• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Moderna press release with accelerated distribution schedule:

45 million delivered to U.S. Government to date
additional 55 million delivered by end of March (meaning, more Moderna doses will be delivered between today and 3/31 than the total (54.6 million) Pfizer and Moderna doses combined administered in the US to date)
additional 100 million delivered by end of May
additional 100 million delivered by end of July

Pfizer is also ramping up its delivery schedule - there should easily be 150 million doses (in a 2-dose regimen) delivered to the U.S. from those two manufacturers by the end of March. Throw in J&J and we're north of 100 million vaccinations delivered by the end of March; at that point getting those doses into arms will be a larger logistical hurdle

Great to hear on Pfizer/Moderna but sounds like we need to pump the brakes on J&J. Fauci saying now [paraphrase] the doses we were expecting earlier from J&J likely won’t be available for another couple months. Whatever the fuck that means.

i took my MIL to a wags in Raleigh and same thing happened. some couple just hung around til last call and got their shots. WAGs and CVS split up the states AFAIK so only one is serving any given state.

Was the couple who hung around presumably in one of the current Phase categories? If not, I'm thinking we're all good with any person getting vaccine faster is better than the timeslot going to waste?

Was the couple who hung around presumably in one of the current Phase categories? If not, I'm thinking we're all good with any person getting vaccine faster is better than the timeslot going to waste?

I mean it's certainly preferable to throwing the dose(s) in the trash.

for sure- this whole Phased rollout sets up some interesting ethical questions, imo

What ethical questions? If there's a limited amount of a medicine, shouldn't those most at risk get it first? Giving to healthcare workers, first responders, teachers should be first. Without them being safe, the rest of us would be at more risk. After them, older people are next and that makes sense.

I would agree with you if there was enough medicine on hand to treat everyone after the first group.

yeah for sure in their 70s. they thought they had an appt, but didn't

yellow states: teachers can get vaccine

blue states: not yet

EuUSWrxVkAIx3vF

source: @bhrenton

DOUBT - "teachers" are not included in the current Phase in PA so map might be misleading

twitter comments suggest there is ambiguity/bad data in some other states - but the point stands that there is definitely inconsistency in administration

you can see Renton's thread:

Yep. That map is wrong. Teachers are not eligible in California right now.

And the fact that teacher vax policy differs within CA illustrates that the ethical questions are far from settled - for teachers, other essential workers, pre-65 with an underlying condition (including obesity), etc.

Thanks for sharing. Unless it is happening outside of Berkeley, then the map is mostly wrong/misleading.

The map key says, “all/some teachers eligible”

And again, the inconsistency within California and Pennsylvania and probably other states highlights the fact that this is nowhere near settled policy

What ethical questions? If there's a limited amount of a medicine, shouldn't those most at risk get it first? Giving to healthcare workers, first responders, teachers should be first. Without them being safe, the rest of us would be at more risk. After them, older people are next and that makes sense.

I would agree with you if there was enough medicine on hand to treat everyone after the first group.

Agree- my question was basically, if there were an open slot and let's say a healthy 48 year old showed up and said 'yeah I can take it now', are we ok with that at this point?

The map key says, “all/some teachers eligible”

And again, the inconsistency within California and Pennsylvania and probably other states highlights the fact that this is nowhere near settled policy

What are the states where all teachers are eligible?

Agree- my question was basically, if there were an open slot and let's say a healthy 48 year old showed up and said 'yeah I can take it now', are we ok with that at this point?

If the person happens to be there and the dose is going to go bad, the 48 yo should get it. However, we can't publicize such things. Otherwise, the system will get massively corrupted by people showing up at locations planning on this or bribing people.

Back