• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wimbledon Has Been Cancelled

Well played by the All England Tennis and Croquet Club.

The US Open does not have similar insurance. The only other major in tennis and golf that has this type of insurance is the British Open.

Kings Cross and Coventry Garden too.
Haha, not even close! Kings cross was one of the rougher areas of London until the last decade. The places I mentioned are populated by billionaires.

Not on the Underground, but don't forget Hogwarts.

apparently the big concern with Wimbledon is the short window of time where the grass is at its best, makes moving it to later months like other tournaments impossible

probably the biggest reason they would have such insurance and others wouldn't

The US Open does not have similar insurance. The only other major in tennis and golf that has this type of insurance is the British Open.

Which i assume not coincidentally is the only major cancelled rather than rescheduled.

Which i assume not coincidentally is the only major cancelled rather than rescheduled.

Yep. Wimbledon also hosts 4 lead-up events which were also covered by the policy, and they either lose money or break even. So they were totally fine cashing in on their policy.

Yep. Wimbledon also hosts 4 lead-up events which were also covered by the policy, and they either lose money or break even. So they were totally fine cashing in on their policy.

So the Wimbledon train station will be able to remain open. Thank goodness for that insurance policy.

We were discussing yesterday when the cutoff date would be for The Open to be played, given the climate and relatively short daylight hours after July. Using London as a marker, there are about 10.5 daylight hours in October but only 3 hours of sunlight. Even shotgun starts for the first 2 rounds might be problematic.

they should just roll out some hard courts and play in october. (i mean, i still won't watch)

Back