• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

Sure, Fox "News" is still contributing to coronavirus deaths by pandering pandemic conspiracies, but DID YOU HEAR ABOUT CHRIS COUMO!

Founder of the anti-vaxx "Christian Daystar Television Network" dies from covid. Go figure.

Darwin at work is the positive side effect of anti-vaxx idiocy. I think that's 5 or 6 fairly prominent anti-vaxx radio or tv personalities who have died from Covid. I'm sure the folks who listen will just move on to the next, but a small thinning of the herd can't hurt. BIH, Marcus, I wonder how many other deaths you caused.

Isn’t that mandate already being challenged in the courts? Why does it need to be defunded?

Yeah I love the argument the vaccine doesn’t work when 40%, largely conservative dumb fucks, refuse to be vaccinated. Guess what vaccine people would say works really well, the Measles vaccine, don’t hear a whole lot about Measles in the good old USA except when vaccination coverage in a community drops, then you hear about outbreaks. What is the coverage percentage that causes measles to return you might ask? Why it’s less than 90-92% of a population vaccinated. Well damn that vaccine must not work, I mean can you imagine what measles looks like if only 60% were vaccinated. No you can’t imagine that because vaccines are a fucking public health intervention that’s good for society that have been politicized by a bunch of fucking cowards who themselves are vaccinated in a bid to stay in power and make money.

You are making my point for me. The measles vaccine is 97% effective basically for life. If getting below a 90-92% vaccination rate results in measles outbreaks, we have no chance of achieving herd immunity with our current COVID-19 vaccines, which offer high protection immediately after vaccination but, at best, offer only about 50% protection after 5-6 months.

I’m just a lawyer though—and a conservative one at that—so you don’t have to listen to me. But you might want to listen to Sir Andrew Pollard.

… Sir Andrew Pollard, head of the Oxford Vaccine Group, told British lawmakers Tuesday that as Covid vaccines did not stop the spread of the virus entirely — with vaccinated people still able to be infected and transmit the virus — the idea of achieving herd immunity was “mythical.”

“I think we are in a situation here with this current variant where herd immunity is not a possibility because it still infects vaccinated individuals,” said Pollard, one of the lead researchers in the creation of the AstraZeneca-University of Oxford vaccine….

Pollard noted on Tuesday that Covid, and the current virulent delta variant, are different. “The problem with this virus is [it is] not measles. If 95% of people were vaccinated against measles, the virus cannot transmit in the population,” he told the U.K.’s All-Party Parliamentary Group on the coronavirus.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/12/her...with-the-covid-delta-variant-experts-say.html

This article, by the way, was written before Omicron was discovered. It’s not clear yet how that will impact this conclusion, but it is clearly not good news from a herd immunity standpoint.

Of course it is true that vaccine hesitancy is also an impediment to herd immunity (the article above says as much), and I wish that the Fox News talking heads hadn’t unnecessarily contributed to that. The reality, however, is that a certain percentage of the population is going to balk at being injected with a relatively new type of technology, approved by a regulatory regime that usually takes 10 years to get through, on which there isn’t any long-term human data. For this reason, these vaccines weren’t going to bring us herd immunity—even without Tucker Carlson—unless they were extremely effective in perpetuity, which they are not. As far as I’m aware, he’s not a celebrity in the UK, and we have a pretty similar vaccination rate to them (70% at least one dose here to 75% at least one dose there).

I’m vaccinated, and I will be boosted soon. I think the vaccines reduce the number of infections and serious cases and I support them. But we should be clear-eyed about their weaknesses and the implications from that when making policy decisions.

Right wing disinformation is global even if they don’t specifically watch Tucker Carlson. I shouldn’t have to explain to a conservative one of their biggest global successes.

Derp derp America fucks the world

I don’t have a subscription to the NY Times, so I don’t know if this issue was presented in the case discussed in the article you linked, but I am curious about the “progressive” response — if women (sorry, I forgot my audience; “birthing people”) have a right to privacy sufficient to override the state’s interest in protecting the pre-viable life growing inside of them, presumably that right includes the right to refuse a government mandated COVID-19 vaccine? After all, the positive infringement on bodily integrity of being required to have a foreign substance injected into your body is arguably of a different order than the negative infringement of not being permitted to remove something from your body that is naturally there, not to mention the fact that the state’s interest is greater in the case of abortion considering mandated COVID-19 vaccination likely won’t lead to herd immunity given quickly waning protection and the frequency of variants. Obviously, the immediate burden of the restriction on liberty is greater for the birthing people, but, unlike the burdens associated with government mandated vaccination, those burdens were a known consequence of voluntarily engaging in the activity that produced them, and, in any event, considering we don’t know the long-term effects of mRNA technology, can we really even evaluate the overall disparity in burdens?

Anyway, I assume the “progressive” response is in favor of keeping your laws off my body, but maybe I’m missing something.

It’s conservative talking points greatest hits volume 10, on sale now! Reframe your argument where someone’s pregnancy endangers the lives of those around them and in society.

It’s conservative talking points greatest hits volume 10, on sale now! Reframe your argument where someone’s pregnancy endangers the lives of those around them and in society.

I was under the impression that vaccines were freely available in this country to anyone who wanted one. Has that changed?

I was under the impression that vaccines were freely available in this country to anyone who wanted one. Has that changed?

right, so who's fault is it that we're not getting to herd immunity? definitely not the party lead by people actively trying to get people to not get vaccinated, right?

WakeBored, are you against all vaccine mandates or just COVID?

Back