• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

If the media is gonna make me look bad... well, hold my beer...

The conservative media ecosystem and the GOP benefit. They get more clicks and sow distrust in institutions in the name of "freedom." They also can avoid accountability for their elected officials. Uncertainty holes help politicians like DeSantis skirt the fact most Florida deaths been among unvaccinated people AFTER the vaccine became widely available.

Yep

is it media that is making southerners look dumb? seems like they are just filming their answers to questions.

hmmm....

Yeah, I was thinking that these people are doing a great job of making themselves look bad. All the guy did was to ask them questions and film their responses. Same as the Ted Koppel Mayberry story that was posted earlier this week - he just stood on the trolley and asked the passengers straight questions about the 1/6 insurrection and filmed their responses. The best came from the woman who said she hoped the piece wouldn't make Southerners look dumb, and she said this right after her fellow passengers had said that the 1/6 insurrection was staged to make Trump supporters look bad using BLM protestors as Trump supporters. It's not hard to look dumb when you say crap like that.

tbf, it's also an edited media product

I get that, but that still doesn't account for their recorded responses to the questions. I mean, I guess they could have deliberately edited out some brilliant or thoughtful responses to the questions, but somehow I don't get the sense that they got very many, if any. I also have a hard time believing that it took much creative editing to make most of the folks at this rally look or sound any worse than they actually were.

The Daily Show visits an anti-masking rally at a school board meeting in Johnston County, NC and asks some questions to the protestors. Love the lady who said that her research indicated that Satanists wear masks, so...

County next to where I grew up. This seems pathetic. And very accurate.

'Vigilante treatments': Anti-vaccine groups push people to leave ICUs

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-n...accine-groups-push-people-leave-icus-rcna2233

"Others are turning away from hospitals altogether. In recent weeks, some anti-vaccine Facebook groups and conspiracy theory influencers on the encrypted messaging app Telegram have offered instructions on how to get family members released from the hospital, usually by insisting they be transferred into hospice care, and have recorded those they’ve successfully removed from hospitals for viral videos.

Some people in groups that formed recently to promote the false cure ivermectin, an anti-parasite treatment, have claimed extracting Covid patients from hospitals is pivotal so that they can self-medicate at home with ivermectin. But as the patients begin to realize that ivermectin by itself is not effective, the groups have begun recommending a series of increasingly hazardous at-home treatments, such as gargling with iodine, and nebulizing and inhaling hydrogen peroxide, calling it part of a “protocol.”"

This is the consequence of conservatives sowing distrust in institutions so people will elect them to tear down those institutions for personal gain.

Some asshole with a giant "Fuck Biden" flag on his truck parks right in front of the playground at the park.

The conservative media ecosystem and the GOP benefit. They get more clicks and sow distrust in institutions in the name of "freedom." They also can avoid accountability for their elected officials. Uncertainty holes help politicians like DeSantis skirt the fact most Florida deaths been among unvaccinated people AFTER the vaccine became widely available.

Yeah same dude has pulled his kids out of school because of mask mandates and is homeschooling them. He followed that up with "well masks and Critical Race Theory and all the indoctrination bullshit."

It's definitely the ecosystem that feeds the GOP. It's an incredible mix of outrage, consistent messaging, victimization, and entitlement. At one point I was listening to maybe 8 millionaire white guys take turns bitching about how they were getting screwed over while they drank Tito's at their country club before the conversation turned to Maserati's versus Aston Martins. I felt like I was in one of those Daily Show interviews.

Good post. It’s easy for Republicans to employ consistent messaging when they barely have to pay lipservice to facts, actual events, or making life better for people.

Good post. It’s easy for Republicans to employ consistent messaging when they barely have to pay lipservice to facts, actual events, or making life better for people.

It's this, but I also think folks consistently underestimate how incredible modern analytics can be when they're essentially weaponized. Worthless though they may be, the Trump kids got picked up occasionally referencing advanced stats from Twitter, Facebook, and fringe social media outlets - all provided by companies built to exploit the backend metrics they sell. I often tell people about a report I got to work on for DHS that detailed just how much work and money goes into a seemingly moronic chain letter. There were like 500 versions tested across hundreds of thousands of targets before it got a targeted release, with an estimated 6 figure price tag on it. It's so crazy to read all these "independent thinkers" who forward all this garbage around, and do so within 2% of the predicted circulation based on the likely resonance score.

Oh definitely. That’s why you get anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers who rattle off the same talking points.

Obama had an edge on social media in 2008 when it was mostly a young people thing. Republicans have generally had the edge in propaganda and misinformation and they just adapted to social media.

Jesus

Since Delta began circulating widely in the U.S., Covid has exacted a horrific death toll on red America: In counties where Donald Trump received at least 70 percent of the vote, the virus has killed about 47 out of every 100,000 people since the end of June, according to Charles Gaba, a health care analyst. In counties where Trump won less than 32 percent of the vote, the number is about 10 out of 100,000.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/27/...accinations.html?referringSource=articleShare

The Daily Show visits an anti-masking rally at a school board meeting in Johnston County, NC and asks some questions to the protestors. Love the lady who said that her research indicated that Satanists wear masks, so...

i like this idea that "my mask keeps the funky smell of my breath IN, but it can't possibly be effective at keeping covid OUT."

This is actually a pretty classic exploitation of uncertainty to delay substantive action. There really isn't all that much uncertainty, but it is true that the medical community doesn't 100% know everything about how Covid works, which leaves the tiniest window for someone to say "they don't know!" Usually it is someone with an ulterior motive or that stands to profit from inaction. So, for example, with climate change, climate scientists have known for decades that increasing CO2 densities was going to affect global weather and climate, but we didn't know specifically when and where droughts were going to occur, so therefore: "Scientists have no idea!" Same thing with cigarettes...

...but in this case with masks and vaccines, the uncertainty holes are tiny and who is profiting? Like who is pushing these uncertainty holes and why? The profit motivation for tobacco to push cancer linkage uncertainty is obvious and the motivation for Exxon to sow uncertainty in climate is super clear, but who the fuck benefits from masking and Vaccine uncertainty?

DOORDASH and BIG MASK, that's who

Joe has probably gotten a call from MSD already.

"In addition to his [increased] salary as surgeon general, Ladapo will make $262,000 as a professor of medicine at the University of Florida under an agreement between the school and DOH, bringing his total annual salary to $512,000."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/pol...0210924-oc4ltqo5iff7tatyfql62biioe-story.html (behind a paywall)

So basically work hard to become a higher up at UCLA Med, go all in on no masks and such and catch Ron DeSantis's eye to get that big payday.

Yep. And it's troubling that the governor hired a new faculty member for the top medical school in the state and doubled his salary.

Last edited:
Back