• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

I just spent a week in the hospital with covid resulting in terrible pneumonia. It's been a rough few weeks. I had zero underlying issues and am in very good fit shape (work out 6 days a week), and I am 55 and I had NEVER taken a sick day in my life. Not one. I haven't even had a cold in at least 15 years. But this knocked me on my ass. Dexomethozone and oxygen brought me back to life.

Covid brain is real. At one point, I was laying in my hospital bed staring at a clock on the wall in front of me. Just a regular clock with numbers all the way around. I was staring at it trying to figure out what it was and how it works. I couldn't even figure out how to use a clock. That's how mushed up my brain was. But I am back to work and rocking on now.

I want to kick anyone's ass who says it's a hoax. Including the guy who gave it to me and 5 friends who claimed it was a hoax, and knowingly brought it to us (he lives with his brother right now and his brother had tested positive the day before he came to hang with us, and he was already feeling a fever) when we got together to watch games. I will never speak to him again, and we had been friends for over 30 years. Fuck him and his "it's all just to screw Trump" bullshit. First thing I did after hanging with him was take my 84 year old mother out to dinner for her birthday. It could have killed her. Luckily, she somehow didn't get it.

FUCK people who think covid is overrated. I mean seriously, FUCK THEM. Wear a fucking mask you fucking dumbasses.

Glad you were able to get through it. Any lingering effects, or are you back to normal now?

Yeah honestly its a disservice that the media runs headlines that just create more fear and panic. If reinfecton were common within the given timeframe there would be a lot more known cases of it. Can't report on the positive, like 7 million people have not been reinfected, breaking news!

I think the message here is that it is possible to get reinfected and that people who got it once should not live a care free life following recovery...like say going into a big crowd and kissing all the beautiful women, might be a bad idea.

Yeah. The headline should be that we don’t know and we all need to be careful.

Glad you were able to get through it. Any lingering effects, or are you back to normal now?

I think I'm pretty well back to normal. I never lost my sense of smell or taste which was a plus. I appreciate the well wishes here and in my inbox.

Be careful out there folks.

yeah the headline is misleading but not all together incorrect.

from previous studies we learned that the antibodies don't last as long as we originally thought and people can again get C-19 after recovery from C-19.

language about "immunity" from C-19 after catching is a time-boom waiting to happen...

There is really nothing inaccurate in that tweet from the Lancet, but maybe people are reading into it what they want to see, or fear the most. Confirmation bias is a hell of a drug.

This paper was never intended to be a statistical study, it's a case report from an individual and demonstrates reinfection is possible. Medical journals have case reports all the time on individual cases or a small sample size set of cases that may be of interest to the journal readership. My wife, a vet, published a case report in some vet journal on using a can of Coke to dissolve an esophageal obstruction in a choking horse. If nothing else, it is one place where other researchers get ideas to put together robust studies because most practicing drs. don't have time for that, but they do have good ideas that sometimes work.

slow down bird man. Your fancy talk won't trick me. FAKE NEWS HOAX!

I just spent a week in the hospital with covid resulting in terrible pneumonia. It's been a rough few weeks. I had zero underlying issues and am in very good fit shape (work out 6 days a week), and I am 55 and I had NEVER taken a sick day in my life. Not one. I haven't even had a cold in at least 15 years. But this knocked me on my ass. Dexomethozone and oxygen brought me back to life.

Covid brain is real. At one point, I was laying in my hospital bed staring at a clock on the wall in front of me. Just a regular clock with numbers all the way around. I was staring at it trying to figure out what it was and how it works. I couldn't even figure out how to use a clock. That's how mushed up my brain was. But I am back to work and rocking on now.

I want to kick anyone's ass who says it's a hoax. Including the guy who gave it to me and 5 friends who claimed it was a hoax, and knowingly brought it to us (he lives with his brother right now and his brother had tested positive the day before he came to hang with us, and he was already feeling a fever) when we got together to watch games. I will never speak to him again, and we had been friends for over 30 years. Fuck him and his "it's all just to screw Trump" bullshit. First thing I did after hanging with him was take my 84 year old mother out to dinner for her birthday. It could have killed her. Luckily, she somehow didn't get it.

FUCK people who think covid is overrated. I mean seriously, FUCK THEM. Wear a fucking mask you fucking dumbasses.
Glad you got through it. The long term effects of Covid really freak me out, they sound awful.

So you're really not even going to give your friend a final FU?

guitar, please stay away from your famous friends especially members of the Carolina Panthers organization.

Had to make the joke, man. Hoping for the best for you. Keep spreading the word on how bad this is.

I think the message here is that it is possible to get reinfected and that people who got it once should not live a care free life following recovery...like say going into a big crowd and kissing all the beautiful women, might be a bad idea.

Meh, if it's a 1 in a million shot you get reinfected I think you should go about living a care free life once you get it.

Meh, if it's a 1 in a million shot you get reinfected I think you should go about living a care free life once you get it.

Isn't this what Republicans have been saying about the disease in general? It's NBD. Live your life.

Where do you get 1 in a million? All we know is that one person, who bothered to get retested, was in fact reinfected. How many people who think they are immune are going to go get a COVID test 3 months after they recovered?

More Pauses in Clinical Trials

More pauses in clinical trials.

Johnson and Johnson paused the trial of their vaccine because of an undisclosed illness in one of the participants. J&J said an independent board of experts was reviewing the case and after that would come the decision on whether to restart the study.

Eli Lily also paused trial of its monoclonal antibody treatment for safety concerns.

The AstraZeneca vaccine trial is still paused in the US, pending deeper investigation by the FDA. It has been resumed in other countries.

Well, what about that one person kissing a person in the crowd who has Covid, then passing it to everyone else he kisses after that?

Remdesivir (log rank death rate ratio vs control [95% CI] = 0.95 [0.81, 1.11]), hydroxychlorquine (1.19 [0.89, 1.59], lopinavir (1.00 [0.79, 1.25]), and interferon-b1a (1.16 [0.96, 1.39]) show no effect on 28-day mortality vs. standard care in large, randomized trial across 30 countries (N = 11,266).

Will read more closely later but it is not yet peer reviewed: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.15.20209817v1

Back