• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

It’s somehow that the very first word, public in public health gets overlooked. Your individual right to not do something is great and all until your actions have a sufficient negative consequence to the rest of the public. Your refusal to get vaccinated negatively impacts society. Also I can’t wait to hear what people think “considering we don’t know the long-term effects of mRNA technology” actually means, spoilers it will be 100% bullshit rooted in conspiracy and intellectual dishonesty.

It’s somehow that the very first word, public in public health gets overlooked. Your individual right to not do something is great and all until your actions have a sufficient negative consequence to the rest of the public. Your refusal to get vaccinated negatively impacts society. Also I can’t wait to hear what people think “considering we don’t know the long-term effects of mRNA technology” actually means, spoilers it will be 100% bullshit rooted in conspiracy and intellectual dishonesty.

The right to abortion is rooted in individual rights, which come from the Constitution. There is no Constitutional right to public health. Wrong continent, Comrade.

I'm pro Covid vax if nothing else than for the sham collective confidence, but federal vaccine mandates cannot be logically or legally squared with the precedent set by the abortion framework. The only way to do it is to economically submarine those who don't comply, but then don't be surprised when that same strategy comes back around on abortions.

Someone told me recently, "I'd rather die from Covid than be forced to wear a mask.".

Problem, of course is you are endangering others by not wearing a mask (or getting vaccinated).

It's not like deciding to not wear a seatbelt. More like driving drunk.

Yep, "public" health = communist rule.

Next thing they'll be outlawing private industry and property, for sure.

Dudes out here arguing that getting vaccinated from deadly diseases takes the same toll on a body as carrying a pregnancy to term. Sometimes this sausage fest gets really annoying.

I don’t know there’s a lot of public health power to essentially strip 2&2 of his right to liberty and mandatory quarantine him when he catches some nasty ass BSL4 level disease from eating tainted Nachos from some South Charlotte stripper’s asshole.

I don’t have a subscription to the NY Times, so I don’t know if this issue was presented in the case discussed in the article you linked, but I am curious about the “progressive” response — if women (sorry, I forgot my audience; “birthing people”) have a right to privacy sufficient to override the state’s interest in protecting the pre-viable life growing inside of them, presumably that right includes the right to refuse a government mandated COVID-19 vaccine? After all, the positive infringement on bodily integrity of being required to have a foreign substance injected into your body is arguably of a different order than the negative infringement of not being permitted to remove something from your body that is naturally there, not to mention the fact that the state’s interest is greater in the case of abortion considering mandated COVID-19 vaccination likely won’t lead to herd immunity given quickly waning protection and the frequency of variants. Obviously, the immediate burden of the restriction on liberty is greater for the birthing people, but, unlike the burdens associated with government mandated vaccination, those burdens were a known consequence of voluntarily engaging in the activity that produced them, and, in any event, considering we don’t know the long-term effects of mRNA technology, can we really even evaluate the overall disparity in burdens?

Anyway, I assume the “progressive” response is in favor of keeping your laws off my body, but maybe I’m missing something.

I can't believe you wrote all this. And you think it's a good argument? It's hard to know where to start, but an infectious disease causing a global pandemic and widespread death is different from pregnancy, on so many levels. In addition, the vaccine mandate discussed in that link is for those that want to work in healthcare. It's a requirement of the job.

I just want to make sure I understand. America is fighting a vaccine mandate on the basis of freedom? Serious question

I just want to make sure I understand. America is fighting a vaccine mandate on the basis of freedom? Serious question

My argument is that the “keep your laws off my body” crowd are internally inconsistent in supporting a right to bodily liberty when it comes to abortion but denying the existence of such a right when it comes to vaccine mandates.

Covid-19 - Treatments & Vaccines

So you’re all of a sudden against vaccine mandates that have existed as long as any of us have been alive based on one pro-choice slogan which you yourself oppose.

You have no real stance. Your argument is that you’re trying to argue.

So you’re all of a sudden against vaccine mandates that have existed as long as any of us have been alive based on one pro-choice slogan which you yourself oppose.

My argument is that the “keep your laws off my body” crowd are internally inconsistent in supporting a right to bodily liberty when it comes to abortion but denying the existence of such a right when it comes to vaccine mandates.

Next thing they’re going to do is ban you from restaurants for having cancer! When will it stop!

You know this is trolling but you don’t care.

So I’ll ask again. Are you against all vaccine mandates or just COVID?

Pretty sure if pregnancy was the result of a contagious virus we’d have rules about exposure control.

Here is the nuance….abortion is a personal decision and the effects are only personal whereas taking a vaccine affects you and others around you. Wait that’s not actually that nuanced, is it?

But pregnancy isn’t contagious.

The second hand smoke argument was so easy for everyone. Why isn’t contagious viruses?

Back