don't care about closer) but grateful it's on the docket.

Just got my initial vaccine date; March 12th, one hour away.
Wish it was sooner (don't care about closer) but grateful it's on the docket.

There is reasonable chance you will get moved up if supply problem eases or system learns how to become more efficient.

Eli Lilly said Thursday that its monoclonal antibody prevented Covid-19 infections in nursing home residents and staff in a clinical trial, the first time such a treatment has been shown to prevent infection...“Of course, I think the vaccines are more effective than prophylaxis and likely longer lasting,” Daniel Skovronsky, Eli Lilly’s chief scientific officer, said in an interview. “So this should not be seen in any way as competition to vaccines. It should be for when it’s too late, when there’s an outbreak and people are getting exposed and there’s not going to be time for a vaccine to work.”

https://www.statnews.com/2021/01/21...ntibody-prevented-covid-19-in-clinical-trial/

Lost in the start of injections was the news that Novavax vaccine was starting phase 3 clinical trials on Dec 28, 2020. This vaccine is refrigerstor temperature stable according to the NIH news release.

Novavax NIH press release

Back