• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

The main reason to wait and not be in the first few million is identification of rare side effects. "One-in-a-million" side effects may not be seen in a group of 15,000 people who received the vaccine in the phase 3 trial. Its the math.

ETA:
It is correct that significant changes would require another whole set of trials.

Ok, so, just for example, if I have a history of chemo-therapy which had, likely, short term but massive effects on my immune system, it may not be a bad idea to wait 6 months and see if any undetected side effects emerge for former cancer patients after 10 million doses have been administered.

If the negative side effects were just one in a million event, would it stop you from getting the vaccine?

Presumably after 10 or more million doses, some pattern might emerge as to what causes the 1/1000000 adverse reaction.

To be fair, they were already filled with anger and hatred. That’s why they’re Republicans who thought COVID was a hoax.

To be fair, they were already filled with anger and hatred. That’s why they’re Republicans who thought COVID was a hoax.

They were more afraid of losing an election than potentially losing their lives.

Ok, so, just for example, if I have a history of chemo-therapy which had, likely, short term but massive effects on my immune system, it may not be a bad idea to wait 6 months and see if any undetected side effects emerge for former cancer patients after 10 million doses have been administered.

If anything, I'd argue that history is more reason to prioritize your getting the vaccine sooner. If there is any residual deficit in your immune function, you are higher risks for COVID complications.
You've survived cancer and riding the backroads of Eastern North Carolina with Dr. Anderson. Don't die of COVID.

Depends on the side effect. if I had a one in a million shot of turning me into a Democrat, I’d pass

Ha; well said. Barring that, I intend to be one of the first in line.
As far as I'm concerned, I'll take the Pfizer in the left arm and the Moderna in the right.
Bring it on.

there is still a long time for Trump to play golf and ignore his responsibilities...it's going to get very much worse before Biden gets in the WH.

Pfizer/BioNTech says they should submit an application to the FDA for approval within days.

"Among 170 cases of covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, in the Pfizer trial, 162 were in the placebo group and eight were in the vaccine group. There were 10 cases of severe illness in the trial, nine of which were in the placebo group and one in the vaccine group. Those findings provided an unmistakable signal that the vaccine was providing protection against the virus."

The trial has 44,000 people so far.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/11/18/pfizer-covid-vaccine/

Kudos to Pfizer, hopefully their vaccine will give society some necessary peace of mind. At the same time, from their study, out of the 22,000 people who got a placebo, 9 got a severe illness, whatever that means. So whatever.

Yeah. This vaccine is just for peace of mind. People aren’t getting real disease that can overwhelm our hospitals if left unchecked.

Lot of time and money to waste on something that's no worse than the flu.

Back