• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

I think on average three people a day are killed by law enforcement officers.

I think on average zero people per day die from getting a Covid-19 jab.

Depends who you ask. I've found that Anti-vaxxers and BLM have the same regard for facts, reasoning, and thought. They do all believe everything they see on the internet though.

But even if you are right (which you are not, because of the J&J issue alone which I don't think anyone disputes, combined with the fact that a certain percentage of those fatalities would be deemed justified), again they are both statistically insignificant in light of the county as a whole and the priority of issues facing the nation.

The guy who called the vaccines a placebo and the pandemic a milkwich is now against anti-vaxxers? Guess any excuse to spout some racist bullshit.

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Vaccines work and Black lives matter. Both are simple facts.

The odds of an interaction with a cop leading to long term injury or death are much higher than a vaccine leading to the same.

I find that vac hesitancy is often based on a lot of other imaginary bullshit, primarily the idea that "covid is no big deal" or "why do we need a vaccine for something that is 99% survivable". I mean, tell that to the 600,000 dead people and their families in the US, or the people in India who are literally burning their dead in open air fires 24/7 to keep up with the corpses. But some people are into covid denial, and getting that shot= admitting maybe they(and their political/social idols) were wrong.

I find that vac hesitancy is often based on a lot of other imaginary bullshit, primarily the idea that "covid is no big deal" or "why do we need a vaccine for something that is 99% survivable". I mean, tell that to the 600,000 dead people and their families in the US, or the people in India who are literally burning their dead in open air fires 24/7 to keep up with the corpses. But some people are into covid denial, and getting that shot= admitting maybe they(and their political/social idols) were wrong.

+1. At this point to deny that covid is a deadly disease and believe that vaccines are unnecessary is literally to deny reality - but that's exactly what conservatives have been doing since at least Trump first ran for POTUS in 2016. Night is day and day is night, and it's better to believe in shadowy and totally unproven conspiracy theories and rumors than to accept what is right in front of your eyes. I've seen it happen with my own relatives and friends and coworkers, and it's disturbing, to say the least.

Vaccines work and Black lives matter. Both are simple facts.

The odds of an interaction with a cop leading to long term injury or death are much higher than a vaccine leading to the same.

Except that no, it isn't.

How many US vaccines are given in a normal year? There are under 4 million kids born each year in the US. What is the normal vaccine schedule - DTAP, Polio, Hep B, RV, Hep A, MMR, throw in 2 more that I probably don't remember. So say 32 million vaccines given to kids each year (ignoring that a lot of kids don't get all of them). Now for the sake of disproving your position, add in all of the Rona vaccines given and we'll say that is 150 million. So say 200 million people vaccinated this year to add in some other instances like flu shots and be extremely conservative, so 200 million is our denominator. And though anti-vaxxers would say this number is exponentially low, let's use the 6 J&J issues as the numerator. So 6 out of 200 million. Pretty fucking small, right? Statistically insignificant, right? Is anyone thinking rationally going to change the current vaccine program because of that? Hell no.

Okay, so now look at cop deaths compared to interactions. We'll use the 1,000 as your numerator (which is being generous, as a good number of those are not unjustified, but we'll use it anyway). But what is your denominator? How many interactions do US citizens have with cops each year? I went to a Hornets game Saturday night. Walked right by 3 cops directing traffic going in. So did 5,000 other people. Walked by them on the way out, too. So that's 30,000 interactions just for that event. Nobody got killed or maimed. Work in Uptown Charlotte with the other 130,000 people? Then you'll walk by at least 2 cops on the way in, the way out, the way to lunch, the way back from lunch. Nobody dies. That's close to a million interactions just for that miniscule portion of the population for 1 day. Drive by a cop sitting in a speed trap who doesn't move. How many cars? Thousands per hour? That is every day. Now extrapolate that across the country for 330 million people. Every day. What is your denominator? 10 billion? 100 billion? Whatever it is, it is an enormous fucking number. So how does your 1,000 compare?

So yes, 6 out of 200 million is a minute number that is statistically irrelevant. But so is 1,000 out of tens or hundreds of billions.

