• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wimbledon Has Been Cancelled

tagsfan

Reaction score
Not just postponed. The latest shoe to drop in the sports world.

Yeah, because she's never won it before.

Federer has to be pretty upset.

Good chance the US Open is cancelled too. It’s hard to imagine bringing close to 1 million people to NYC in August.

The challenge with tennis is the high number of international players traveling in from all over the world. Maybe they’ll figure out a safe way to play without fans present.

First the Masters. Now Wimbledon.
Life is really tough without sports.
Wondering what the new normal will be.

If someone had told me on Jan 1 that within a few months there would be no March Madness, no Masters, no Wimbledon, no baseball, and no NBA, I would have assumed that we were about to experience nuclear war.

Didn’t the French get PPD til October?
Yes (Late Sept into Oct to be exact).

It would come about 2 weeks after the US Open finishes. That's assuming the US Open happens, which I agree with others is unlikely.

Except for golf, hard to think of a sport that is better suited to return when the crisis abates than tennis. Agree that it may happen without fans, but if life returns to some degree of normalcy by June or even July, can see tennis and golf returning fairly soon thereafter. Those are individual sports, which require no physical contact, and since they are not team sports, an entire group of players aren't shut down if a single player test positive. Maybe, I'm far too optimistic, but my guess is that US Open will be played in late August/September, but probably without fans.

If there is no tennis or golf by August, there will be no sports for the rest of 2020.

Except for golf, hard to think of a sport that is better suited to return when the crisis abates than tennis. Agree that it may happen without fans, but if life returns to some degree of normalcy by June or even July, can see tennis and golf returning fairly soon thereafter. Those are individual sports, which require no physical contact, and since they are not team sports, an entire group of players aren't shut down if a single player test positive. Maybe, I'm far too optimistic, but my guess is that US Open will be played in late August/September, but probably without fans.

If there is no tennis or golf by August, there will be no sports for the rest of 2020.

This is all true, but tennis is such a global sport that it is difficult imaging players travelling from all over the world to NYC.

Not sure what multiple sports (tennis, golf, hockey, even basketball) do about bringing people back into the country if/when conditions improve. That said, the Chinese Basketball League is trying to start up again, and that included bringing players, including from the U.S. (which is in the midst of the crisis) back to China which has allegedly largely recovered. Travel for the elite can always be accomplished.

It's easy to play tennis while social distancing, but putting on a big tennis event (even if it's free of spectators) still involves bringing a lot of event and production staff together

It's easy to play tennis while social distancing, but putting on a big tennis event (even if it's free of spectators) still involves bringing a lot of event and production staff together

Totally agree. If, by the end of August/early September (the US Open window) circumstances have failed to improve to the point where a tennis tournament, without fans, can be conducted, then I don't see any major sporting events taking place this year. That includes NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL, College Football among others. All of those sports require at least as many if not more people, in multiple locations, to put together those games than a major tennis tournament in a single location, with two (or four) players on the court at a time.

If someone had told me on Jan 1 that within a few months there would be no March Madness, no Masters, no Wimbledon, no baseball, and no NBA, I would have assumed that we were about to experience nuclear war.

Not to make light of your comment, but if we were now in a nuclear war there would be far fewer countries involved.
What we're experiencing now is everywhere.... a first, I'm guessing, in the history of the world.

Also, Rose Bowl moved to Wallace Wade Stadium.

Back