• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Dude, you know everyone agrees that there is waste in the school system. And there are fucking idiots everywhere, as it turns out.

Where does the article state 100% of the DoE employees are classroom teachers?

Why are many school districts "notorious" for personnel overhead? Sounds like the tax dollars earmarked for education should be spent more efficiently or allocated elsewhere.

The headline is “40% of educators. . .”

Where does the article state 100% of the DoE employees are classroom teachers?

Why are many school districts "notorious" for personnel overhead? Sounds like the tax dollars earmarked for education should be spent more efficiently or allocated elsewhere.

As written, the article clearly implies that the DoE employees are teachers. For example, "In New York state, teachers became eligible for vaccination back on January 11! And almost eight months later, 40 percent of city Department of Education employees remain unvaccinated? Clearly these educators were not all that worried about catching COVID-19. Apparently the fear of the coronavirus was just powerful enough to make returning to the classrooms unthinkable, but not quite so powerful enough to get them to get off their butts and go get vaccinated." Nowhere is there any mention that thousands of DoE employees are not classroom teachers but administrators, guidance counselors, therapists, curriculum coordinators, HR personnel, bus drivers, etc. And as I've already mentioned, I have no doubt that a considerable number of schoolteachers around the country still aren't vaccinated, but I also have no doubt that most of them are Trumpites or conservatives.

As for your other comment, it's not exactly a secret that there is lots of waste and overhead in school systems. And it's not just urban areas or in unionized states. Here in NC, where teachers unions are forbidden (teachers cannot collectively bargain), it was true for generations (and may still be in some places) that some rural NC school board chairs and superintendents practiced nepotism on a substantial scale - appointing brothers, sisters, cousins, etc. to comfy jobs with the school system, no matter whether they were qualified or deserved them.

ETA: I should add that instead of cutting their funding as Angus suggested, maybe more of the funds need to go to the actual teachers and others who deal directly with students every single day and less to the overhead. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Agree that "DoE employees" instead of "educators" would have been a better choice of words. But I would argue that a principal is a good example of an educator who isn't a classroom teacher (in his or her present role).

However this discussion detours from from the main point of the article - It's not a flattering look for teachers unions and school boards to argue for over a year that schools were (are?) unsafe environments for the students and staff when 40% of DoE employees in NY remain unvaccinated even though the vax is widely available to anyone who wants one.

Obviously the blame lies at the feet of all the Trumpites and conservatives working for the DoE in the Deep Red state of New York.

Just days after mocking tunnels Libs MENSA leftist for posting a misleading (not really) tweet about a Texas anti-CRT law, angus posts a misleading tweet and article about vaccination rates amongst “educators.”

Agree that "DoE employees" instead of "educators" would have been a better choice of words. But I would argue that a principal is a good example of an educator who isn't a classroom teacher (in his or her present role).

However this discussion detours from from the main point of the article - It's not a flattering look for teachers unions and school boards to argue for over a year that schools were (are?) unsafe environments for the students and staff when 40% of DoE employees in NY remain unvaccinated even though the vax is widely available to anyone who wants one.

Obviously the blame lies at the feet of all the Trumpites and conservatives working for the DoE in the Deep Red state of New York.

And I would say again that a majority of that 40% probably aren't as liberal as you and the National Review seem to think, and there's a big difference between a classroom teacher not feeling safe about going back to classroom teaching at the height of the pandemic and somebody who works in HR (or even an administrator who isn't in the classroom every day) saying they didn't want to go back. But the article doesn't discuss that difference either - it just pretty much presents all classroom teachers (and their unions) as hypocrites and cowards. And the main point of that article, imo, is to deflect from the fact that the great majority of unvaccinated people in this country right now are Trumpites, plain and simple (and to get in a few well-placed shots at those worthless labor unions).

So dumb.

An environment can be unsafe for students and staff during an ONGOING pandemic when the country and experts were learning on the fly. Mistakes can also be made. Under and over corrections etc.

Is it dems or trumpublicans, like yourself, that continue to downplay the danger of covid and now new VARIANTS, that have killed 600k+ and rising American citizens?

Same question but about the safety of vaccines? Why has it been so difficult to get that 40% of people to accept a vaccine again?

NY may be a "blue" state in terms of voting results statewide and nationally but discounting the disparity between huge cities and large swaths of rural areas that lean trumpy and thus anti vax is... disingenuous.

But you're not interested in honesty. How's that sombrero wearing coed holding up in your creepy spank bank?

Nashville and Tennessee in general seem to have been in the news a good deal recently regarding covid anti-vaxx, anti-mask, anti-prevention stupidity. And here's another one.

My favorite line from the good pastor? If "you start showing up [with] all these masks and all this nonsense, I will ask you to leave...I am not playing these Democrat games up in this church." Followed by cheers and applause from the congregation.

He must pass the offering plate during funerals.

Any honest retelling of the history of American Christianity is going to refer to 2015-21 as a pivotal point in its destruction. From Trumpiness to how religious organizations handled the pandemic, it just won’t be the same.

3b1350a8eaa26c64cdc0a98655769b5e.jpg

My crocodile tears will be flowing for all the Trumpers who are inevitably going to die during the next few months. My real tears will be for the children and immune compromised humans their self actions kill along with them.

If you choose to ignore COVID, not get vaxxed and refuse to wear masks, it’s probably better for everyone that your lord calls you home. You will not be missed. Your brainwashed children will be in better hands.

For those in North Carolina, COVID cases have begun rising. Yesterday was the first day with over 1000 cases reported in the state in 2 months. I check our hospital system dashboard (updates at least hourly) and we have doubled in cases in the past few days. This is almost certainly from the delta variant. I think cases will rise quickly and we are probably looking at a 6 week surge. Even if vaccinated, I would plan to wear a mask indoors and avoid indoor contact as much as possible over the next 6 weeks.

I wrote this on 7-16-21. Our hospitalized cases have now gone up 7x since our low point in June. I think we are looking at 2 more weeks of rising cases in the US, so my advice remains the same - wear a mask indoors in NC for the next month.

I wrote this on 7-16-21. Our hospitalized cases have now gone up 7x since our low point in June. I think we are looking at 2 more weeks of rising cases in the US, so my advice remains the same - wear a mask indoors in NC for the next month.

Should we get vaccinated now too ?

Our school district just voted to make masks optional.

A teacher I know who started back with students last week has already had 4 classrooms close because of Covid.

Back