• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

There is a significant financial incentive to have a good vaccine. The companies won't make much on the vaccine, but the negative publicity from a bad vaccine could negatively impact sales of other lucrative products they market. There would be "guilt by association" for other products from the same manufacturer.

man, y'all a buncha killjoys. I was hoping to wait it out till vaccine time

Chump created this, knowingly. the blood of 200,000 Americans in on his hands. he knew what this virus would do before it was even reported in the US.

if a pharmaceutical company did this sort of disgrace, there would be a huge lawsuit...and has been.

this is like knowing there is a fire in a movie theater and leaving without telling anyone.

Woof. That guy launched directly into a scripted talking point with the same delivery as he heard from whatever fox or internet figure. Then you can see his brain kind of false start with the Woodward follow up question and then ah fuck it, this follow up talking point will still probably work.

Then there is the "I'm not afraid" guy who seems quite proud of himself. Hey dude, you're not some sort of badass; you're just a confused moron. And what sucks is he will pass it on to someone who will pass it on to someone that ends up dying from it. At this point, I just hope selfish/dumb people like that get it and die from it before they can pass it on to innocent people.

And the other thing that really pisses me off is when idiots like that say things like "we have to open the country back up." Hey selfish moron, YOU are the reason things aren't opening back up. If EVERYONE would have done the mask and social distancing thing months ago, we would be in a hell of a lot better position right now. There is no way I'm eating inside of a restaurant right now, mostly because I'm worried that some idiot like that will be in there also.

Chump created this, knowingly. the blood of 200,000 Americans in on his hands. he knew what this virus would do before it was even reported in the US.

if a pharmaceutical company did this sort of disgrace, there would be a huge lawsuit...and has been.

this is like knowing there is a fire in a movie theater and leaving without telling anyone.

Everything is fine meme

Johnson & Johnson announce the beginning of phase 3 trials for their vaccine. They plan to enroll 60,000 from multiple nations. This plan would have both the largest and most diverse cohort of any of the phase 3 trials so far.

The J&J vaccine is a single dose vaccine and can be stored for months in a refrigerator. All the others require two doses and have to be stored at super-cold temperatures.

This is the fourth vaccine in phase 3.

Washington Post article.

That would be awesome. As someone who is "at risk" I have to laugh at those who are anti-vaccine.
Personally I have a spot on my left cheek for the J&J vaccine. A spot reserved on the right cheek for the Modena vaccine.
And somewhere in between I'll take the Pfizer vaccine and the Astra Zeneca vaccine. I'm tired of being at risk. Bring it on.

Johnson & Johnson announce the beginning of phase 3 trials for their vaccine. They plan to enroll 60,000 from multiple nations. This plan would have both the largest and most diverse cohort of any of the phase 3 trials so far.

The J&J vaccine is a single dose vaccine and can be stored for months in a refrigerator. All the others require two doses and have to be stored at super-cold temperatures.

This is the fourth vaccine in phase 3.

Washington Post article.

That would be awesome. As someone who is "at risk" I have to laugh at those who are anti-vaccine.
Personally I have a spot on my left cheek for the J&J vaccine. A spot reserved on the right cheek for the Modena vaccine.
And somewhere in between I'll take the Pfizer vaccine and the Astra Zeneca vaccine. I'm tired of being at risk. Bring it on.

As long as the trials work out to show safety and effectiveness, I'll be right behind you in the vaccine line.

The Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act is weak in the authority it gives the Food and Drug Administration to regulate these compounding pharmacies. The compounding pharmacies noted in the article took advantage of weaknesses in the law with respect to amount of product made and cleanliness conditions.

They way stepped over the line in claiming "FDA approval" for the product. Unfortunately, FDA and the Federal Trade Commission just don't have enough resources to effectively shutdown these operations. They are playing "whack-a-mole." The existing laws and regulations do not have sharp enough teeth to make it financially unattractive to do this kind of thing.

"Orphan Drug" status was supposed to be for developing drugs to treat rare medical issues. Rare meant less than 200,000 people with the particular disease or condition nationwide. Obviously Covid doesn't fit that.

Good news for people who love bad news:

I just spent a week in the hospital with covid resulting in terrible pneumonia. It's been a rough few weeks. I had zero underlying issues and am in very good fit shape (work out 6 days a week), and I am 55 and I had NEVER taken a sick day in my life. Not one. I haven't even had a cold in at least 15 years. But this knocked me on my ass. Dexomethozone and oxygen brought me back to life.

Covid brain is real. At one point, I was laying in my hospital bed staring at a clock on the wall in front of me. Just a regular clock with numbers all the way around. I was staring at it trying to figure out what it was and how it works. I couldn't even figure out how to use a clock. That's how mushed up my brain was. But I am back to work and rocking on now.

I want to kick anyone's ass who says it's a hoax. Including the guy who gave it to me and 5 friends who claimed it was a hoax, and knowingly brought it to us (he lives with his brother right now and his brother had tested positive the day before he came to hang with us, and he was already feeling a fever) when we got together to watch games. I will never speak to him again, and we had been friends for over 30 years. Fuck him and his "it's all just to screw Trump" bullshit. First thing I did after hanging with him was take my 84 year old mother out to dinner for her birthday. It could have killed her. Luckily, she somehow didn't get it.

FUCK people who think covid is overrated. I mean seriously, FUCK THEM. Wear a fucking mask you fucking dumbasses.

Back