There is some truth to both groups' positions. Anti-vaxxers would say their numerator is much larger than cop deaths, because there are not cell phones capturing their instances. And it clearly sucks for the people involved in both factually correct situations. But both groups' claims are statistically insignificant to their overall respective situations and shouldn't be the focus of much attention relative to other national issues. But they can't see that, and have both skewed all related conversation so irrationally that neither can or should be taken seriously.

I don't think comparing vaccine side effect stats to police death stats is relevant at all, because in neither case are the numbers really driving the decisions of the people involved.
Anti-vaxxers are not anti-vax because of the J&J side effects. Most of them just don't believe Covid is a big deal, and a lot of them don't want to do anything that a Democrat or a scientist tells them to do. End of story. The J&J story might give them a "See? I told you so!" moment, but it has 0 to do with their decisions.
People who are upset about police violence have differing motivations and arguments, but it certainly is not limited to deaths caused by cops. It encompasses everything from communities feeling disrespected by law enforcement, to people who have experienced non-fatal police brutality and discriminatory enforcement, up to and including actual shooting deaths by officers. A person who has experienced this, or has friends and family who experience it, is not concerned about how prevalent it is at a Charlotte Hornets game. They're concerned about justice and accountability for their particular community and situation.

Except that no, it isn't.

How many US vaccines are given in a normal year? There are under 4 million kids born each year in the US. What is the normal vaccine schedule - DTAP, Polio, Hep B, RV, Hep A, MMR, throw in 2 more that I probably don't remember. So say 32 million vaccines given to kids each year (ignoring that a lot of kids don't get all of them). Now for the sake of disproving your position, add in all of the Rona vaccines given and we'll say that is 150 million. So say 200 million people vaccinated this year to add in some other instances like flu shots and be extremely conservative, so 200 million is our denominator. And though anti-vaxxers would say this number is exponentially low, let's use the 6 J&J issues as the numerator. So 6 out of 200 million. Pretty fucking small, right? Statistically insignificant, right? Is anyone thinking rationally going to change the current vaccine program because of that? Hell no.

Okay, so now look at cop deaths compared to interactions. We'll use the 1,000 as your numerator (which is being generous, as a good number of those are not unjustified, but we'll use it anyway). But what is your denominator? How many interactions do US citizens have with cops each year? I went to a Hornets game Saturday night. Walked right by 3 cops directing traffic going in. So did 5,000 other people. Walked by them on the way out, too. So that's 30,000 interactions just for that event. Nobody got killed or maimed. Work in Uptown Charlotte with the other 130,000 people? Then you'll walk by at least 2 cops on the way in, the way out, the way to lunch, the way back from lunch. Nobody dies. That's close to a million interactions just for that miniscule portion of the population for 1 day. Drive by a cop sitting in a speed trap who doesn't move. How many cars? Thousands per hour? That is every day. Now extrapolate that across the country for 330 million people. Every day. What is your denominator? 10 billion? 100 billion? Whatever it is, it is an enormous fucking number. So how does your 1,000 compare?

So yes, 6 out of 200 million is a minute number that is statistically irrelevant. But so is 1,000 out of tens or hundreds of billions.

There is some truth to both groups' positions. Anti-vaxxers would say their numerator is much larger than cop deaths, because there are not cell phones capturing their instances. And it clearly sucks for the people involved in both factually correct situations. But both groups' claims are statistically insignificant to their overall respective situations and shouldn't be the focus of much attention relative to other national issues. But they can't see that, and have both skewed all related conversation so irrationally that neither can or should be taken seriously.

The chance of a Black man dying from police violence over the course of his lifetime in the United States is 1 in 1000. https://www.pnas.org/content/116/34/16793

The chance of a Black man dying from vaccines is 0.

Last edited:
Nice job pubs.

FDA is going to approve the Pfizer vaccine for kids 12-15 years old by early next week.

FDA is going to approve the Pfizer vaccine for kids 12-15 years old by early next week.

Very excited for this. My daughter has been a bit extra cautious since testing positive in Dec. And she is very judgemental of those not following mask/distancing guidelines. Hopefully this will lessen her stress about it.

Very excited for this. My daughter has been a bit extra cautious since testing positive in Dec. And she is very judgemental of those not following mask/distancing guidelines. Hopefully this will lessen her stress about it.

Yeah. My oldest turns 12 this summer. He’s very wary about going anywhere. I think he’d be very nervous about going back to school without it.

Back