Page 134 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3484124129130131132133134
Results 2,661 to 2,673 of 2673

Thread: Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Quote Originally Posted by deaconson View Post
    I for one welcome our coming Polio overlord!
    It produced our greatest President so it wasnít all bad.

If the media is gonna make me look bad... well, hold my beer...

Dickie Hemric
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    The conservative media ecosystem and the GOP benefit. They get more clicks and sow distrust in institutions in the name of "freedom." They also can avoid accountability for their elected officials. Uncertainty holes help politicians like DeSantis skirt the fact most Florida deaths been among unvaccinated people AFTER the vaccine became widely available.
    Yep
    I love mankind...itís people I canít stand!!

Quote Originally Posted by warak View Post
    is it media that is making southerners look dumb? seems like they are just filming their answers to questions.

hmmm....
    Yeah, I was thinking that these people are doing a great job of making themselves look bad. All the guy did was to ask them questions and film their responses. Same as the Ted Koppel Mayberry story that was posted earlier this week - he just stood on the trolley and asked the passengers straight questions about the 1/6 insurrection and filmed their responses. The best came from the woman who said she hoped the piece wouldn't make Southerners look dumb, and she said this right after her fellow passengers had said that the 1/6 insurrection was staged to make Trump supporters look bad using BLM protestors as Trump supporters. It's not hard to look dumb when you say crap like that.

Quote Originally Posted by warak View Post
    is it media that is making southerners look dumb? seems like they are just filming their answers to questions.

hmmm....
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    All the guy did was to ask them questions and film their responses.
    tbf, it's also an edited media product
    semi-aquatic like otters be.

Quote Originally Posted by TenaciousKory View Post
    tbf, it's also an edited media product
    I get that, but that still doesn't account for their recorded responses to the questions. I mean, I guess they could have deliberately edited out some brilliant or thoughtful responses to the questions, but somehow I don't get the sense that they got very many, if any. I also have a hard time believing that it took much creative editing to make most of the folks at this rally look or sound any worse than they actually were.

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    The Daily Show visits an anti-masking rally at a school board meeting in Johnston County, NC and asks some questions to the protestors. Love the lady who said that her research indicated that Satanists wear masks, so...

County next to where I grew up. This seems pathetic. And very accurate.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    'Vigilante treatments': Anti-vaccine groups push people to leave ICUs

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-ne...-icus-rcna2233

"Others are turning away from hospitals altogether. In recent weeks, some anti-vaccine Facebook groups and conspiracy theory influencers on the encrypted messaging app Telegram have offered instructions on how to get family members released from the hospital, usually by insisting they be transferred into hospice care, and have recorded those theyíve successfully removed from hospitals for viral videos.

Some people in groups that formed recently to promote the false cure ivermectin, an anti-parasite treatment, have claimed extracting Covid patients from hospitals is pivotal so that they can self-medicate at home with ivermectin. But as the patients begin to realize that ivermectin by itself is not effective, the groups have begun recommending a series of increasingly hazardous at-home treatments, such as gargling with iodine, and nebulizing and inhaling hydrogen peroxide, calling it part of a ďprotocol.Ē"

This is the consequence of conservatives sowing distrust in institutions so people will elect them to tear down those institutions for personal gain.

Some asshole with a giant "Fuck Biden" flag on his truck parks right in front of the playground at the park.

The conservative media ecosystem and the GOP benefit. They get more clicks and sow distrust in institutions in the name of "freedom." They also can avoid accountability for their elected officials. Uncertainty holes help politicians like DeSantis skirt the fact most Florida deaths been among unvaccinated people AFTER the vaccine became widely available.
    Yeah same dude has pulled his kids out of school because of mask mandates and is homeschooling them. He followed that up with "well masks and Critical Race Theory and all the indoctrination bullshit."

It's definitely the ecosystem that feeds the GOP. It's an incredible mix of outrage, consistent messaging, victimization, and entitlement. At one point I was listening to maybe 8 millionaire white guys take turns bitching about how they were getting screwed over while they drank Tito's at their country club before the conversation turned to Maserati's versus Aston Martins. I felt like I was in one of those Daily Show interviews.

Good post. Itís easy for Republicans to employ consistent messaging when they barely have to pay lipservice to facts, actual events, or making life better for people.

Good post. Itís easy for Republicans to employ consistent messaging when they barely have to pay lipservice to facts, actual events, or making life better for people.
    It's this, but I also think folks consistently underestimate how incredible modern analytics can be when they're essentially weaponized. Worthless though they may be, the Trump kids got picked up occasionally referencing advanced stats from Twitter, Facebook, and fringe social media outlets - all provided by companies built to exploit the backend metrics they sell. I often tell people about a report I got to work on for DHS that detailed just how much work and money goes into a seemingly moronic chain letter. There were like 500 versions tested across hundreds of thousands of targets before it got a targeted release, with an estimated 6 figure price tag on it. It's so crazy to read all these "independent thinkers" who forward all this garbage around, and do so within 2% of the predicted circulation based on the likely resonance score.

Oh definitely. Thatís why you get anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers who rattle off the same talking points.

Obama had an edge on social media in 2008 when it was mostly a young people thing. Republicans have generally had the edge in propaganda and misinformation and they just adapted to social media.