• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Pfizer/BioNTech expected to file Emergency Use Authorization request for their Covid vaccine with FDA today.

Wilkes County is one of 10 NC counties where covid is surging right now, I'd be willing to bet that the Tyson plant there is a major cause of it.

Ironically that’s one of the few places in Wilkes where it’s not spreading unchecked. They had a pretty rough outbreak right when it started, but it’s been contained since then.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but two more studies were published this week in the New England Journal showing no benefit of hydroxychloroquine for Covid.

It’s too bad so much time and money was wasted on examining this treatment, which was mainly based upon Trump’s magical thinking.

I know this is beating a dead horse, but two more studies were published this week in the New England Journal showing no benefit of hydroxychloroquine for Covid.

It’s too bad so much time and money was wasted on examining this treatment, which was mainly based upon Trump’s magical thinking.

To be fair, Trump couldn't have thought of it if he sat on it. He had an advisor who could profit from it and Trump thought he could get a piece of the pie. That is the only reason it was ever pushed.

It was also being prescribed all around the world

What has your crazy relative been saying about it lately?

Not sure ya can get into Wharton if you're crazy, but I haven't felt the need to have a told ya so, and I've also stayed away since the election. In talking with some of my conservative friends at this point it's looking like the death rate is significantly below 1%, and deemed an acceptable risk for younger healthier folks in their minds. They also generally seem to want Trump to get more credit for Warp Speed.

Not sure ya can get into Wharton if you're crazy

302dea44b89d1fcdb243fe1d6a8cc15d.jpg

Not sure ya can get into Wharton if you're crazy, but I haven't felt the need to have a told ya so, and I've also stayed away since the election. In talking with some of my conservative friends at this point it's looking like the death rate is significantly below 1%, and deemed an acceptable risk for younger healthier folks in their minds. They also generally seem to want Trump to get more credit for Warp Speed.

What’s the death rate when pubs and your shit family members get their way and there are no checks on spread, leaving our hospitals overwhelmed?

Bamlanivimab, an outpatient antibody treatment, is now available at some medical centers for select patients in the US. If you are a high risk patient (on immunosuppressants, have had a transplant, etc), it is important to be seen and diagnosed early for COVID, as this treatment is only available for those very early in the disease.

Is Ram Jam naming treatments now?

LOL. I'm sure this is more than anyone cares to know, but there is a system to naming these drugs. The "mab" at the end refers to "monoclonal antibody." The vowel right before that refers to the species in which the mab is based, so in this drug the "i" refers to "nonhuman primate." The part before that indicates the intended use (chemo, immune system, circulatory system, etc.).

Astra-Zeneca/Oxford University is reporting 62% - 90% effectiveness for their vaccine candidate. Trial was conducted in UK and Brazil.

Interestingly, best results were from half dose followed by full dose.

BBC link

UK health authorities (the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) have approved the Pfizer vaccine for Covid for use in the UK.

ETA:

Link to BBC article

Britain plans to start the "jabs" (better term than "shots" IMHO) next week. Hospitals first because of the ultra cold storage requirements for the Pfizer vaccine.

Last edited:
Pfizer vaccine

"It does take two doses to get the full 95% efficacy, but there's a possibility some patients will derive protection after one dose so the vaccine can start having an immediate impact," says @ScottGottliebMD.

Had no idea.

can someone briefly explain the nature of a booster versus a regular vaccine?

simply a smaller dose of the vaccine to restart the antibody production?

Simplest explanation and I’m on my phone, the first dose creates a response that generates an adaptive immune response and memory, the antigens in a vaccine though don’t last very long, it’s not a live attenuated or reproducing viruses so the body has a limited amount to respond to. In a natural infection the body would continue to make the response better through antibody somatic hypermutation etc...

Since the initial dose just primes the body for response the second dose trains the body to respond better, you could continuously boost over and over again to either make the initial antibody response last as well as make the response you do have adapt to be better. You will get some protection from the initial dose, if I had to make a guess some people would be 100% protected, most other just wouldn’t get as sick. After the boost almost everyone wouldn’t get sick, a few just won’t get as sick.

Back